EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Back with a new car

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

I took al little vaction to Portugal and such, European Championship Football (or soccer for you yanks).

Some of you might remember the crash I had with my S500 last year, which wrecked the car. After that I set out on a quest to get a new car, but which one? I never decided and I still haven't.

Anywayz to get rid of the rental A6 I was driving around with I decided to buy a car and my choice fell on this 2000 520d.

Afb041.jpg

Afb042.jpg

Afb043.jpg

Afb044.jpg

I'm still planning on getting a new car, but untill then I have thise beauty to drive around with :)

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
I took al little vaction to Portugal and such, European Championship Football (or soccer for you yanks).

For most of us true soccer players/fans it's called Futbol in Europe and Soccer here =D

I'd love to go see the UEFA cup but i don't have the funds to do so :(

I just finished installing new LED rearlights.

Afb045.jpg

Afb046.jpg

You can't see much on these pictures but they look just like the lights on the E60. The light is equal all over and they have lighter and darker beams running accros (just like on at the top of the second picture).

I also have xeon lights on order (eagle eyes), they should arrive somewhere next week. I currently have regular lamps at the front.

How do you speel P.I.M.P? :)

I'm not sure wether diesel has been accepted in the US but over here it's a common good. And for a diesel the BMW engine is so smooth and so powerfull, it amazes me everytime I punch it.

The beauty of this car is that it has regular mileage when I drive normal but once I floor it, it drinks Diesel by the gallons.

It's really the perfect car, it looks beautifull, it gets a good mileage under regular conditions and it's fast when you need it to be.

Star alloy wheel became standard on the E39 after the 2000 facelift. All E39's buildt after 2000 have those wheels :)

But you do have a good point there. I mean if you want a good looking car which runs just fine and don't have alot of money then you could get yourself a 2000/2001 BMW E39 and be done with it. But aftermarket xeon lights do not come cheap, specialy if you want the BMW eagle eyes.

Oh this reminds me I gotta order me some leather Type R racing seat covers.

Yeah, I agree with GIR and I testify, in Europe diesels are very looked for. Good fuel consumption and they get good in traffic.

I don't know if u have seen. Vauxhall made a concept engine, the TT Diesel. It does 42mpg, 212hp, 400Nm from........... 1.9L engine. They said that in testing they outran Porsches Boxter and Mercs S-class. That realy shows the true potential of the Diesel. And it complies wit Euro 4 emission regulations.

This was read in Auto Express .

In the U.S., Diesel power is still thought of mostly as something you tow with, or in the case of some VW's a way to scrimp on gas. I think it may have something to do with the large truck culture in this country - Diesel is synonamous with trucks. A performance car here that goes " clickety clackety " I doubt would go over well.

I think the only " up-market " manufacturer to offer Diesel in the U.S. is Mercedes, probably because it suits their solid and reliable image. BMW on the other hand must maintain it's sports image here, it's crucial - so no Diesel. Can you tell that in North America, it's all about percieved image? :wink:

I think I've seen those Star wheels on six-cylinder U.S. E39's only. V8's ride on something different.

Diesels have changed a lot in the last 15 years and more so in the last 5.

Now they are powerfull and have a high and constant torque curve starting from low revs. It's true, they'll never hit the rmps that petrol cars do, but none the less, they will progress there too (not much, but will do).

Yes, they are noisy, but only at idle speed, but this isn't heard from the inside.

Those were said for the direct injection diesels with comonrail , turbo and intercooler, like more constructors are trying to make them for the automobile industry. Not the classical diesels, for the utility vehicles.

Somehow, because of the low rpms and the noise, ppl don't associate diesel engines with sportyness.

Sorry GIR for ruining ur thread, but I think diesels deserve some more chances. Maybe the mods will put this into another forum.

i totally agree that diesel can be very sporty when in the hands of the right people... just longer gears. i like revving over 7k so it may not be my thing, but it is still very do-able.

i mean if the viper can be a sports car revving to...how much rpm? then im pretty sure they can have turbo diesels perform in a scaled down econo sports coupe. with gas prices around $2(usd) per gallon i would much rather have the diesel. i know thats really nothing compared to the rest of the world... but that brings my cost of living up a few dollars a week.

We're still on topic sort of, since GIR's Bimmer is a Diesel, but you're more than welcome to start another thread about the high performance potential of Diesel power. :)

This brings to my mind, the Peugeot concept cars AC Spade and AC Diamond. One of them, I think the Diamond was powered by a Diesel - it had the same horsepower as the petrol powered Spade, but with twice the torque.

The Viper revs pretty low, but it's a huge gas engine. If a sportscar were to have an equally large Diesel engine, ( like the 8.0 liter Cummins available in Dodge trucks ) it could be very rough and loud, too much so. But with the said improvements in Diesel power over recent years, it's a very interesting concept. It could work with little coupes. But like GIR said, if he pushes it - like you would push a sporty car, it'll drink fuel by the gallon, so where is the benefit?

The improvements are:

- it gives an alternative to sporty cars with gas engines.

- it gives another solution to abusive gas consumption on sporty cars (and SUV), even when not driven in a sporty manner.

- it can be fun to drive for the ones that enjoy it

I went on a little trip lastnight over the German border :)

Afb048.jpg

As you can see I'm doing 200kph and it still has room left for acceleration. I found that 160-220 kph is just fine for cruising, everything above 220 it starts to moan and 240kph is it's absolute max.

It doesn't have the "clickedy clackedy" sound it has a quiet hum, even when running stationary. The acceleration is very smooth and you don't hear much inside the cabine. At 200+ kph speeds you start to hear the wind outside but apart from that it's a wall of silence.

Under regular circumstances (cruising) it does an averga of just about 12.5km per liter which translates to 29.4 miler per gallon. If you punch it that figure drops to 4km/l which translates to 9.41 mpg.

This car is living proof that modernday diesels have what it takes to go head to head with gasoline engines.

What's even more amazing is that this car is 4 years old and over that past few years diesel engines have advanced even more. For example the VW TDI engines, combined with modern carbon filters these cars are faster cheaper and envoiremental friendlier then gasoline cars in the same class.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...