EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

most powerful diesel engine in the world

djfux69

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Your not too familiar with sarcasm are you AWD? Of course they have an idea how to get it out. Classic ocean liners is another interest of mine, I know about Sulzer diesels, and I know that good ol' steam turbine power is far cooler.

does anyone else find it amazing that this thing revs to 102 rpm??? i mean its not a lot, but for something that has pistons the size of a hummer... i think you get my point. lets twin turbo that beast, then itll start making some REAL HP. not that wussy stuff its putting out now. :D

the turbochargers will be retrofitted Rolls Royce Conway turbofans right? all what, 200" of diamter, and you'll need 4 of those babies to turbo it right? :D

It's huge, and 102 rpms is plenty for that big of a motor. Handles like a dove GIR? You are only proving my theory about dutch drinking water being spiked with drugs :D

96" stroke? no wonder it only goes 102rpms, and an inline 14? why?

My guess is they make them as inline because inlines are amongst the most balanced engines. I imagine the ship would be more shaken more if they put a V. Those "hummer pistons" have a lot of momentum when they move even at 102rpm. 14 is a lot of momentum... I'm not imagining the size of the balacing shafts they'll have to put besides a V.

Surely, there may be other reasons, too... but at 8am this is my forst guess:)

The reason why it's inline is very simple, it's in the text :)

The internals of this engine are a bit different than most automotive engines. The top of the connecting rod is not attached directly to the piston. The top of the connecting rod attaches to a "crosshead" which rides in guide channels. A long piston rod then connects the crosshead to the piston. I assume this is done so the the sideways forces produced by the connecting rod are absorbed by the crosshead and not by the piston. Those sideways forces are what makes the cylinders in an auto engine get oval-shaped over time.

If they used a V layout this wouldn't be possible.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo djfux69,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Zubehör für Verschiedenes über Autos (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

well, it could be done with an extremely narrow, say 15 degree bank vee without much difficulty, and that would save space and weight, which are premiums on load ships. I don't know though. I could see the reasoning for using an inline 12 for balance, but inline 14 sounds like it may have some fron to back vibration going on. Either way, doubtful i'll ever have to worry about that. How do you fix one of these huge things once it's in the ship. All the parts are so big they need a crane to be put in place.

It's not so much the configuration that matters, ( although with pistons the size of a Hummer, that would be a factor to consider. ) because of course there are some very smooth V engines. My guess for an inline engine would be for simplicity, and also to save space. ( What would they do with all that space in the middle if it were a V? ) And as for 14 cylinders, they probably had a target output in mind, and thats' what it took.

Any way, Diesel sucks. Big, smelly, and noisy. No glamour at all. Since we're on the subject of ship power, let me talk a bit about the S.S. United States, my favorite big ship of modern times. The S.S. United States, or the " Big U " as she was commonly referd to, is to this day the fastest ocean liner in history.

usextr1.jpg

Breaking the record both ways across the Atlantic on her maiden journey in 1952 traveling at less than 2/3 power. We're talking about a ship that is over 100ft. longer and nearly 10ft. wider than the famous Titanic, but not that much heavier. The Big U was powered by four Westinghouse steam turbine engines producing a combined maximum power of 241,785 shaft horsepower. and spun to a maximum 5,000 rpms. Top recorded speed for the United States was 38.32 knots ( 44.1mph. ) during sea trials. Faster than any other large ship, including Navy, in the world. The performance of modern day Diesel liners is nothing like this at all.

* Here is a cross section of engine room #4 ... Note the ladder in the upper right.

u4pro.jpg

Now thats traveling! :P

what happened to the great days of romantic travel? Great steam engines, Perhaps take a zeppelin across the ocean, what better way to travel is there? And a huge steam engine like that turning 5,000 rpms? Wow. That's cranking. Diesel isn't the right thing for ships. I don't know, the QEII has always been a bit of a dream of mine if i ever went to england and had the time. 38 kts? I think the seawolf class of submarine is rated to do over 40 kts, but i don't know of any capital ships capable of topping 38, that is impressive.

What happened to the great ships?

What happened to the great ships is air travel. Someday I want to take a trip on a freighter, this is one of the little known joys of sea travel. No huge crowds, the service is really personal, and it's a lot cheaper than your typical " cruise ". It's true adventure on the high seas.

Turbine ship power is making a comeback in the form of gas turbines, basically huge jet engines. The Seawolf class sub has a maximum speed of 35 knots dived, and a " silent " speed of 20. I would love to see a modern day return of the airship!

The Big U operated with a near perfect service record until 1969. The technical specs for the ship are amazing, it was built to military specs, and could be converted to troop ship in a day. It was built with duplicates of every safety measure possible, with hardly any wood on board at all. The engines themselves were designed to power an aircraft carrier.

The United States sat docked for many years in New Jersey, and recently was purchased by Norwegian Cruise Lines. Those bastards want to turn it into a Diesel cruiser :x . The ship really deserves to be restored, and protected as a national landmark.

Ok, it's been a long time since my engineering class in high school, but over 50% heat efficiency in an internal combustion engine sounds like a bunch of BS. The super-refined engines of racing usually don't even hit 40%. I may be mistaken, but I think that I am not.

it should be restored as a national landmark, and i'd love to travel by freighter. I have a lifelong dream of one day setting foot on antarctica. The ships needed to go there are definately high seas adventure. The challenge is finding one with a crew whose language i speak. oh well.

A diesel cruiser. That is sad. it shouldn't be sold. And racing engines are made for output, not efficeincy. Breaking 50% on internal combustion isn't easy, but it is doable. Gas turbines have little trouble with it, but gas turbines don't have the emotion the good o'l steamers had.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...