EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

I saw an old 944 for sale

DPMP

Empfohlene Beiträge

I haven't looked at the car in detail yet, but it's probably an earlier 80's model, and doesn't have a good paint job and probably needs some mechanical works too. The asking price is $1800.

1. Should I buy it for restoration?

2. What should I look for to ensure it is not an expensive restoration?

3. How many different versions of the 944 can exist in a model year? If there are more than one, which would be your preference, which would be the better version?

4. What are the typical problems associated with those earlier model year?

5. If your recommendation is "go for it", where are the places that I should go to find the Porsche parts?

Appreciate your input. I love that car and love to drive one.

DPMP

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
1. Should I buy it for restoration?

NO WAY! You can pick up a nice 944 with nothing wrong with it for the same money your going to put into this one.

2. What should I look for to ensure it is not an expensive restoration?

If you buy it anyway, make sure they have all the service records.

3. How many different versions of the 944 can exist in a model year? If there are more than one, which would be your preference, which would be the better version?

If I were buying, I would look for a post 1985.5, new style dash and lots of improvements. In 1986/87, they had the turbo and N/A 944, I think in 88 they had 3 versions: 944, 944S2, and the 944 Turbo (951)

Good luck and keep us updated

• 2 Wochen später...
  • 4 Wochen später...
If you have to ask those questions run far far away! That is a very hard car to maintiain/keep running!!! !

I have 2 944s (87 944S "everyday driver" and a 89 944turbo S"weekend racer") they are not hard to maintian and have always started everytime I turn the key. thats more than I can say for some of the other cars I have had. They are very strong cars and if you get a turbo you can get some nice HP with a few mods. I have my turbo S putting out just under 400rwhp and it will smoke about anything you come across. the na cars are not going to blow your mind with hp (std 944 85.5 and up have 158hp, 944S has 190hp ,the 944 S2 has around 215)but they do handle VERY well.The turbos will give you much better power but power but the old type turbos will have felt lag but nothing that can't be easy upgraded. if you do go with a 944 go with a 1985.5 and up and have fun

the rear transaxle driveline makes some procedures more difficult, or atleast less straight forward. They are solid, but no more so than any german car of the era. I know people who have them, and if they aren't maintained well, they won't hold up much at all. They just aren't at all tollerant of neglegence or severe abuse. They do handle really well, but it isn't like they are out of the reach of other cars of the day in terms of handling.

I'll give you this, at porsche and BMW car club events, the 944s usually beat the E30s, my theory on the matter is that 944 was tuned sportier out of the box, and not everyone has ajusted their E30 far enough towards handling, and the six cylender powered E30s don't have the balance 944 has. The 318i - without too much work holds its own.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...