EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Regrets

izzyloveslizzy

Empfohlene Beiträge

About 4 months ago, I was fortunate enough to see the Chrysler Crossfire being tested near where I live. Apparently Chrysler chose Vancouver as one of the locations for testing the car for in-city driving. I saw it and I didn't cease the opportunity to take a picture or take videos. It was in perfect silver conditions and looked like it has factory-performance wheels and tires with extra body work. Coul've been a slightly different version too. But from now on I'll try to keep an eye open for any cars I see being tested here. Apparently Porsche really ike British Columbia as well, for testing their cars through the terrain and stuff here. If I get lucky I might get some good spy shots and spy clips of fantastic cars and upload them to the site. Damn, I wish I had a good vid. cam..

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

bah!

the crossfire it the very representation of all the things i feared in the DC merger!

why couldn't they have based it on a chrysler, the defiled the mercedes engineering.

• 3 Monate später...

True, the Crossfire is a pretty nice car. It would be nice if it had a more American style way about it, rather than that of a Germanized Chrysler, but it's a solid little car. It could use more power like another hyped up Chrysler product, the Prowler - but if the Crossfire is around a few years it will come.

I think " defileing ", or at least undermining Mercedes engineering would have been to build a budget Mercedes pickup based upon the Dakota, and calling it the DL350 :D .

bite your tongue.

the crossfire is a wanna-be chrysler build by MB, i think of it as the TC by Maserati was.

It is underpowered, poorly styled, expensive, impractical, and not even that attractive. just different for different's sake. what's the market?

They must have thought there was a market, or they would never have built it. It's better than being a wannabe MB built by Chrysler, at least they had MBs' help. The Masarati TC was straight out LeBaron.

As for the Crossfire being expensive, impractical, and poorly styled, I'm sure many say that about the SLK.

Why the strong words Polar, be glad the Crossfire isn't actually BAD.

At least they are showing the courage to present a decent quality and destinctive vehicle thats' half way affordable. It's quite a ways from Neon, that has to be good news for you.

the quality is expected. it's built by karmann and daimler in germany, how could it not be? the fact it''s styling is neither here nor there, and that it really isn't signifigantly cheaper than the real benz bugs me. I remember when i read it was going to have 240hp and a starting price of 27k, i got excited, i actually wanted one, american soul, german precision, fast and affordable, no downside.

as always chrysler balked on execution.

I see nothing wishy washy about it's styling at all, it's actually quite chiseled and daring, more so than even an SLK, which is really just a bad midget SL. And like you said, it has German quality built right into it, so no problem there. Basically, your beef is with the styling, you don't like it personally, and that it doesn't have 240 hp. It has a mid-level Mercedes V6, the same available in the SLK, so whats' the deal? The lowest SLK goes, is a 2.3 4-banger, for 36k :o . The starting price is not 27k, but its' still about 8 grand cheaper the a comparitively equipped SLK. And I'll bet the Crossfire gets more looks than that base line Benz too.

So, if you look past the styling, which you obviously don't care for, you can see it's good qualities. And if you want more power, get yourself some Brabus parts under that hood, because they are probably compatible. In a Chrysler - isn't that cool :) ?

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo izzyloveslizzy,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema US Cars (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

chrysler mutilated a mercedes and called it crossfire, that's essentially it.

the thing is, for the extra money in SLK you get a retractable hardtop, and the pleasure of dealing with a merecedes dealer, instead of chrysler, you get prestige, not that bad of a deal for the money.

and the SLK is now a 1.8L S/C 4 banger. the new 1.8 is a much better motor than the old 2.3.

$8000? For the "pleasure" of dealing with a mercedes dealer? I've dealt with mercedes dealers and it was by far not that much of a "pleasure" ... And what "pretige" do you get for driving the base model mercedes? If you drive an SL600 you look prestigious... if you drive an SLK you look like someone who can't really afford a mercedes so you got the cheapo version.... The Crossfire is a neat car... you can call it mutilated or defiled or any other synonym that your thesaurus will spit out (there has to be 5 or 6 more, right?)-- that is your opinion... I, personally, think the SLK looks like a mutilated miniature SL.. but that is my opinion and I will not try to force it on you...

