EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Jaguar XJ 2004

thepolarfoxqx

Empfohlene Beiträge

The current jaguar XJ platform is a very long lived one. It debuted approximately 2 decades back - was enlarged - strengthened - and modified to accept a V8 all in stride - but for all of its brilliance - its time has come. A new XJ riding on a lengthened DEW light platform (Lincoln LS, Ford Thunderbird, 2004 Ford Mustang, Jaguar S Type, 2004 Mercury Cougar, etc.), although this iteration of the platform will be the largest - and will use sophisticated aluminum intensive construction. Weight is expected to be slightly to the north of 3,500lbs - making it lightest in class. Power is to come from a 4.2L iteration of the perenial AJ-V8 - in naturally aspirated form making 300hp with a flat torque curve - and a Supercharged version making 390hp. Both will be very smooth and efficent. Power will be directed to the wheels through a ZF 6 Speed auto box. As of yet there is no word of a V12 - though ford owned aston martin has one available that shares archetecture with the AJ-V6 jaguar engines - so look for one of these in the future. Interior of course is classic Jaguar. It still features and angry chrome kitty on the hood.

• 2 Wochen später...
Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

I will tell you - even in my little jaguar - the feel is less sporty than that of a BMW or Audi, though far sportier than a comperable MB or Japanese sedan of any make (barring Lexus IS). The new XJ will have extremely competitive levels of hp - 390 is not bad - especially when linked to a 6 speed box - and it will have at least 150 less pound to carry around than any competitor. Handling should be better than the current model - as the new XJ will have 50:50 weight distrobution. Keep in mind this, the current XJ holds its own against competitors - all of whom have a platform no older than 7 years - and the Jaguar's dates back over 20. I have faith that this cat will give germany's best a run for their money.

• 2 Monate später...

The Jaguar XJ is a far more sporting car than a 7-series BMW. Always has been. But with the new 4.2, the 6-speed 'box and the aluminium-induced weight loss, it should be a rocket for those who need luxury and space as well as pace.

I do love all Jags, but the S-Type R, XKR and the new XJ are re-igniting the company.

S Type R is overweight, and as such, slow (compared to the competition)

The X Type needs more authentic Jaguar in it (like Jaguar instead of Euroford switchgear), and with a little work XJ could be darned amazing.

The new XJ promises to be truly incredible.

• 4 Monate später...

2004 XJ factory specs are out. With a length to equal an A8, and with a 394hp supercharged 4.2L 32V V8, XJR will 0-60 with a 6spd ZF Auto in 5.0 seconds

Only a pittance behind S600 and S55 - but for less money!!!

(it also has a more classically beautiful interior)

a hyundai. did you just compare jaguar to hyundai? i hope to hell not.

Say pull a ford (like the cobras that were way off)

And, no, the M5 is amazing, it is far faster than any car of its power/weight ratio. For having a smooth shifting automatic, and being a reasonably heavy car, the 390hp Jaguar's 5.0 second 0-60 lags only .2 seconds behind the stick shifted 394hp M5.

Sounds about right to me. Only difference is that the jaguar has the ride of an $80,000 car, the M5 rides like a go-kart.

And what about the M5 and the XJ's max. speeds?

I'm not "comparing" Jaguar to Hyundai, I think you nkow what I meant. And how far off the mark were the Cobras? Because I know in North America, some Sonatas for example were reported at one time to have up to 137HP, when it was more like 125.

• 3 Wochen später...

Yes but it annoys me (and many others) when humanity in it's entirety is considered to be stupid and irresponsible. Let's face it, what percent of people who can afford cars with capabilities of over 250KPH even live in areas where the traffic and road conditions and lengths even permit 200KPH? Why not save us and themselves the trouble?

you can find a road to go that fast on nearly anywhere.

some idiot will do it you know! I think it should get raised to 170, and have a warning chime go off at 140 and again at 160.

• 3 Monate später...

Well, I don't think everyone should be punished because a few people out there are idiots. I think the warning chime is a good idea (I came up with it too), but the limiter is pointless and ridiculous. If yuo're planning on doing something stupid, you're going to do it anyway, and a limiter isn't going to stop stupid people. Besides, if you're planning on speeding in the city, for example, there's no point in limitnig speeds of over 250KPH, because 250KPH itself is insanely fast, and if you go 250 anywhere, you're likely to get killed before you're 40. So what's the bloody point with the limiter then? If they really wanted to make a point, they'd limit your car to 160KPH, not 250! :-? :roll: :P:)

The Jaguar XJ is a far more sporting car than a 7-series BMW. Always has been.

I don't agree with that at all, certainly not " always has been ". If you mean " sporting " as in sporting like a British aristocrat puffing his pipe while on a fox hunt, than sure. But the 7-Series BMW has always been tuned for a firmer ride, and sporty handling. It's one of the only cars in it's class to have a serious sport package, like mine. The history of XJ has been that of a cream puff with a sporty feel. The XJR is a newer development.

About the limiters. They are in place to protect those around you as well, not just yourself. An accident at 100 miles per hour could cause hell, but speed sells, so I suppose they figure that not 150, but 155 is enough to satisfy the speed freaks, and keep the safety people happy too.

i found out why. a number of nations require the 155mph speed limiter for a vehicle to be sold.

the XJR is every bit as sporting as anything out there. Jaguar has always been about sport, for a while they got numbed, but it's the heritage.

plus they have a chrome cat leaping off the hood!

Manditory 155 huh? I know that it was sort of a voluntary thing, something that was just agreed upon among the European manufacturers for the sake of " safety ", at least in the beginning.

What I think is really quite dumb, is the Japanese law requiring cars to have no more than 276 hp. Even though everyone knows that many of those cars make a whole lot more than that. Where did they come up with 276 from anyway??

Once again, that's just ridiculous. I don't see why 155.376 was such as magical number. OK, so it translates to 250KPH. But what makes THAT such a magical number? Why not limit at 260, or 240? How the hell could you possibly compromise by finding the average in this case? The speed freaks won't be happy with 250, and the safety of the people around them will certainly not be in any way assured when they're doing even 180. So who was the brainiac that came up with that? I can understand that some countries have a 155MPH speed limit, but why? What made THEM go with 155MPH? This is all too stupid.

I don't get what the talk about nations regulating speed is all about. Merc, BMW, and Audi all limit their speed, but Porsche doesn't. Jag may limit their speeds too, but TVR doesn't. I think that limiters are pointless as well, because how can some crazy going 190 mph into a tree reflect the company at all? Why can Ferrari and Lambo live with top speeds of 200+ mph? And on one of the Top Gear episodes (the 400 hp club), Jeremy said the RS6 was limited to 155 but that on the test track, he saw 170 or something and "reckoned" that with a long enough road, you could get it up to 200.

I think a lot of it has to do with plain and simple " politics ", or maybe not so simple. The Vauxhaul Lotus Carlton, and Opel Lotus Omega of the early '90s is one example of safety watch dogs having a fit over a supposed four door " family car " capable of 175 mph and up. Something about the sound of " 175 miles per hour " makes them freak. Where as a sportscar is expected to be fast, so its' okay, or else we would have 155 mph Ferraris'.

If a car is readily available to the public in great numbers, and it fits the description of a " normal " car, certain people get antsy about top speed, and hence, they limit it.

Politics.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...