EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Just a silly thought.....

T88TurboStang

Empfohlene Beiträge

Since this is carpasion, yet eveyones ideal is on super cars, i was wondering what you american lovers think of the new Dodge SRT-4, fastest productoin car under 20 k with sub 6 second 60 mph, and 14 flat times in teh quarter mile. Turbocharged 4 banger.......shrug man....this thing is a little rocket..

What your .02 about it!!!????

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 133
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort

Prepare to be hung and stoned and have your head cut off. One thing American-car-lovers don't seem to like much is Dodge cars, and the Viper is a Dodge in the purest meaning of the word.

By the way I thought the acceleration times were sub-5 and 13 seconds for the quarter-mile; or am I thinking of a tweaked-out Viper?

with a 0-60 time of 5.7 and and a 14.1 quarter mile, the 2.4L DOHC Turbocharged, 215hp, 5spd SRT-4 is a dodge neon with zoom. For the money, it is a fast car, it has negative refinement, and has durability of well, a neon. I think it is about time we have a car like this, a return of the cheap sports car. I'd never buy one, but some will, it is like a WRX for 10k less.

And, no, American car enthusiasts tend really not to like dodge, in fact, I hear the saying "Mopar, Slow Car, Never be a Racecar" very often.

And to be honest, dodge has, up until very recently, had a quality reccord that is unrivaled in how poor it is.

Well I don't about any of that, but I did get one thing wrong. I was thinking SRT-10. Nevermind. I know what the Neon SRT-4 is. And I think it's go enough ground-clearance to be relabeled "SUV".

Haha, well here in america, dodge is known for htere monster HEMI motors, and in southern cali, vipers are looked highly upon, see many hennessy and lingenfelters, badahss cars!!!

But at the track, they do run consisten low 12s, and even 11s ocasionaly with intake and exhaust, i must asy not a bad combination!!!!

Here we rarely see dodge vipers, and they're sometimes a site for sore eyes! Oh yeah, and we have all the HEMIs you guys have too! they're pretty damn good truck engines (or engines for anything if you care to mod!).

• 2 Wochen später...

in trucks, nothing beats a ford.

and in terms of bang for the buck, the sub 20k SRT-4 runs up even with a WRX - except in terms of refinement. For the price, who cares?

If pontiac ever made their solstice (supercharged ecotech 2.2L) that would give SRT4 a run for the money.

I will have to disagree when it comes to the new trucks I will say that recently dodge has the better product. I have 2 brothers with 2 dodge trucks, one is the older 2001 5.9 magnum V8 making 245 hp and 335 tq, its a decent truck he got the lifted sport package model.

Another brother of mine recently purchased a 2003 dodge ram 1500, with a special request of having the new Hemi engines installed. (normally offered for the 2500 ). In the last 5 yrs or so Dodge trucks imo managed to surpass the quality of the other 2 big companies.

As to what I think of the SRT4, well first of all the power is underated on that car its closer to 250 hp not 215hp. And its a new engine so we cannot tell what type of problems the turbocharged 2.4 liter engine will have yet. I think its a solid products, that will give many other car owners a run for thier money. Only complaints is that its not psi tunable due to the compressor wheel, bov, and wastegate being casted together into the intake manifold. That and its FWD. But for the price it is a great deal I suppose.

the SRT-4 is all wheel drive, and the 215hp seems to be a fair rating for the engine. It is very torquey though. It is based on the 16V DOHC 2.4L we've seen a while. I think boost is low enough that there shouldn't be excessive trouble from that.

245hp and 335ft/lbs is pretty weak from 5.9L, Ford pulls 260hp and 350ft/lb out from 5.4L, Chevy pulls 290hp and 325ft/lb from 5.3L.

Quality control at chrysler has been increasing of late, and is probably nearly in line with ford and GM. Their 4.7L SOHC is the equal of the ford 4.6 and GM 4.8, the Hemi brings dodge even if not ahead. The new generation of ram is grossly heavy. I question the use of rack and pinion steering on such a vehicle, but it has its advantages. Also, Truck Trend reported the anti-lock braking having stability issues in emergency braking while towing/hauling.

