EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Did u see the 997? EWWW, WTF

V12sNuthinElse

Empfohlene Beiträge

You do realize that no one would buy a porsche with a W engine right?

First off, the W engine shifts the weight up in the body. That isn't really a good thing. Seccondly, it's VW thing. No one wants VW power in their 911. Third, mid engine, like a boxster W8? C'mon. They'd toss their 4.5 in there before anything else.

Also, a W8 is smaller, but not lighter than a V8.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Heres something that might ring a bell, bettle. Thats right the beetle and the 911 shared platforms. Why do you think it is so easy to stuff a 77' 3.2L into a beetle? Seriously now, the 356 was also on a vw base.

The advantage of having a w8 engine is the placement. Where a v8 will be long and the front and mid of it will be over the rear wheelbase, you can have a engine of the same output and capacity across and over. This would put most of the weight directly over the rear axle.

This leads to good grip and creates a good base for weight distibution.

Vw dob't have w8, but they do have a w12. So Porsche would have to create it, and you must admit that it would be interesting to see what they could come up with when creating it. Sure it would be two four cylinder engines stuck together much like a v8 however it has other advantages.

Dont get me wrong here, their v8 is intensly incredible.

So I might be wrong eventually...but at least we will know that it wont work, and that will be one more thing we can add to the encyclopedia of automotive plonkers.

A while back in Motor Trend I believe, there was an artist's conception of a proposed ( not official ) Porsche. A modern day 914 with a mid-mounted Subaru boxer-four. While I question the use of a Subaru boxer, for reasons of brand purity only, I think the idea is really great - It looked cool too.

A flat four powered Porsche roadster, cheaper and lighter than even a Boxster. Very simple and reletively bare bones, but with all the good parts to make it thoroughbred. In the class of a Lotus Elise, but possibly bigger. Porsche needs something like this to bring them back to Earth.

On the other end of things, I think a V8 successor to the 928 could be more successful now than ever. A little deversification would be good ( and not like a Cayenne ). Porsche just has to become comfortable with the idea of the 911 not being the top dog regular production car.

The idea of any 911 other than a flat-six is just kookey. It's too much of an institution to be drastically altered.

a newer 928 would be a great thing to have. The 4.5L has more potential than it is being pressed to in Cayanne, i think there is a market for a car like a 928. As for a 914, so long as it is more attractive, so long as it looks porsche, i'd be ok with it. Porsche can do their own flat four. Drop two cylenders from their flat six, or just use the 2.5L 201hp flat six from the original introduction of boxster. Just don't start VW part sourcing. VW is an illness.

As for a W8, the biggest advantage porsche has is weight. A W8 is heavy. Furthermore, it is tall and has a high center of gravity, The output on VW's 4.0L W8 is fairly sad, it's just not porsche material. The W engine is interesting, but it's not that great a concept.

I always thought the W engine was just a clever play on one of VW's own initials. And it is true, there is nothing Porsche about it. Porsche is one of those makers who's mechanical individuality is essential to their distinctive " feel ". One reason why a VW V6 in a Cayenne is laughable.

The engine is there and waiting, I wonder why they are not working on a new V8 car. Surely it must have crossed someone's mind in Stuttgart. Maybe they are in secret.

The cayanne doesn't feel porsche anyhow. The chasis is VW, lots of parts that are fairly generic (as in a ZF everything). It's not a bad car, i'm just not sold on it being a porsche. The W engine would be a mistake.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...