EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

The best car never made

LeeJay

Empfohlene Beiträge

What do you think is the best car you have ever seen as a concept, and you thought :o "that would be brilliant if they made that!" but for whatever reason it never came about or was changed massively before it went into production? :(

The best car that never was.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

It looks as though the SLR is going to fit into this category. It had massive styling changes, especially in the interior. The prototype interior is far supreme to the production interior.

Before:

slr18.jpg

And After:

slrmclaren7.jpg

These aren't the greatest of pics, the first isn't in the color that I saw before and the second is at a weird angle. If I find some better ones, I'll post them.

In this case, I can't say all the changes to the interior are bad. The concept interior is actually kind of strange in places. Check the steering wheel, and gearshift knob, or should I say toggle switch? :o .

The production interior is a lot more conventional, but probably better suited as a driver's work station.

Best concept car never made? I'll have to think about that one for awhile.

Well as for practicality, that squarish looking thing in the middle of the console is a pop out computer screen, which has everything that you need. I can't access the pic I had before which shows the old interior in light brown with aluminum, its very sweet.

• 4 Wochen später...

The interior of a concet is always arty and strange. I guess the design people, thinking they won't produce the car anywayz, just go all out on the interior not thinking about production or practicality.

Anywayz I would say that the best car never produced is that M8.

Designers always go all out, if they didn't, and actually thought of practicalities, it would limit them creatively. We don't want that.

What about the 1938 Buick Y-Job, that was a pretty slick car. And GM's first " concept car ".

And the 1995 Aston Martin Lagonda Vignale, I thought was pretty neat, especially the interior.

vignale.jpg

i was taken with mazda RX-8's original concept, sporting a sidestick instead of pedals and a wheel, and a HUD instead of a panel, it was an interesting glance into the future, if only because it all made sense. As a pilot, i can tell you all of the things they had there work in aircraft, and i see no reason they coulnd't work in cars, if only we could make the transition. for some reason paradigms in cars are hard to break. oh well.

Would you really want to be fiddling with a joystick on a twisty backroad? No driver involvement. Also, stick responses might be too immediate for most people to handle, were talking tight formation with other cars here, which is completely different than clear open sky. Also, a wheel ( or a yoke ) is much easier to modulate.

Besides, who wants to risk getting Carpal Tunnel syndrome on their way to work :roll: ?

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo LeeJay,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Verschiedenes über Autos (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1
Designers always go all out, if they didn't, and actually thought of practicalities, it would limit them creatively. We don't want that.

LOL! What kind of work do you do Cable? I'm just curious. You seem like the artist or architect type.

You know I have the same "problem" with my tech and design department. But over the years I've learned howto handle both departments. If I would let any of the 2 departments go their own way I'd end up with a product which is impractical, unuseable or has 0 functionality which in the end leads to a product nobody wants.

You can design the most beatifull devices and can poor them full of functionality but if it's unuseable or impractical then nobody wants it.

Philips had many problems like that and I guess I'm lucky to have a playground like Philips to learn because if I would make the same mistakes in my company then I would be bancrupt by now.

Like over at Whirpool they used to design washing machines which were full off functionality. There was a washing program for every thinkable situation. But turns out that people at home (women) only use 2 or 3 programs colors, whites and special (like wul or silk) they don't use any other programs. So here you have a washing machine that has all these programs and the user has to surf through a set of menus just to setup 1 wash. Nobody wants that.

Same goes for personal entertainment. They used to design the most beautifull stuff, if you'd see those things you'd just gasp at them. But turns out that the buttons are too small and in impractical places. Again nobody wants that and because it has a weird shape it's very hard to produce making it expensive.

Main line being that as much as you would like to give any department free rain, you can't. People at home don't care about how beautifull it is or how many programs it has, well at first they might. But when they have to use it on a day to day basis and it turns out to be very impractical to use they will never come back to you. Once you lose one customer you lose 10 potential customers and your company comes into a downward spiral because there wil always be someone who does it beter then you.

I'm a freelance artist, the artsiest kind. I am huge on design, although Polar would just say I'm " touchy feely " :D .

The worlds of Design, and that of Engineering seem to be in a strange flux these days. We have devices with very complicated functions, all rolled up into a very strange and " high concept " package straight from the art department. The more complicated the operation of something is, the simpler it should be designed. A toaster on the other hand, I have seen some beautiful toasters. But it's also a reletively simple device to operate. Combining both worlds into a functional and attractive package is an art in itself.

One object that is traditionally very beautiful and very impractical to use, but yet people continue to love is the exotic car. Thats' about the only place you can get away with it though. If refrigeraters were built like a Ferrari, people would complain that it takes to much power to run, the parts are too expensive, not much fits inside, and that the color clashes with everything in their kitchen.

Yes, it is all a fine balance.

i've always taken a spartan approach. Design with the motto "come back with your shield or on it", above all else, it needs to do the job well. I am more the engineer minded person, but one who understands and appreciates art, both visual and literature, but in the end, it must function to be worthwhile, else it is only an attractive paper weight, and lets be honest, i'd have sooner it stayed a rock in the first place at that point.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...