As I stated before in another thread the SRT is indeed FWD, just to refresh your memory, it was posted on the Honda Civic Si thread on Japanese Supercars forum.

I agree the the 5.9 magnum was indeed lacking a bit in power thats why for 2002 and on, it was scrapped and replaced by the 5.7 liter hemi which now makes 345 hp and similar tq.

But overall the truck itself is a very nice truck. Altough I question why my brother decided to get such a big vehicle, for large hauls and off roading capabilities when we live in a city, and he never hauls anything!!

I guess I like performance cars, and he likes oversized trucks! :P

i have lots of freinds who believe a pickup is the best performance car available.

they certainly are fun. i guess i just grew up a ford guy. i have too many issues with dodge engineering. the fact of the matter is they are using rear wheel antilock breaks, not all wheel. Their system caused the truck trend test vehicle trailering a boat to nearly loose stability. It is a really good truck, and has some amazing redeaming qualities, i just don't think it has the rock solid total package of a GM or Ford full size.

• 3 Wochen später...

There's that good old typical American attitude towards cars. People like pick-ups for some reason, more-so than sports-coupés. That's a bit insane I think. Then again taste varies from continent to continent, and from country to Country. I'd rather have a small car though, the likes of Toyota's Matrix or Chrysler's Crossfire or Audi's A3 or something of the sort that has just enough room for me and another person and maybe a bag or 2. That's about al I need. Oh, and I'll have a side-dish of skull-fracturing performance with that please, to go.

i think along these lines, the 3 series, an A4, perhaps a 5. Something small, european, and customized for real performance, and still versatile enough for everyday life.

• 1 Monat später...

I think people like pickups so much because they tend to be pretty reliable, and they're also quite versatile. They're also relatively quick. Most pickups can handle quite a bit of abusing too. I don't know if any of you have ever been in southern Illinois, but the rural roads, at least around here, are terrible. Pickup trucks are great because you can drive them on rough roads, through potholes and mud pits, and out of a ditch without shelling out some serious cash for maintenance and repairs.

you do have a point. Having a tough vehicle like a pickup comes in handy. The rock solid torquey V8s never die, and do provide some nice go power. I wish the gearing was sportier in trucks, even with the optional higher diff ratio, somehow getting to 55 at 5,000rpms in 1st just feels odd to me.

My little suzuki suv has proven tough as nails, i take it off onto farm trails in south central minnesota when I go star watching, i can take that car 65-70 on these bumpy unpaved roads with no troubles. If i tried it in my cars, they would quite literally die.

I have always wanted to take the landrover off-roading, but have never had a chance (other than snow). We did although destroy 2 rims and 2 tires running over a parking lot barrier. I would have expected better from the vehicle that can go anywhere :roll:

• 1 Monat später...

I drove an SRT-4 this past weekend... runs very strong. Dealers already have a stage 1 kit that they can install to tune the engine to somewhere around 250. (Engine is rated at 215 to keep power:weight ratio down for insurance purposes... but the STOCK engine actually produces around 230) Stage 2 and stage 3 kits are already planned which change the injectors and exhaust systems to produce over 300 hp.

I dont know where you folks are getting your information about the American view of Dodge.. Where I'm from, Dodge is known for producing fine quality products and is typically favored over ford and GM in all applications.

clearly you are smoking something.

they have never once outsold GM or Ford in ANY segment. Ever. Why?

If they are superior they should be selling right?

The leading 3 truck publications considder the ram "5 years behind Ford and the General" to quote truck trend.

I fail to see how they are the best in any way.

They have the shortest projected live spans on average of any american vehicle.

Truck Trend? I think maybe Dodge was just a little late with their " promotional consideration " check. Sales is not always directly related to which is better. It's like voting, just because the majority wins does not mean they know what the hell they are talking about, it might be the few people in the corner who know best.

What's your projected life span? If someone told you 70 you would dispute it right? With things changing all the time, you can't predict stuff like that. The SRT/4 is kick-ass, and built right. Anyone who disputes that just has a thing against all Neons. ( wink wink )

And remember, Jeep, which builds some of the most rugged vehicles on the market, also belongs to the Dodge camp.

built right? are you kidding me. C'mon now. You set a date. Get me any competitor to the neon you want. We'll both bring our wrench sets. i'll take apart the neon. you take apart the competitor. Any one of them.

