SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

911 V8

thepolarfoxqx

What do you think of the V8 going into 911  

1. 1. What do you think of the V8 going into 911

• Awsome - more power is always better
    • Good - natural progression - porsche has to keep up
    • Ok - Porsche wouldn't do anything bad to the 911
    • Not Good - more weight, what is wrong with the F6?
    • Terrible - 911's have F6s, they killed the world's best line - this isn't a 911 anymore - they ruined it

Empfohlene Beiträge

Well, I don't think that this will ruin the "spirit" of Porsche, after all, this will still be one of the world's premiere sports cars. The only thing that I wonder about is how a rear engined 911 with a big V-8 can maintain its legendary handling capabilities. Then again, the Porsche engineering staff is among the finest in the world.

The dynamics of the car is not effected because the Chevy LS1 all alluminum V8 is 75 pounds lighter than the 3.0 SC Porsche motor I took out of my car.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 54
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort
  • 1 Monat später...
I look to the founding principals. Enzo Ferrari always built cars to suit their purpose, he always built them with performance over all else, and at the very forefront of technology.

Ferdinand and Ferri Porsche built cars to be small, light, and use a rear engine layout. They used the boxer engine because it is light and has low polar center of inirtia, is is also inherently balanced very well.

I don't doubt that 911 is the only pure porsche right now, but I personally like my Boxster S, its performance is equal to that of a 911 Cabriolet for less money, how do you argue with that? I just hate to see a car that has remained so pure, and maintained being the #1 car in its class for decades using the same philosophy getting radically changed from this. That's all.

Then why, is it, that Old Ferri put his seal of approval on such fine PORSCHE crafted autos as the 928 and the 944. The 944 being the car that was supposed to replace the 911, and if you recall correctly, almost did because it was BETTER. A car that until recently was faster and handled better than its "super-car" brother.

Im tired of all the 911 purist/elitist BS. "A Porsche just isnt a Porsche if it doesnt have an air-cooled flat 6 blah blah blah". Funny, if the air-cooled engine is so elite and so modern and so efficient, then why did they go to a water cooled version again? An LS1 is far from inefficient, let alone crude. Too bad Chevy has something going for it by having the LARGEST aftermarket of AFFORDABLE parts for its Small Block 350. Followed only by Ford in a very close second. Its easy to see why that "crude and inefficient" engine was chosen to replace that supposed work of art. Props to Toy-Jet for his work of art.

I see how quickly it is that you all forget the tail-happy history of the 911 as well. 1973 911 Carerra RS/RS-R anyone? Or do we not want to remember that one...hmmm? Or were none of you there at all for that part? Sure, Ive never driven one before in my life but still. Lets remember what we are talking about here.

I think you all need to take a step back and listen to yourselves and the guy that mentioned Ferrari. They dont complain about front engine, mid engine, rear engine, flat, v, inline this that or the other. They own Ferrari's. Thats how they see it, and that is how we as a Porsche community need to start seeing it. But then, you just have the car for its name most likely, while guys like me at the bottom of the totem pole are the real enthusiasts. Its funny how quickly 911 owners turn their noses up to owners of other Porsche's, while the rest of us wave at each other because we are Porsche owners.

A big wave to all the non-911 owners here, and all over the world. Lets treat them like they treat us....always driving around in their high and mighty over-hyped played-out "traditional" Porsches looking down on us. And the next time you get trumped by a 951, maybe youll start to realize who is driving the real Porsche super car. Time we turned our noses up.

great post, but it was the 928 that was designed to take the 911's place. I agree with you on the change part, change is usually good. As for the turning my nose up to other Porsche people, its only a select few who I ignore. I can't stand it when someone buys a porsche just for the name and knows nothing of the history of the company. When you wave or flash they look at you like your an idot or they slame on the brakes in fear of a speed trap.

...its only a select few who I ignore. I can't stand it when someone buys a porsche just for the name and knows nothing of the history of the company. When you wave or flash they look at you like your an idot or they slame on the brakes in fear of a speed trap.

Same here. It seems to me that most of the people that do that though are 911 drivers because they have their status-symbol cars. Some Boxster drivers are the same way. I think its their lack of general knowledge about the company that makes them give you that look.

Actually, both the 928 and the 944 were designed to replce the 911. The 928 had become popular as a grand tourer and so they were seeking another replacement, the 944.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...