EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

996 Turbo Cabriolet...good or no good...

VitoAndolini-1

Possibilities for 996 Turbo Cabrio or Turbo "S"  

1. 1. Possibilities for 996 Turbo Cabrio or Turbo "S"

• Turbo "S" to keep up Turbo principle
    • Turbo Cabrio , to compete clearly with the 360 spider

Empfohlene Beiträge

i disagree with the whole idea that Porsche needs a Turbo cabriolet.

I own a new C4 cab, and believe that both make up for one another when the Carrera gets the cabrio option and the Turbo obviously gets the Turbo put in it. both are luxuries only one or the other can have, and making a cabriolet for the Turbo will defeat the purpose of its meaning and principle. The Turbo shouldn't need a cabriolet, i've owned a 993 Turbo, and that was too much of a beast to include a Turbo option for it. Yet it was done, secretly by Porsche for the 993 Turbo, and only about 12 were sold- explains why its not needed for the Turbo 996. A 996 TurboS was an idea i thought of and i think it would be more effective than the Turbo cabriolet, simply becasue there are less 996 Turbo buyers, than any other 911. (not completely sure). at $130K, adding a cabrio would move it up in the 150's-70's, which wont sell much at all.

On the other side this could be a good idea becasue Porsche would then have an "affordable" super cabrio, unlike the Carrera GT. Porsche would now have a complete competitor for the Ferrari 360 Spider, or the TVR Tuscun -Targa-, and so on. I would prefer seeing porsche put their money into an "S" for the 996 Turbo we have, and it would sum everything up- hence the 993 had an Turbo "S", why not hte 996.....

all we can do is wait and see..

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

I think they've got to wait until the new 911 comes. Then they can make a Turbo cabriolet.

I've got some images of the new 911 (997) but it's in a magazine. It looks like the 993 from the frontside, the back is almost the same of the 996 but the lights are smaller.

Well, first off, Ferrari 360 is soon to be replaced with ferrari 420 (you guessed it - bigger engine) - and the next 911 will have a rear mounted V8. This should give it enough power to compete. I don't believe a turbo V8 cabriolet (or any turbo cab) should be made, that said, I am sure they will soon enough.

Well, first off, Ferrari 360 is soon to be replaced with ferrari 420 (you guessed it - bigger engine) - and the next 911 will have a rear mounted V8. This should give it enough power to compete. I don't believe a turbo V8 cabriolet (or any turbo cab) should be made, that said, I am sure they will soon enough.

very true....Ferrari is wrong on that part- Ferrari have been through so much, that they should keep their V8 line up in existance.. perhaps a 375 would be more sensible- hence the new 575. but a 420, fall out of practical proportion in terms of Ferrari model line up.

As for Porsche if that is the only reason they are switching to an 8, i personally think its bazerk. Porsche should find ways to make their flat-6 more powerful, look at the 996 Turbo, its still a flat-6, yes with a turbo, but look what it can do; can beat clearly cars like V12's Aston Martins, and come very close if not exact to, Lamborgini 6.0's and/or Murcielago's.

Making it an 8, would also be a miskate in my opinion.

997 preferably should be a flat-6 340HP (going up 20HP)- i will bet sales for the 997 will be lacking, if is an 8, simply because of its increase in price. If it were an 8, imagine the 997 Turbo- be a V8 with turbo, and with Porsche engineering- all plus's, but look at what the price would be... probably in the $200K's..

Did someone just say Porsche should be more like dodge (please wait while I climb back onto my chair from the floor).

Yeah, well, the convertible top is half the fun. Corvette too has a nice roof, but the real roadster has a true softtop. Hey, how about a MB like folding hard top?

There are so many types of roofs, it is truly a matter of preference.

Most deffinatly must not compare Porsche to dodge- lets not run away form the question though, show the 996 turbo have teh cab option or not...

im still neutral, but please express what is on your mind..

It must have the option of some sort of removable roof. I do not care whether or not the offer a Targa Turbo with just a removable insert in the roof or a full blown cabriolet, a sunroof is not good enough for the turbo anymore. Half the fun of a true sports car is hearing and feeling the road go bye. A coupe seriously curtails that.

It must have the option of some sort of removable roof. I do not care whether or not the offer a Targa Turbo with just a removable insert in the roof or a full blown cabriolet, a sunroof is not good enough for the turbo anymore. Half the fun of a true sports car is hearing and feeling the road go bye. A coupe seriously curtails that.

Define a "true sports car"... look at the Mclaren, it is the fastest road car overall- it isn't drop top and would probably never be targa. So, tell me what a "true sports car" is...

a 911 Turbo, is the high end street porsche, disregarding the street gt2 which would less likely be purchased.

as a high end porsche, it should have the best aero dynamics and perform at its peak without to much adjustment.

A cab probably wouldn't sound so bad, but think of the principle.

I am sorry if I in any way offended anyone. I grew up with the understanding that a sports car was a drop top with a rapsy exhaust - and the tires that could be smoked at moments notice. I have emmense respect for what europeans do with cars, but to me a sports car must have a soul greater than its numbers can tell.

• 4 Wochen später...
Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo VitoAndolini-1,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Porsche 996 / 997 (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

Now, this is probobly just me not paying attention to the news, but are you sure about this? I understand Ferrari going to 420, as they have reached the max rpm (and the hp) because of emission laws and therefor search more torque. But I really can't see Porche going for a v8... Now, TVR went from V8 to straight 6, but Porche going the other way. The 6 IS Porche istself, and has always been.

And for the topic, I wouldn't mind a Turbo cab. But I would never be able to buy one, and I wouldn't expect to see one either...

dante

i have heard from good sources that a rear engine v8 porsche is to debut before 2007. Like many other porsche projects, this one could be scrapped in favor of something else. If anyone has heard anything newer, please tell me.

• 5 Monate später...

I think a Turbo cab would be a great idea. Look back to 1988 or 1989 when they had a turbo cab/targa option available, it was a beautiful car but not many were produced. I think with todays Porsche customers, a turbo cab would definitely sell. As for the 993 turbo cab, I can't remember any of those being secrectly produced, perhaps they were just a limited run from an aftermarket tuner?

• 2 Wochen später...

really?

I don't like the idea, but as long as porsche is corrupting their purity (cayanne?) to keep profitability high enough to ensure the 911 continues to be tops, why not a 911 Turbo Cabriolet? I'm sure they'd sell.

They'd sell, BUT it's not the right image ot the Turbo (the carbrio version) Why not try to make a speedster version again instead of turbo cabrio? I saw some pics of turbo cabrio and all i can say is 'wrong'...

I think a speedster would be a great idea, i think the 88/89 speedsters are one of the best looking 911s ever. I think the 996 cab has nice lines to it and if there was a speedster body for one.....oh boy!

Honestly, hasn't there been enough people to hate the Cayenne already? Isn't it about enough? Serisouly, if you were gonna buy an SUV right now, can you honestly say you wouldn't consider a Cayenne Turbo if you were buying an SUV? If not, you must have bad taste, and even worse common sense.

I honestly would probably have bought an X5 4.4i if I weren't planning on off-roading (it is sporty, fun, built well, and can tow 6,000lbs, which is more than I ever tow anyhow). Just the same, a cayanne is just goofy. If you want a SUV, get one, if you want a porsche, get one, if you want some demonic cross, the cayanne is available for you.

I see you are Cayenne hater, ok, It's a matter of thinking. It happened that I 'met' Cayenne half a week ago - stunning. I like It very much. Especially Turbo version! I'll definitely buy one of those! Ain't nothing wrong with the Cayenne - nothing, absolutely nothing!

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...