EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Draggin' my Z3

'96ModZ3

Empfohlene Beiträge

I finally got brave and took the Z3 to the 1/8th to see what it would do. Running street tires (nasty michelin hx's) and essentially a stock 3.2L, I pulled a 9.506 as my fastest time and a 78.68 for my best trap speed. My reaction time sucks right now (best was a 0.741) but I think with some practice I might get it down. It was quite the scene, me and my sleeper Z3 amongst all the racers with their drag slicks and NOS. The best part of the evening was when some guy in a caprice classic with a well massaged V8, NOS (I saw the Purge show!! :bored: ) and 22"rims, (You know the type, wanting to turn their car into an SUV) pulled along side of me at the line. He'd been talking trash all night about how fast his car was and I guess he wanted to make an example out of me. Caprice classic 9.928, BMW 9.506, the look on his face, PRICELESS!! X-) He decided to park his car after that outing never to be seen on the track again that night. What a Blast!!!! I'll be switching out my dif from a 3.45 open to a 3.25 limited slip. I know that's really not the right way to go for acceleration, but with all the torque this motor has and with the limited slip, I hope I'll make up for it in traction. This is a daily driver for me so that's why I'm trying to lower my rpm's. I'll try and take some video of the next one, maybe on the 21st?

Later :wink2:

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo '96ModZ3,

kennst du schon Draggin' my Z3 (Anzeige)? Dort ist vieles zu finden.

BMW Ersatzteile (Anzeige) | BMW Tuning (Anzeige) | BMW Uhren (Anzeige)

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

the shorter the track the more emphasis is on traction. you may be slighter slower with the 3.25 but hey, its really really hard to argue with an lsd. also think: at what rpm were you when you finished?

i love it when people think large diameter rims = traction. even bottle fed, he couldnt keep up :lol: . damaging egos :-))!

what were your 60fts btw? it seems like they need a little work, but the lsd and tires should help that out. then again im used to fwd cars haha. im thinking those times should equate to a mid-low 14s pass in the 1/4

a 2.5 60' means you need to work on your launch. either your spinning or bogging. in a rwd car i would expect a sub 2.0 60ft with decent tires and a decent driver. its all about feathering the clutch.

in my car i bring the rpms up to about 3k-4k and easy out the clutch as quickly as possible but without letting the rpms go bellow 3k and not spinning the tires. its a balancing act, but with practice it wont be a problem.

ill probably get criticized for hurting my clutch, but i dont launch like this all the time.... and thats what its there for, so i dont mind.

the 60ft is a the determining factor in having a good run. this is assuming one knows how to shift.

The motor definately does not bog it runs to the rev limiter before you know it. There's no grip at all in the HX's, so what I had to do was roll of the line and get into the throttle quickly. But if I put my foot to the floor the tires would immediately break loose, it was like driving on grease! I may buy a pair of drag radials to see what the car will really do. As far as my shifts go I think I'm pretty quick, before I figured out how to launch I was through 1st, 2nd & 3rd probably near the 60' mark, the whole time spinning. It wasn't until I backed out of the throttle that the tires caught and that run was a 11.66 with a 60' of 2.876.

As I said earlier in the first post, if I go next week I'll try and take some video and then you'll be able to make some better assessments. I appreciate all the input. :-))!

some say a good way to assume a 1/4 mile time is to multiply the 1/8 mile time by 1.52-1.56 this of course depends on the car.

you dont need to get drag radials, just a good summer tire. uli and i rock out bfgoodrich and both of us are really happy with them. uli has kdw s and those things are intense. i had to get traction t/a since they dont make the kdw or kdw s in my size. get the kdw s. the tread pattern is siic.

if you want a real performer and dont care too much about tire wear, get the new falken azenis. those things are amazing aswell. if i get summer rims anytime soon the will be wrapped with azenis.