I bet one years salary I'll find more fundamental design and material flaws.

Neons are built very very very poorly.

You have absolutely no fact to back up that claim.

We can sit here and make wild claims and biased generalizations or we can have a discussion about cars.

The new Hemi Ram pickup is selling so fast that dealers are having trouble keeping them on the lot - even at a price well above MSRP. That is a fact-- no matter what 'Truck Trends' or any other niche market low production BS rag says.

As far as the SRT-4 goes, it is a solid car with a lot of power. I admit, when the Neon's were first introduced (Hi!) they had some problems... but so does every entirely new vehicle. Having produced Neon's for almost 10 years now, most of the bugs have been worked out and they actually are very reliable vehicles. THe public's response to this new SRT-4 package has been exceptional. The philosophy behind it-- a cheap, no frills vehicle with a lot of power, available for a small amount of money so as to not exclude the masses - is not new to Chrysler. They did the same thing with the Roadrunner in 1968. The Roadrunner is relatively one of the best selling vehicles of all time with over a million units sold.

In addition, Chrysler Co. has several new vehicles set to come out soon also powered by the legendary "Hemi" engine which promise to deliver hords of people, checkbook in hand, to the showroom floor.

-This is how the people that I know view Dodge/Chrysler. They are the innovators... they are doing something new, and fresh, and are actually giving the public the vehicles that they want - as opposed to Ford and GM who keep spitting out the same old stuff. Ford offered a 'hopped up' version of the focus-- turned out a lousy 15 extra hp and was basically a trim package. Chyrsler delivered with the SRT-4. Pontiac launched a huge campaign this summer for the "all new" GranAm.... there's nothing new about it! Chyrsler's new 300C (based on the intrepid platform) is going to be hemi v-8 powered and rear wheel drive -- that is "All New" and it is what the puclic wants.

i think you just proved your ignorance to your own brand.

the 300C is not based on the intrepid platform at all. Intrepid is front wheel driver. 300M shares things with it. 300C, riding on a modified version of the mercedes S-Class platform (oh no! your 300 is a kraut!) and using the Mercedes Benz 5spd automatic transmission unit.

Those hemis are selling above MSRP? Really? even with the over $6,000 in incentives dodge is currently offering on them. They aren't selling for near MSRP. Not much is. Especially not chrysler.

Chrysler lost nearly a billion dollars last year. That isn't easy.

There's a reason why.

They've never been a sales leader in any segement ever.

Consumer Reports and JD power both have very little good to say about neon. In fact, not many people do. I'll give it to ya, SRT-4 is a lot of engine for a little money. Sadly it's in a neon.

The stock neon isn't even close to fast in it's segment. All it has going for it is that it's cheap.

But cheaper cars from korea get rated higher in initial quality and get 10 year warrentees, so go figure.

And the "LEGENDARY" hemi, that is a marketing ploy. Do you know how many cars have hemispherical style comubstion chambers.

Dodge owns the trademark on hemi.

they don't own any patent. Damn near everyone has used the design before. Dodge wasn't the first. They were the first american company to throw it in a V8.

Sure, the 345hp Hemi Magnum is stout engine, doesn't really have much on GM's 6.0L.

So what I'm seeing is a company bleeding money like crazy. Their only good, new, and exciting products are atleast half german (mercedes is hoping they can inject enough good into chrysler they won't die), and even their best thing going isn't far and away the best.

In fact, nissan is debuting their Titan pickup truck later this year.

It's going to have a 5.6L 32V DOHC V8 good for an estimated 365hp and 400ft/lbs of torque, and will hustle the considderibly lighter (dodge ram is obese, even for a pickup truck) Titan to sixty well faster.

No hemi needed.

They've never been a sales leader in any segement ever.

That isn't entirely true. Don't forget those minivans, also I'm sure Chrysler corporation was a sale leader in their muscle car hayday.

The Neon may even be a sales leader with rental car companies, and in their day the K cars too, those boxy things saved Chrysler.

the minivan segment they did hold for some time. I did forget that.