As was already stated, if a crossfire and an SLK pull into a parking lot at the same time, the crossfire is turning all the heads and the SLK is getting over-looked ---

I think that is proof enough that your opinion is not widely shared...

I do agree, however, that it is underpowered as of yet... I bet we see more power (and probabyly a convertible too) in the next few years if it takes off.... If they can get 270hp out of it I'd take that over a 350Z any day.

actually, daimler has stated multiple times that no "north american brand models" will recieve the new 3.7L V6 engine that debuted this year. I doubt they'd tune the 3.2 in crossfire past the mercedes brand cars.

Mercedes dealers rank 3rd in customer satisfaction. chrysler dealers aren't even top 10.

and the styling of merc. is understated, they aren't meant to draw attention, they are subtly sexy and attractive without being gaudy and ostentatious. They wear well and look in style for years to come.

something trendy and gaudy just doesn't have that benefit.

I don't find the Crossfire to be either " gaudy " or " trendy ". It's actually tasteful. Screw what Merc plans for the Cross. Somebody will make that thing a scorcher no stock 3.7 can touch. Mercedes styling being " understated ", it is indeed, some would even say bland.

I know I am not the only one to feel the snobery when walking into an MB dealer, and personally, I don't feel like paying an insane premium just for the pretense of the red carpet treatment, and the " privilage " of driving a Merc. Please, I could not in good conscience, patronize a brand that wanted a sir charge just for me to get a certain paint color. Mr.3-Pointed Star dealer can kiss an ass.

BMW dealers are no better for insane premiums. My local "BMW Centre" charges $500 to do a brake job. Go figure.

that's fine "someone will", someone will press a merc with a 3.7 even further, go figure.

I think they should have made crossfire a little less extreme and bizarre looking, maybe given it the more powerful chrysler 3.5 HO or even the 5.7L Hemi Magnum, and kept the price lower (say build it in the US). That would have impressed me.

That will take the conversation to other levels besides engines. The SLK is not full of performance potential, the Crossfire may be. But they are still based of the same platform, so how can you say that?

Yes, I considered AMG. The same thing could be done to a Crossfire. It's no doubt more rigid than an SLK because of it's hard top, hence a more suitable performance platform. Plus, and this is another very important thing, the Crossfire is a good 100 lbs. or more lighter than an SLK with the same engine. Don't think that retractable top and it's auxiliaries doesn't weigh anything.

Again, your opinions are just that-- OPINIONS... and as I said before, no one really seems to agree with you. Lucky for us, DC built the crossfire for everyone else in the world and left you, the person to whom Chrysler can do no right, to be disappointed.

As far as your SLK goes, you may think "they are subtly sexy and attractive without being gaudy and ostentatious." --but personally i think they're boring... and I can't get past the notion that they remind me of '93 Mercury capri convertible...

Why do you assume that the decision to not introduce the 3.7 v6 in North America means that the crossfire will not get more power? I really don't care about the 3.7L... the 3.5L v-6 from the intrepid runs very well in a heavy full size sedan-- a tuned version in the crossfire would put it right where it should be power-wise.. They also have the 5.2L V-8 from the jeep line or even the good 'ol 4.0L straight 6. If they got real adventurous they could drop in a 5.7L .... I doubt we'll see this motor --but i guarantee that if they did that and sold it for under 35k they would sell a trillion of them...

I know you're stuck on this "if it costs more it must be better" kick that you always seem to get onto--- (see boxster argument 2 weeks ago) but as far as the crossfire goes -- its a neat car with a lot of potential..it is your choice to like or disliked the styling, but you must realize that your opinions are not facts-- With regard to Chrysler - they're not as much of a lame duck as you are making them out to be... I think the crossfire is step in the right direction for them and i am confident that they will seize the opportunity to break into this market.

