EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Getting ready for the "cam cam" dance

'96ModZ3

Empfohlene Beiträge

I'm looking for some advice on camshaft upgrades. Everybody wants to sell me their package because it's the "right" one. I read on one website (can't remember which one) that their cam set was the best because it was a "true" reading of duration and lift and not some inflated numbers.

These are for a 3.2L ///M motor with OBD II.

Set 1:

Intake 264 degree duration\ 11.2 lift

Exhaust 252 degree duration\ 10.2 lift

Set 2 :

Intake 264 degree duration\ 11.2 lift

Exhaust 256 duration\ 10.6 lift

Set 3:

284 degree duration \11.9 lift on both intake and exhaust.

What I'm looking for is a set that will provide a "kick" while being able to run on the stock ECU with a future upgrade. I do not want to have to machine the pistons or head either. Does anyone have any experience with these numbers or have some good advice?

Thanks!! :)

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

i dont have any experience with bmw cams but i do know that to maximize the power you get from the engine you should get it tuned. that said i think the mildest cams would be best on an engine with an oem tune.

what are the specs on the oem cams?

Having not messed around with cams, I can't advise you on whether you should do anything. But Yeah, I would suggest mild cams on OEM tune as well. Or maybe wait on the cams until you upgrade your ECU.

Getting Ready For The " Cam Cam" Dance - Most original Carpassion topic title of 2005 so far. :wink: Everyone agree?

clap8rv.gif

I would first like to thank everyone for being here tonight and would also like to thank the academy for their gracious nomination. :-))!

Moving right along...thanks for the input on the cams. The last numbers quoted (284 degrees) were from BMP design. I talked to these guys and they said that this profile could be run with a stock ECU and I could expect around a 25hp increase. Having the ECU remapped would only increase the effect. Sounds good, maybe to good. But, if anyone remembers the shop that did the engine swap on my car,(strictly-german) he has many different profiles I can choose from for $400.00 a set. I think that this is a risk a may have to take! :)

Here's a link to a photo album that I've started.

http://bgonzales02.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=Car-Photos

It has some pics from the recent BMW Peachtree Chapter track day at Road Atlanta. You will also recognize the pics of the McLaren <-(spelled right latenight) :wink: and also a few shots of my car. I will update the album as time goes on with some of the autocross events that start in May.

But' date=' if anyone remembers the shop that did the engine swap on my car,(strictly-german) he has many different profiles I can choose from for $400.00 a [i']set. I think that this is a risk a may have to take! :)
thats an amazing steal for bmw bump sticks!!! they are probably regrinds, but im sure that wont matter too much if its done by someone reputable.

i was thinking, for an agressive cam you could probably just get an fpr and bump the fuel pressure to help the cams a little, the only problem would be that it might take a little while for the ecu to adjust the fuel levels with the new pressure. i dont know how bmws take to an fpr though, so definitely talk to someone who knows what they are doing before listening to me :lol:

BMP is reputable as far as I know, but I wouldn't bet too much that those cams would give you an instant 25 hp. Not saying they wouldn't, they may or may not. But it seems pretty optimistic with no other preparation done to the engine. You're sure to gain something no doubt.

This is obvious, but remember. You want a quality setup that will preserve the livability of your car. There are plenty of ways to get more power, that wouldn't be ideal in the long run. I would just think twice about plopping racing cams on before anything else. More likely I would start with something more mild, like improved breathing for starters.

lnc has a very good point about putting in race cams. on the surface they are affordable, but long term what will they cost??

i like the noble :-))! im kinda surprized with your pics though, no engine bay shots and you didnt hide your license plate. :???: i would be worried as hell with theives... then again you dont live in jersey :lol:

I understand the concern with the "race" cams. The profiles I listed were the upper range "perfomance" street cams though. I guess the confusion came in when I mentioned PTG.

When I took the pics the owners weren't around so the engine bays weren't open except the Porsche. I definitely would have liked some engine shots though! :) I never gave much thought to the license plate issue. I initially set up this album for personal use so I wasn't worried about it. Something to think about though.

Thanks for the input.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo '96ModZ3,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Zubehör für BMW (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

I recommend you don't get the 284s. Cams will always change your idle, but having a long duration on the intake side will really hurt you in real world driving. I recommend getting the 2nd pair. I also recommend doing ECU tuning. A race intake cam can result in poor vacuum generation, and you could have some headaches.

There are exactly two engine bay shots actually, including that of the Noble - that car is something else. ModZ3, what did they have done to the old 5-Series that sounded good?

Personally I never understood what the deal was with hiding one's license plate in pictures, like it's top secret information. I mean people on the street see it all the time.

Personally I never understood what the deal was with hiding one's license plate in pictures, like it's top secret information. I mean people on the street see it all the time.
but random people on the street dont know whats under the hood.

They can take a pretty good guess what's under the hood though. And most cars don't warrant that kind of safety measure anyway. It's always good to be safe, but covering the plate still seems a little silly to me.

Most thieves or vandals will take one look at it and decide what they're going to do, regardless of whether they know the license #. Theivery and vandalism are just part of the risk of owning a car, especially a nice one.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...