EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

BMW using turbo's in their new engines?!

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine, he is a bmw buf and I'm a merc buf, anywayz he was telling about how good the new M5 was looking and that he read about BMW was planning on using turbo's in their new engine's.

Could this be true? Will BMW step over to the darkside?

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Everyone I know, both journalists, and people close to the plant have told me that the story is no Turbo charged BMWs. Rumors have been around about a 380hp twin turbo straight six, but I am pretty sure with valvetronic control, dual vanos, and bmw gas direct injection, the 3.5L straight six can pump 380 without a twin turbo. After handling, one of the largest selling points on a bmw is the seemlessly smooth, torquey, and nice sounding driveline. A turbo would introduce lag, and of course muffle the beautiful engine scream.

Why does bimmer need them. Its not impossible, but everyone I know, as far as everything I can assertain points me to say i'll ice-skate in hell before i drive a turbo bmw.

LMAO @ Ice-Skate in hell! Hehehe! Funny stuff bro. Well, I think you miight have to consider that though. The new M5 is pushing 500 (or more) horses. I don't see how BMW will invest in anything else than turbo. The engine doesn't displace enough for 500HP, so it doesn't correspond with normal logic. I think you may see a serisouly turbo-whipped BMW 5. Then again since I'm not too sure, we'll have to wait (or rely on someone who works for BMW to tell us).

i guarantee you that the M5 will have no turbo. I know this for a fact. The engine displaces 5.5L. It has every technology that is in the 6.0L V12, and is tuned for maximum performance, it should have little trouble pressing 100hp/L - you realize the redline will be around 8,000 rpms right?

The Dinan M5-S2 - which is the old M5 - with its conventional 4.9L V8 modified for freeer breathing produces 470hp - 470 hp from 4.9L. The new engine will have next to no restriction, it has no throttle body (instead it has the valvetronic system) - and has gas direct injection. In the early nineties, the 3.6L M5 that came here - a high winding engine like the new V10, was making 89hp/L - and that was on the technology of the early 90s. I have no doubt this will exceed 500hp without any sort of forced aspiration. Straight up, BMW doesn't need it. They invested in gas direct injection and the valvetronic system instead of turbocharging technology, and I think they are all the better for it. Engines like the new 6.0L V12 that cranks amazing low end torque, but still breathes fire well north of 6,000 - no forced aspiration engine can match verstatility and smoothness of opperation. Period.

Actually now we're on the subject. I remember BMW once making a turbo engine, back in the 70's, have too look it up.

/edit:

Aaah here it is, the BMW Turbo (it's actual name):

bmwturbo3.jpg

The BMW Turbo was a prototype from 1972. It has a 4 cylinder 1990cc turbocharged (as the name suggests) engine which developes 205kW (280bhp) at 5200rpm and a maximum speed of around 265km/h (165mph). From this it can be seen where the BMW M1 grew from.

And this one, the 2002 turbo:

sml_Bmw-2002_Turbo.jpg

The 2002 Turbo was introduced at the 1973 Frankfurt Auto Show. Production stopped in July 1975. Between July 1973 and July 1975, only 1,672 models were built. None were certified for sale in the USA.

The 2002 Turbo produced 170 hp at 5800 rpm, with the same basic 2.0-liter engine as the 2002 ti.

Still a stock BMW with a turbo would be... uuum... blasphemy!

Nevermind dude, I got it confused with the 4.4L V8. I forgot the new M5 will have a V10. That's all true. And in fact considering the rate at which they improve and perfect the technology in those bad boys it would seem that BMW has another 25HP/L to get out of it's upcoming engines with just internal engine modification, rather than messing with the injection and displacement or turboing it up. I think the "low-end" torque you're talking about can hit max. at around 1100RPM. It's a modified version of that that appears in the Rolls Royce Phantom and puts out a whopping 531lbs-ft. And it all comes cheap and without breaking a sweat. That's the brilliance of BMW engineering.

LOL on the "blasphemy" comment, GIR! I used to see tons of those old Turbos and other old-school Bimmers in Iran way back in the day. Even those things were almost as flexible as today's Bimmers.

Now wait a minute, this still IS BMW, and if they wanted to go with Turbos for some odd reason, I'm sure they'd do a hel of a job. You wouldn't have to worry about smoothness/pure-unadulterated-feel/free-revving (or the lack-there-of). Though the exhast sound might proe to be a bit of a hassel for them, as 've heard from many people (including yourself, your Fox-ness) that the BMW exhaust sounds already are nothing special, thus I can imagine how Turbo would ruin it completely. And why would there be a problem as far as "sporting engines" go? BMW's engines would never lose that (you do mean "Sporting Engines" as in "Sporting Engines" right?). But now all this talk is beginning to convince me that a Turbo BMW would ruin things. Now that I think about t BMW's do have a pureness to them that is acheieved by excellence of design and smooth engines that require no Turbos. I wouldn't even want to see my old 518 turbocharged.

• 2 Wochen später...
Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo GIR,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema BMW (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

I would hate to see BMW through a turbo in one of their cars (save it for the after market). It would ,like FOX said, ruin the character of the car. Turbo cars are fun and easy to get more power out of, but if you want to go really fast and smooth around the track NA engines are where it's at. Never have to worry about lag or the coming onslaught of boost to screw you on the track. Yeah NA eninges can be peaky but a well designed one (read BMW) almost eliminates that.

I have driven an aftermarket turbocharged I6 M3 before. It simply didn't have the BMW versatility with power. I missed that.

I know someone who drove the Dinan Supercharged 540i and said it was still very much a bmw. I don't know, if you were aftermarket charging a bimmer, go with an S/C

the factory has so much finesse they'll never need one either.

Even the Dinan S2-M5 gets 74 more horsepower without a S/C by just using finesse and breathing technique. BMW just isn't about brute engineering.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...