EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Just a silly thought.....

T88TurboStang

Empfohlene Beiträge

Don't let GIR hear you say that.

Actually, the Roadmaster is more around 4,200 lbs. All the B-bodies had pretty comparable weight. Even the big Estate wagon weighed just about 4,600 lbs.

The Roadmaster has a stiffer suspension, and better body control than the Chevy Caprice, so it probably would be a good base for a sleeper. My friend and I always thought the Roadmaster Estate wagon was cool, and we were school boys!

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 133
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort

Your budy has a C5 running 13.65? Sounds like your buddy is having a hard time getting traction. My dad's c5 convertible will break 13 every time and its basically stock except for the corsa exhaust (usually runs 12.70-80's) There's a lot more to drag racing than one would think... the dif between 13.65 and 12.75 looks big on paper but is really less than a second.. An experienced drag racer will almost always get a signifigantly better time than a rookie. .. My uncle's roadmaster ran 13.85's -- i saw it..

He's a pretty experienced drag racer though... And the tranny, although a slush box, was tuneable with the plug in computer and would actually shift relatively hard if told to.

The 4L60-E? That transmission was one of the smoothest 4-speeds around, the same as in the Impala SS, and there was nothing " slushy " about that application. Like jterp suggested, it's all in the programing.

Station wagons ROCK! :D:P

i've driven suburbans with the 4L60E, it isn't that smooth, the shifts are slow from the factory, there is nothing postivie about the feel, and they downshift in a most uncomfortable fashion. I hate autos in general, but 4L60E just didn't imrpess me much.

and 12.7 is the factory number for the C5 coupe from chevrolet. I haven't read a single car mag yet where any driver has pressed into 12s.

I'm not sure about stock, but in a supercharger modified Ford Crown Victoria, the automatic shifts almost violently. It's probably kind of harsh anyway. I would have to say the GM auto boxes are better than Ford's.

No one seems to like that " skipshift " feature much, there are simple things available to override it, but it's funny the way they insist on having it just to improve fuel economy. The fuel consumption on a Corvette isn't THAT bad.

The '02 Zo6 is listed at 12.4 quarter mile, 3.9 to 60...

'02 convertible is listed at 13.1 quarter mile (didn't see a 0-60 time) .. Forgot to mention my old man's C5 has z06 tires as well..

Like I said, there's a lot more to drag racing than meets the eye... Unless you get one of the old pors from the magazine writing the article, you can't rely on their times... just because a guy can write doesnt mean he can get a corvette to hook up on a drag atrip.

i know about the 12.4 for the Z06, but the 50hp and 500 fewer rpms on top, as well as the extra weight do add up against the regular LS1 vettes.

not that i am doubting them, but where are your numbers from?

That was coming from an article in NE corvette owner's club newsletter from June of 2001 -- outlining the upcoming changes for the 2002 line. (I'm assuming the article was cut and pasted from somewhere else, but not sure where)

C&D did a comparo between the corvette models this month- tested coupe, convert, Z71 and Z06 models against each other. I think the numbers were about the same as the article had predicted, I can check when i go home tonight. Funny thing about that test, they tested all the models as they come from the factory and then tested all the models on z06 tires -- other models were getting very comparable numbers on the skidpad as the z06 when equipped with the same rubber. (Z06 comes stock with f1 style tires -- other models come with high performance run flats)

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo T88TurboStang,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Zubehör für US Cars (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Auch interessant: Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige).

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

f1 style? they are just eagle F1s right? it's just a brand name. They are really good tires, but F1 cars have odd tires, i don't think they'd work very well on the street.

ok, i'll have to look for that, thanks.

on the GM's autoboxes being better than fords, i'm not so sure about that. i remember going out car shopping with my buddy two years ago. We drove an impala, a grand prix, a maxima, and a taurus.

the impala and grand prix both had the same autobox, and neither of us could provoke it to quickly downshift at highway speeds. It was slow, it would wait, and wait, and wait, and then it would do a pretty slow shift down to 3rd. The taurus instantaniously found 3rd, then seccond and the downshifts were impressively quick. The upshifts on the taurus were quicker, they weren't as buttery as on impala, but still very smooth.

it could just be how the tranny was programmed, but in use, that seemed to be a great head to head of the two to me. I've driven F150s and Silverados before, ford trannies just seem to be programmed to downshift quicker, i guess i like that.

OBviously they are not f1 racecar tires - those would never pass inspection. F1 is the brand name, but on Eagle F1's the other models performed much closer to z06 specs.

Like I said earlier, plug a computer into the dash and tap a few keys and that impala will be chirping second gear.

Think we got OT a little bit?

