SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

911 V8

thepolarfoxqx

What do you think of the V8 going into 911  

1. 1. What do you think of the V8 going into 911

• Awsome - more power is always better
    • Good - natural progression - porsche has to keep up
    • Ok - Porsche wouldn't do anything bad to the 911
    • Not Good - more weight, what is wrong with the F6?
    • Terrible - 911's have F6s, they killed the world's best line - this isn't a 911 anymore - they ruined it

Empfohlene Beiträge

• 3 Wochen später...
Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 54
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort
  • 4 Wochen später...

Well, I don't think that this will ruin the "spirit" of Porsche, after all, this will still be one of the world's premiere sports cars. The only thing that I wonder about is how a rear engined 911 with a big V-8 can maintain its legendary handling capabilities. Then again, the Porsche engineering staff is among the finest in the world.

• 2 Wochen später...

One never has anything to fear when Porsche is at work. Also, even if they "default to electronics", they will handle any problems that arise. They really know what they're doing. Of course I persoanlly am sick of the current look of the Porsches. They need at least a slight facelift to spice things up a bit. Better engines come and go, and the V8 is certainly better than the P6 (though the 6 had a reputation that has to be earned by the new V8); but looks get updated once every long while.

• 4 Wochen später...

the F6 is amazing. The electronics are nice in foul weather, but otherwise, I rarely get far enough to make a difference as to whether or not PSM is on or off. I'd be sad if 911 got a V8.

Dr. Ferdinand Porsche put his faith in the superiority of a small, efficient, flat engine. That theory has served his company well for 50 years.

Well, maybe the 911 could live with the V8 for a while, and if it's real good, it would earn a reputation as recognizable as that of the Flat-6.

By the way, do you agree that Flat engines stay cooler than angular "V's"?

stay cooler than vees? I don't think they would really, they would have about the same cooling properties as a vee, inlines have different cooling properties, but that is different.

The V8 would work, but it seems more brute force than finesse to me, which is too bad.

• 3 Wochen später...

I agree with the "finesse" part. But I've always heard from pros and non-pros alike that "flat" are cooler-running than "vees" , and "vees" run cooler than "straight" engines. And I'd have to agree. Also, the bigger the "V" angle, the cooler the engine can run. Of course there are many (and I serisouly mean MANY) other factors as most people like you (Fox) know, but that's a major factor as well.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo thepolarfoxqx,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Porsche 996 / 997 (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

Why not a naturally aspirated 4.8 L. FLAT 8? In the same tune as a GT3 it would have 500 naturally aspirated horsepower, should be lighter than a turbo 6. In a GT2 level of tune it would be 600 HP.

a GT2 is turbocharged. I don't know if a F8 would weigh less than a turbo F6, and GT3 levels of output are hard.

That said, I do really take your point, if they were moving to eight cylenders, why not just stretch out the trusty flat six. I don't know. They have a V8 already developed. Maybe they thought a V8 was more versatile. I wouldn't mind a F8

• 3 Wochen später...

Personally I think if porsche spent time and money developing the new V8, they should probably put it to good use: but not in the 911 (and trust me, they wont). The Cayenne, i think, was a mistake and it will PROBABLY die out, however the v8 could be used in a larger coupe, similar to the 928. I think such a car is missing from the porsche line-up. Instead of developing that stupid cayene 4WD (or is it SUV - whatever the F that is), porsche should have developed a replacement 928. Now I know the original was no huge success, but I think now the market is more ready for such a car. That said, the 911 will stay boxer 6, and the most sporting of porsches. I hope Iv'e provided a bit of logic here for everyone.

:wink:

I have a beautiful Porsche 996 C4S, recently I had the 911 Turbo (993) and may be I am going to change the 4S for a 996 Turbo with the Turbo Kit up to 450 bhp. DOES ANY ONE FEEL I SHOULD CHANGE TO THE TURBO OR SIMPLY WAIT TILL THE NEW 911 COMES???????????

I am really studying this, but I look forward and say that may be I should wait till the new 911 or even the 911 Turbo 2004.

• 1 Monat später...

Bringing this old issue up, it seems makers are all just V-8 crazy these days. Legendary cars who's very charictor is directly related to their six cylinder engines are popping up with V-8s'. They are all a bad influence on eachother.

Relying upon electronics to keep a car in check is not only lazy, but wrong; making a potentially superb machine into an imbalanced mistake kept in line only through the grace of it's electronic gizmos.

Porsche needs to have their head checked.

they are under too much VW influence. The lightweight flat six powered car was what ferri and dr. porsche built their company on. if it is lightweight and flat six, it isn't a porsche.

I find many Porsche owners have a narrow definition what Porsche should be. Some will even turn their noses up at the Boxster because to them Porsche is 911 and 911 is Porsche.

You don't find this attitude among Ferrari fans. Ferraris had front engines, mid engines, flat engines and Vees and you don't hear complaints from Ferrari traditionalists.

I look to the founding principals. Enzo Ferrari always built cars to suit their purpose, he always built them with performance over all else, and at the very forefront of technology.

Ferdinand and Ferri Porsche built cars to be small, light, and use a rear engine layout. They used the boxer engine because it is light and has low polar center of inirtia, is is also inherently balanced very well.

I don't doubt that 911 is the only pure porsche right now, but I personally like my Boxster S, its performance is equal to that of a 911 Cabriolet for less money, how do you argue with that? I just hate to see a car that has remained so pure, and maintained being the #1 car in its class for decades using the same philosophy getting radically changed from this. That's all.

• 2 Wochen später...

it's the same V8 they have in cayanne, it is fairly lightweight, i wouldn't say superlight. They are trying to preserve as many similar items with the old 911 as possible. If they switched to transverse, they'd need a new tranny, and they would have to redesign the rear suspension. They will likely take advantage of the V8 being narrower to move it further forward in the car, improving distrobuion (the wider F6 was totally rear of the rear axle, the V8 could possibly squeeze in between the undercarraige on either side)

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...