EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

944 Advice

burnet

Empfohlene Beiträge

i don't know much about the details of tuning a 944, i'm sure it could be tuned pretty easily, but what I'm saying is this, for what I paid for my 318i and all of my mods, i still wouldn't have added up to what it would cost to buy a 944 and tune it

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 55
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort
i don't know much about the details of tuning a 944, i'm sure it could be tuned pretty easily, but what I'm saying is this, for what I paid for my 318i and all of my mods, i still wouldn't have added up to what it would cost to buy a 944 and tune it

I know what you mean.

And all of the expensive headaches and maintenance that come with driving a 928 are still there and cost just as much on a 944.. (timing belt replacement, tensioner rebuilds, waterpump replacement) ... So you pay the same to maintain a car that performs half as well..

i'm going to hope any moron can do a timing belt himself. Failing water pumps and tensioners? I've never known of those to be terribly common, but i'll agree, any job you have to take to porsche will be expensive one way or the other. The thing is 944 was built largely with focus on cutting cost, quality on 944 was well below the mark of the 911 and 928.

Actually, changing the timing belt on the 928 (and the 944) is a very difficult process. Just to get to it you have to remove the fan and throttle linkage, alternator, compressor, smog pump, distributors, rollers, pulleys, and the water pump -- plus the tensioner and 2 belt covers. Once you get the belt off and replaced you need a special porsche tensioning tool to tighten the belt that costs $500 (a knockoff is available for $125 online) ... Any 928 guy worth his salt will tell you that you should replace the waterpump and rebuild the tensioner at this point (since you have them off already) -- Waterpumps and tensioners are in fact a big problem on 928's ... you don't necessarily have to do it at the time of the timing belt change, but chances are you will need to do it before another timing belt change. The guys that know these cars recommend 4 years or 45,000 miles for a timing belt/water pump/ tensioner service... I tend to agree with them and for those of us "morons" :-? out here who might not be able to do it ourselves, that's a $1500-$2000 job.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...