Off topic? You're not kidding. This whole thread has been a smorgashbourg. That's odd that you found the Impala slow to down shift, I found the kickdown charictoristics very immediate, and have read articles finding the same conclusion.

I don't know what kind of Grand Prix you drove but it was available with two transmissions that that I know of. The 4T60-E for the 3.4 V6, and the 4L60-E on the 3.8 V6. Not sure what the difference is, but maybe you drove a slower model.

True again, it's all in the programming.

i'm just saying i'm not the only person to find the programming more conservative on the GM autos in general. We drove a gran prix GT (my buddy was too cheap for GTP), we looked at mercury mountaineer and oldsmobile bravada when we bought out land rover. The bravada had an awsome engine, the inline six 4.2L was clearly better than ford's 4.6L V8 in the mountaineer, but the automatic on bravada was a 4spd, the upshifts were needlessly slow, and it took it way way way too long to drop down at 60 to 3rd. The mercury's ford 5spd auto was like it had ESP, as soon as I'd start to go for it, it would find 4th, when the pedal hit the floor, it quickly found 3rd, upshifts were crisp and quick, it was a nice autobox. The ZF 4spd on my land rover has really creamy smooth and pretty quick shifts, the only thing i don't like is that you can feel the elctronic torque converter decouple when you back off, and then recouple when you accelerate or brake. It is amazing how smooth the ZF downshifts.

anyhow, i had an old volvo 740 project car, 114hp inline 4, Aisin-Warner AW-70L automatic, which wasn't electronic, the control valve on it had worn out, so if you floored it, it would let go of first at 42 and then violently drop into 2nd, squealing the back tires and nearly instantly jumping the car to 50.

so the old volvo chirped 2nd. only thing is that it was bitch when you wanted to drive it nicely.

• 2 Wochen später...

just want to say the srt4 is a great car i have one, i also want to say the 440 with a six pack actually offered more power then the 426 but yes the 426 hemi is by far the most contraversial and recognized engines ever i mean come on it got banned from nascar,

A Dodge freak in Yokosuka? Thats a new one :wink: .

You must be a Westerner, either that or the black sheep of all your friends.

Thank you dodgeman for putting in a good word for the SRT/4. Also, the 440 is my favorite overall, and thats' a good point you made about the Hemi. Banned from Nascar, who else can claim that??

My point is, Hemi was banned from Nascar, and who else can claim that? Quattro is a drive system banned from rally anyway, not a muscle car engine banned from Nascar. I could say " whats your point? " but what a goofy comparison. Please don't get into that 400 vs. 426 thing again :roll: .

i don't know how we got on the subjects of trucks since the forum is about the srt-4.....4banged neon.........personally i hate all domestic's except the dodge daytona iroc r/t in which is a bad ass lil car and the viper series but i would recommend this lil car for the kids/pre-adults that want a semi-quick car that is cheap as hell to get. i've actually dragged a srt-4 with my 2003 eclipse gs and i have it supercharged (yes its the 4banger series not the v6)sometimes its very high 13's sometimes its jus a tad over 14 seconds dependin on temp. that day but i laughed at him and soon to find out i had to use everything i had just to win. i'll tell you this i won't make fun of them again and they've got some pretty impressive speed since i've heard they running of their reg. engines just making them turbo'd thats pretty impressive gains... so don't underestimate this car or it'll rip off your boxer's without you noticing like it almost did to me....all in all its a pretty damn nice car if you ask me for under 20k

off the topic i know,

explain how you have nearly nine hundred horse out of a 3000GT VR4, because that sounds pretty wild.

lol i'm not the strongest there is believe it or not there's guys with 3kgt vr-4 with over 1200hp and sum even a lil more and i would be fillin up this whole place with the shit i have and i don't feel like tellin u everything i have so i'll tell u the basics

bulletproofed engine gt30r big turbo custom duel 4" exhaust/thickened cai/(header 4" collector) external wastegate, lsd and alot more customized shit that goes on forever and ever. that should be enuff so u can have an idea and feel free 2 look it up on the internet bout nething in that list and there is also a race gt30r and gt35r that pumps out even more horses with proper tuning don't ask bout the tuning my friend knows all about it mainly becuz he's the one that built it duh lol

ps. i could go more hp with more boost but i dun think so this is plenty enuff its actually 2 much but i'm not gonna tinker with it

well wat u think bulletproofing means? it means that u use different metals

and different sealants to strengthen your engine.

there's not much of a way i can explain it to u except it makes ur engine stronger sry i can't give a better description than that

but i will call my friend that did it and ask him how 2 better explain it and wat he did so u can get a better idea of it even though i think u already know wat it means

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...