EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Extended Warranty on all S54 engines

RS2

Empfohlene Beiträge

Anyone managed to get an answer yet from BMW in Germany about the 6 year extended warranty on all S54 engines?

BMW will have a massive badwill if they don't implement the extended warranty in Europe as well!

BMW has to take full responsibility for the engine problems as a manufacturer!

/RS2

Extended Warranty on all S54 Engines in M3 coupe, convertible and M roadster and coupe model year 2001, 2002, and until further notice, current production 2003 (Vehicle Identification Number specific).

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. The following letter is being mailed to all customers with cars that have M 6-cylinder S54 engines. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-831-1117 or send us an email through our website at bmwusa.com.

December 2002

Re: BMW … VIN #

Dear Valued M Enthusiast,

We hope that you are continuing to enjoy your M car and that your BMW ownership experience is everything you hoped it would be. At BMW of North America we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations now and in the future. We are grateful to you for your passion and enthusiasm for M cars.

BMW has always maintained an open dialogue with our valued customers and BMW centers. As you may be aware, we have seen cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in engine failure. We are listening to your comments and concerns and have been meticulously researching this issue. We promise to keep you informed of any issues that affect your vehicle’s engine.

To further strengthen your confidence in your BMW and assure you of our commitment, we will extend the warranty on the above referenced vehicle identification number for all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Enclosed is a copy of the extended warranty statement for your records. Please insert this page into your Service and Warranty booklet, as it is transferable to any subsequent owner.

We continue to recommend that you only use BMW approved SAE10W-60 synthetic oil in your engine. Please be aware that your engine needs to be at operating temperature before you take advantage of its full power at high engine speeds. Please do not overrev the engine under any circumstances. Be careful not to pump the accelerator pedal when there is no engine load, e.g. when the vehicle is not in motion. The best, most efficient and safest way to warm up an engine is to drive with moderate engine speeds until you reach the operating temperature.

We assure you that we stand behind our product and will always continue to listen to our customers. If you have any additional questions please contact your authorized BMW center or call Customer Relations at 1-800-831-1117.

We wish you many more safe and thrilling miles in your M car.

Sincerely,

Hans G. Duenzl

Vice President,

Aftersales & Engineering

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Hallo,

toll das BMW die Garantie so freundlich in den USA ankündigt und den Kunden auch noch ein Zertifikat zur Garantieerweiterung auf 6 Jahre b.z.w

100000km fürs Serviceheft ausgibt !

Und wir in Europa sind die Deppen !

Da muß man doch was tun können ?!

Wie RS2 schon sagt müsste sich BMW eigentlich den Unmut aller Europäer

zuziehen !!!

Wollo

• 2 Wochen später...

BMW NA reply from letter to Hans Duenzl

The comments are from Don Chamberlin of BMW NA.

"They believe the changes of the bearings they have made - the change to tolerance at the end of 01 and the recent Nov 02 changes - have 'solved' the problem. But they aren't completely sure."

So BMW have traced the engine problems to a subcontractor of the connecting rod bearings and they have now changed the supplier of bearings for the M3 engine.

"The extended warranty is only being offerred in the NA region - which doesn't include Canada. Don also said that each reseller area made this decision."

An unofficial source tells me the reason for BMW AG not offering the 6 year extended M3 engine warrenty in Europe is that most owners already have a personal car insurance that covers engine failures up to 5 years and 100 000 km or similar.

So BMW thinks all M3 owners in Europe should pay for the engine failures indirectly via much higher insurance fees over the next years...!?

BMW makes some of the best cars, however they are also the worst at standing behind their products!

/RS2

BMW NA reply from letter to Hans Duenzl

The comments are from Don Chamberlin of BMW NA.

"They believe the changes of the bearings they have made - the change to tolerance at the end of 01 and the recent Nov 02 changes - have 'solved' the problem. But they aren't completely sure."

So BMW have traced the engine problems to a subcontractor of the connecting rod bearings and they have now changed the supplier of bearings for the M3 engine.

"The extended warranty is only being offerred in the NA region - which doesn't include Canada. Don also said that each reseller area made this decision."

An unofficial source tells me the reason for BMW AG not offering the 6 year extended M3 engine warrenty in Europe is that most owners already have a personal car insurance that covers engine failures up to 5 years and 100 000 km or similar.

So BMW thinks all M3 owners in Europe should pay for the engine failures indirectly via much higher insurance fees over the next years...!?

BMW makes some of the best cars, however they are also the worst at standing behind their products!

/RS2

RS2:

Owners in Europe usually do not have extended warrenty!!

According to Jasons's BMWs from 03/2002 till current production don't seem to be affected although most production changes took place 9/2002 till 12/2002.

How can I be sure production from 3/2002 is really not affected? Do you know about changes in spring 2002?

Kind regards

MMMPassion

MMMPassion,

I think we have to push BMW AG to offer the 6 year extended engine warrenty in Europe as well.

BMW manufactured and/or designed these parts poorly and therefore they should extend the engine warrenty at their cost for everyone and not only in the US.

BMW made the latest engine updates in 11/2002 (new crankshaft, connecting rod, connecting rod bolt and bearing shells).

See Jasons site under breaking news for more information.

http://members.roadfly.org/jason/m3engines.htm

/RS2

Hi RS2

As soon as I have evidence that my M3 generation (08/2002) ist suffering under poor parts/quality, I will make an sharp, official complaint to BMW. At the moment, I can't see real evidence or proof (Jason's sides show a sharp decline in engine failure as of 3/2003).

Kind regards

MMMPassion

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...