Even in the muscle car days they didn't outsell the general and ford.

the K cars sold well, but ford and GM's answers to them sold even better, to a lot of people ford and GM are the only american cars they would considder buying.

A buddy of mine's family has only ever bough GM and Ford. His sister bought a jeep liberty, and no one in his family would work on it for her. They felt that strongly.

Barring minivans, which they are loosing ground to the japanese on (mostly because their minivans haven't been radically updated in a long while), they aren't tops.

...and you still proved that you have absolutely no fact to backup your biased, unwarranted trash talking.

"JD power" this... "Consumer Reports" that... How about coming to the table with actual experienced fact instead of regurgitating mindless dribble? As they say, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure." Have you actually walked into a Dodge dealer and tried to buy a new Hemi truck? Because I have and they don't have any available. The guys that are getting the few that are available are the ones paying more for them -- regardless of what your little newspaper ad says about incentives. In case you haven't noticed, car dealerships will tell you anything to get you in the door.

Have you ever driven a neon? Have you ever even looked at one in person? Do you have any specific example of something that is poorly designed or constructed on a neon? Also, why make comments about the power of a regular neon? There are people out there who don't care how much power a car has and a base neon is perfect for them.. but we were talking abou the SRT-4. Why change the subject? Have you driven one of these cars? or are you just reciting random musings you've copied out of magazines?

As far as my ignorance toward the 300C goes... I don't care what platform it comes from -- you completely dodged my point and decided to pick at a minor detail. My point WAS that the general public is sick of underpowered, front drive sedans. In an attempt to provide this public with something that they want, Chyrsler is re-inventing the spirit of the Chrylser 300 of the 50's and 60's -- that being a high powered luxury sedan built for the masses. I don't care whose technology it is using-- I applaud Chrysler for using every bit of technology that is available to them without regard to where it comes from. If it has a Mercedes transmission then so what? Mercedes is known for having wonderful transmissions, so why not use one?

Without a doubt most engines employ the hemispherical shaped head. Chrysler owns the trademark from the days when they produced the 'legendary' 426 hemi -- an engine known as the king of the muscle car motors-- with unmatched peak hp and torque. Regardless of whether the new engines' name is used to simply draw attention, the new motor is still a high performance v-8 that will capture the essence of the original with modern applications. If you don't believe me, wait until the 300C is released. Or wait unti the SRT-8 is released. I guarantee there will be a line around the block to get into the showroom.

I won't waste much time talking about your Nissan truck comment.. Have you seen the torque curve? Some of us use our trucks to TOW. We don't really care how fast it gets to sixty. I dare you to put a nissan next to a dodge, pulling a 2000lb enclosed trailer with a 3000lb car in it, at the bottom of a 2 mile, 7% incline.

Finally, if you're going to come back with nonsense about sales leaders in segments blah blah blah.... then don't bother. If they lost money in the past then they lost money. The 3 models we are discussing on this thread are brand new and therefore cannot be judged by the company's performance in the past.

PS. The neon SRT-4 w/stage 3 dealer installed mod would blow the doors off your boxster s for a third of the price.

As far as sales go, Chrysler has had other high points. Lower sales than Ford and GM is just apart of being the #3 automaker, but they have still been succesful. For example close to 100,000 sales of Hemi cars in 1950, and no doubt many other successes later on, I don't know about now, but they used to sell Grand Cherokees' like hotcakes, something like 250,000 annually. A new 300C using foreign parts is no big deal, the 1960 300F had an available French Pont-a-Mousson 4-speed manual.

It's not fair at all to rag on the Neon like that, built very,very,very poorly? Come on now, it's not as though parts are falling off while you leave the dealer lot. I've also stated that the Neon is just fine for people looking for good transportation. No car could afford to be really bad anymore, anyhow - seen a Daewoo around lately? Polar, you should really check out the SRT/4, it would give you a reason to be proud of American cars.

Your friend's family sounds like they are just plain stubborn and close minded, the root of that being fear. Fear that they may find their sister's Liberty isn't too bad after all. As for Nissan, DOHC has no place in a towing motor, they're barking up the wrong tree with that 0-60 stuff.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...