EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

New S4 vs E46 M3?

Sparco

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Now here's an interesting comparison, maybe in the future you could scroll down a little bit further and post it in the "Comparison" forum? :)

I think, seeing the weight and the size of the engine in the S4, it should be compared to a M5 rather then a M3 but here it goes.

Audi has come up with a car that gives the competition a run for their money this time. The S4 with permanent AWD and an auto tranny does okay in keeping up with the M3, altho it would do better without the AWD and autotranny. The S4 has more torque so from a standing start it will have a little advantage but the M3 makes up for that during the sprint towards 100 and 200 km/h, both cars end head to head with the M3 infront by just a hair. I don't know about the launch control option on the newer M cars, haven't seen it in action so can't judge it. They say it will put the car in orbit if needed.

The S4 does not handle like a sportscar. With Servotronic and ESP 5.7 the car doesn't lean much, it's like you've been disconnected from the road, on the other hand because of these systems you are able to push the car much faster though corners. But then again the M3 can do this aswell without taking the feeling away. There is no subsitute for the authentic BMW feeling.

Conclusion: The S4 and the M3 end side-by-side with the M3 infront just a little, althought the S4 has a bigger engine. From the redlight the S4 will win but in a sprint the S4 will have to bite on the M3's dust. As far as handeling goes I'd opt for the original BMW feeling but that's a matter of taste. I'm sure the S4 would be able to beat the M3 if it didn't have the powerconsuming AWD and autotranny. If you purely look at the performance the M3 comes out on top by just a little bit, but if you throw the price of the cars into the equation the S4 gives the (to quote PolarFox) "most bang per buck", altho no money can buy the perstige and handeling capabilities that come with a BMW. If you have todo alot of rough driving like snow, mud, offroad or hills then I'd go with the S4.

And now for the specs

M3

Dry weight: 1495 kg

Cilinders: V6 (Or was it inline?)

Valves per cilinder: 4

Displacement: 3246 cm3

Max. power: 252 kW @ 7900 rpm

Max. torque: 365 Nm @ 4900 rpm

Topspeed: 250 km/h

0-100: 5,2 s

M5

Dry wieght: 1795 kg

Cilinders: V8 (again inline?)

Valves per cilinder: 4

Displacement: 4941 cm3

Max. power: 294 kW @ 6600 rpm

Max. torque: 500 Nm @ 3800 rpm

0-100: 5,3 s

S4

Dry weight: 1720 kg

Cilinders: V8 DOHC

Valves per cilinder: 5

Displacement: 4163 cm3

Max. power: 253 kW @ 7000 rpm

Max. torque: 410 Nm @ 3500 rpm

0-100: 5,8 s

ok.

The S4 and M3 are a direct comparison for size, cost, and relative performance. The S4 does have a bigger engine but it is only 7hp more than the M3.

M3:

Cost: $45,900 and up

Weight: 3,400lbs

Engine: 3.2L Inline Six DOHC 24V - 6 Throttle bodies

Power: 333hp @ 7,900rpms

Torque: 262 @ 4,500rpms

Transmission: Getrag 6spd Type D

Driveline: Front Midship Rear Drive

0-60: 4.8 secconds

S4:

Cost: $51,000 and up

Weight: 3,850lbs

Engine: 4.2L V-8 DOHC 40V

Power: 340@ 7,000rpms

Torque: 302 @ 3,500rpms

Transmission: 6psd manual or 6spd automatic

Driveline: Front Engine All Wheel Drive (center differential)

0-60: 5.1 secconds

the RS6 is a more direct comparison to the M5.

• 1 Monat später...

He's also the contributing editor of TOPGEAR Magazine.

I wouldn't call him stupid, he's opinonated and he gives you his reasons. I rather hear reviewers speak their mind than give a bland read out of the specs.

There was an episode where he criticized Mercedes for their build quality. He just yanked and pulled the plastic covers and showed you how poorly made they were. You don't get that from other reviewers.

Of course it's just his opinon not the last word. But he certainly stands out.

Really, I was just noting in another thread how cheap feeling and stiff the door handles were on Mercedes. Their engineering is solid, but the details really count. Tap the headlights on an S-class and it sounds like Tupperware. That turns me off, I would not want that large of an expanse of cheap plastic on my car, especially an $80,000 car.

I prefer a reviewer who is critical as well, who puts it all out in the open. Because it's too easy to over look a car's possible faults that a consumer would want to know about, just because it's fresh and new.

• 8 Monate später...

Would be good to see critical views on BMWs too. Because they are definately not flawless as well. I have read forums where many BMW owners car suddenly stops and they got angry and then bought a mercedes! Hey Mercedes is not flawless, also to be said about BMW. We live in the same world, where people aren't perfect at any factory.

I can deal with a second off in a track time but that can be beat with better suspension mods.

By doing that then u could make the price comparison basically the same.

Other than that i'd choose a stock M3 well over a S4 becuz the S4 is so DAMNED ugly.

If they would jus improve on it's hefty ass rolls from it being fat and makin it look better, then it might be gr8 competition.

I'd still choose the M3 becuz it's faster, looks hella better, and costs cheaper.

BMWs' are not perfect, they're just closer to driving perfection than just about anything else. So " The Ultimate Driving Machine " will suffice. BMW is one of the few manufacturers who realize that perfection does not necessarily equate to nailing the driver's eyes to the back of his head with acceleration. That stuff looks good in car ads, and entertains 5th. graders, but driving perfection is much more a delicate art form than it is warfare.

I think Audi pretty much sold out when they made the S4 a V8. " We just can't hack it with a six, not even with two turbos, we have to cheat! " I personally don't care what Audi does, other than the fact that, when one maker does something immature like that, the others are often influenced by it. I don't look forward to a small M-car with a thumping V8, or a V8 Porsche 911. leave the big blocks to the pony cars I say.

Europe is just selling themselves short whan they try to play that way.

• 2 Monate später...

it's comfirmed that the next generation M3 will have a 420hp magnesium block 4.0L V8 based on the new M5 V10 technology, are they sellouts too? They aiming to decrease weight despite adding cylenders.

I think audi makes great cars, but I think their priorities are a bit out of line, or at least out of line with mine. Their insistence on AWD makes their cars heaviest in class, messes up their weight distrobution, and they never seem to be willing to commit fully to sporting suspension tuning, they keep trying the very difficult job of navigating middle ground between Bimmer and Merc, instead of making a really interesting and unique driving flavor all their own. They are good cars though.

I wouldn't label BMW a sellout, their just keeping pace with what the competiton is up to. But the way everything is being stocked with more cylinders, even something as small as an SLK for crying out loud is dissapointing I think. What are you gonna do someday when all you really want is a nice straight-six?

Audi is plagued with the same virus that Bentley and Bugatti have, it's called Volkswagen. This virus discourages brand individuality and clear, focused thinking/planning.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...