Hey Bill,

The motor is basically a stock 3.2 only with cold air and exhaust, the reason that I go by '96modZ3 is because when the Z3 first came out in '96 it only had the 1.9 4 cyl and I swapped in the 3.2 six. That didn't come out until '98 in the ///M roadster. As far as what a stock ///M roadster will do, the only figure I remember off the top of my head is a 0-60 time of 5.2 sec.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo '96ModZ3,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema BMW (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

Thanks. It should put out a little more HP than stock then. I'm running a 3:64 in my 97' and i think I'd rather have a 3:45. I'm running Kumho V700 on the rear. I really like them but they're just about gone. I'm going to have to check out the Falkens.

falkens wear out fast though. the bfgs last for a while. i think the ratings are between 180-220 for the azenis and something like 300-340 for the kdw. i think the newer generation of the azenis has a better rating.

2.5?????? wow. yeah... just learn your car a bit better. i think the worste you should be getting is a 2.2, im sure 1.9's are possible with a GREAT driver. i would shoot for 2.0 2.1 with decent tires and driver.

i find that every .1 off of my 60' i lose .15-.2 seconds off of my ET.

example.

2.1 60' 13.6

2.0 60' 13.4

1.9 60' 13.2

mph stays the same, but the traction changes your ET. thats why ET is more drivers skill, MPH is the how the car performs.

BillCa,

If you're looking for a great tire check out the Fuzions. They're made by Bridgestone and there exactly the same as the G009 <--I think that's the right one. I had these on my car and the level of grip is really amazing! I used these as an everyday tire and also for autocross. They stick really well when it's warm and have excellent wet traction as well. But if you live in a cold climate take them off in the winter. Here in Georgia the winters are realtively mild but there was a noticable difference in traction. On warm days, I would have to really try to break the tires loose to get them to spin, otherwise on a fast launch, they hook and go. They same can be said for the wet characteristics as well, I think you'd be impressed. As far as cost goes they're a great value. I was recently running 225/50/16 and I think the price at the tirerack was around $76.00 + shipping. When I bought these I got them at a local store that matched tireracks price, and installed they were less than $400. I assume that you have a '97 Z3? let me know what mods you've done.

As far as reaction time not effecting my ET.... If I understand correctly dj, I can sit at the light after it goes green, the other guy can cross the finish, I could start and if I beat his et, I could still win? I thought the clock started when the light went green and the closer you got to 0.0 with the reaction time the faster you're et was. Like I said, I'm new to this so I'm just trying to figure this out. Thanks for the help. :-))!

a 2.2 is a good 60ft for a fwd car on street tires hahaha.

you can sit at the tree for a minute and run a 13 and that would be your time. while your opponent could run a 20 and beat you cus you spent a minute at the tree. yes you ran a much better time, but he crossed the line first

'96ModZ3,

Thanks for tip. The Fuzions sound even better so I'll have a look. My car is a 97' M3 with an RMS supercharger and aftercooler running 10lbs. boost. It also has Dinan cams and a 3.64 diff. It dynos at 407hp and 335ft. lbs. (at the crank), so getting grip is a big deal. The Kumhos were a big help but I don't think any tire will keep it hooked up off the line.

96modz3

it depends what kind of racing you are doing. if it is head to head then obviously it will affect the race. you cross first, you win. if you are racing for ET then it has no effect whatsoever. you can sit at the light for 20 seconds and still run a 12 second ET.

the only time reaction time affects anything is when you race head to head, and even then it isnt added to your ET.

It does work real well. It's certainly no monster but it's loads of fun to blow off the unsuspecting...540,740,stock M3, M5.

Hey, no feuding within the family! :wink:

Drag racing isn't really my thing, so I'm just observing this one.

feuding in the honda family is great :D i love ripping hondas with body kits, banners, or alcheezas :evil: and i love telling that the only mod i have for power that is not from the honda factory is an intake :evil::evil::evil:

and i would want to know whats under the hood of any bmw rockin out a fmic. :-))!:evil::evil::evil:

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...