And i have no idea why you're referencing BMW dealers... we were talking about Chrysler and MB dealers... and in that regard -- I dont care what position they are ranked in-- a dealer is a dealer and dealing with one is never a "pleasureable experience".... certianly not something that I would pay almost 10k extra for...

well, on the engine thing:

the 5.2L V8 (the good 'ol 318) is well over 300lbs heavier than the 3.2L V6. Furthermore, it hasn't been produced in 18 months, it's been phased out to the 4.7L SOHC V8, still heavy, about 280lbs heavier, and in HO form capable of 260hp. The 3.5L SOHC V6 may be good for 255hp in HO form, but it has yet to produce a decent 0-60 in 300M. I could swear unless the gearing is way wierd that they have some sort of issue with that motor. 300M with 255hp runs to 60 in 8.2, a comperably sized Infniti I35 of the same price with a 255hp 3.5L V6 does it in 7.0 The 300M is a great sedan, and I'm proud of chrysler for making it. My only regret is they didn't tune it better. It was definately a step forward, and the 300C looks to be pretty world class. As for the 4.0L I6, it's being phased out, furthermore, it's never produced over 195hp, that sounds like a step down to me, more displacement isn't always better.

They should offer the crossfire with the 5.7L Hemi, call it a performance version, Crossfire RT, if they made that, you'd have no reason to buy a viper or a vette.

THe crossfire with the 5.7 L motor would be a fantastic car -- and that is definately the way for them to go if they want to reach enthusiasts..

I dont think they will build it though -- would it even fit in the engine compartment? I think the 3.5L is definately an option though. It doesnt run that well to 60 in the 300M, but it is geared extremely low and that is a heavy car. It is rated at 270 hp, right? I talked to a 300M owner once about his car... he hadn't really noticed the poor acceleration in the car becuase he never really mashed the throttle at a light.. He even said to me "It's not a drag racer.." ... like i was an idiot for even thinking he would be testing his 0-60 times. He did say that out on the highway there was a ton of power available for whenever he asked for it. I've never driven one so i dont really know.. I did drive an intrepid with a 3.5 L a few years back. I dont remember it real well (it was a roadtrip in my buddy's parents' car in college) but i do remember we got it up above 120.. with 4 passengers and a trunk full of luggage..

Or maybe they could just surprise us with something... the 4.0L motor (which i don't think they are phasing out -- they put a 3.7 in the liberty but there is no sign of replacing the 4.0 in the wrangler.) has never had more than 195hp, but it hasnt had too... with different compression or a different cam setup it could be made into a high power motor (it already has a ton of torque)... or maybe they could supercharge it... it worked on the SRT-4! There is already an aftermarket supercharger for the wrangler that bumps the hp of the I-6 up tp 280 horse...

Chrysler has plenty of options for this car-- i think if it does well in its first couple of years we will definately see some kind of performance package for the crossfire ..

the 3.5L SOHC V6 is good for 244hp in intrepid, 250 in 300M, and 255 in 300M Special Edition.

The 4.0L is already compression fairly high. It's an old cam in block design, it was never meant for high performance, it's just a work horse. It also has a history of recalls.

And to be brutally honest, they could have that much lighter and smaller benz 3.2 pumping 280 with more aggressive cams and fuel timing (and a say 1000 extra revs).

Plans would get the 4.0L out of JGC by the end of 04, and i have no idea what their plans are for wrangler, but they are trying to replace the 3.9L Mopar V6 and 4.0L Jeep I6 with the new 3.7 SOHC V6.

The 5.7 would actually fit, though not easily. An aluminum block would be neccesary too.

and the AMG supercharged 3.2L V6 is good for a rock solid 349hp. THat would move.

And SRT4 is turbocharged.

I know the Srt4 is trubo'd... my point was that they went to forced induction instead of natural aspiration -- which means it could be an option on any motor..

I think an AMG motor in the car would be great ... but between you me and the wall we know that will never happen..

Where did you hear the info on the plans for the 4.0L ? I am skeptical about the move for the jeep line to a v-6... the 4.0L is loved for its massive amounts of torque --- very important to the offroad crowd...

And despite how old the deisgn is, the stock 4.0L is very de-tuned.. If you don't believe me, check out some of the jeep boards... those guys have gotten a good deal of power out of that motor..

As far as the 3.5L... i thought it was more than that.. they could turbo that motor.. :wink:

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...