Quick, To the Batmobile! ...

LateNightCable

Empfohlene Beiträge

Bild-2.jpg

No, not that one.

THIS ONE!

batmanrobjump.jpg

" Batman carries Robin across the threshold, always the gentleman. "

Perhaps dear Carpassion member, as a car buff you always wondered what car the famous original Batmobile was based on, but could never muster the energy for a good old fashioned Yahoo search to find out. Well thats what this is about.

The original 1966 Batmobile was based off of the 1955 Ford Futura showcar, which was the brainchild of Lincoln Mercury chief stylist Bill Schmidt. Built by Ghia in Italy, the $250,000 Futura ( I assume thats' 1955 dollars! ) was prepared in three months. It made it's debut at the 1955 Chicago Auto Show, and was then driven for a showing in Detroit.

On March 3rd., just before the New York Auto Show, the Futura was driven from the UN building, through Central Park, and on to the Tavern on the Green restaurant for a photo shoot. The car also made an appearance on the famous Ed Sullivan Show on television.

Alas, the Futura was too much for the paired down asthetics of the sixties, and when the time came for a Batmobile, the old Futura fit the bill perfectly. The Futura to Batmobile transformation was a simple one, handled by the well known George Barris car customizer in California.

* The 1955 Ford Futura ...

futuratop.jpg

fordfutura7.jpg

ford2003.jpg

futurarear.jpg

* The 1966 Batmobile ...

capeindoor.jpg

* Note Batman's cape caught in the door :D .

sc2.jpg

" Why these imposters pulled the chutes in the middle of the highway - who knows? "

highway.jpg

Technical Specifications ...

Curb weight - 5,500lbs.

Wheelbase - 129 in.

Overall length - 225 in.

Width - 84 in.

Height - 48 in.

Fins - 84 in.

Current owner - George Barris

Current location - North Hollywood CA.

Estimated value - $1,000,000+

Approx. cost in 1966 - $125,000

Cost of modifications - $30,000

Build time - 3 weeks

Engine & Drivetrain ...

Engine - 390 c.i. V8

Transmission - B&M Hydro Automatic ( 2nd. transmission )

Chassis & Body ...

Layout - Front engine/rear drive

Tires - Firestone Wide-Oval, Mickey Thompson, and Uniroyal

Wheels - 15x10 Rader cast-alloy five spokes

Second frame - 1966 Ford Galaxie, lengthened 11 in.

Interior & Exterior Details ...

Exterior color - " Velvet Bat-Fuzz Black " from Metalflake Inc.

Trim color - 3/4 in. Fluorescent Cerise

Safety belts - Cumming & Sander impact safety belts

Gas tank - Moon aluminum tank

Parachutes - 2 Deist, each 10ft. in diameter

License plates - 4

Steering wheel - Around 1967 the wheel was changed to that of a '58 Edsel

Car stereo - Duo-Stereophonic tape deck w/ 6 Muntz speakers

bandrint.jpg

" Holy lift-off Batman, we have more than Nitrous! "

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

why an edsel steering wheel?

and that futura was ugly either way. The front end reminds me of the face on a Sher-Pei.

a 390 to a 4spd is nice, but at 5,500lbs, it needs it. Batman clearly wasn't going too fast in that.

And holy nitrous batman?

LNC, you are one sick dog

Why a '58 Edsel wheel? The kitch factor I suppose. The Batman series was always funky like that. If you have ever seen the show, you would see how fast the Batmobile goes, it has an afterburner. Or it could just be the camera set at 12 frames per second :D .

And DJ, if your car is the Batmobile to you, then rock on!

Here is a list of original requirements that were set for the Batmobile. Declassified for your approval. Don't tell Comissioner Gordon. :wink:

1. The Switches and Hand-throttle for the Turbo-electric Drive.

2. The Bing-Bong Warning Bell and Bat-Light Flasher. ( " Don't forget the Bong. " )

3. The Mobile Phone between the seats with Beeper and Flashing Light. ( " So ahead of the time. " )

4. The Batscope, with TV-like Viewing Screen on the dash with control buttons and Radar-like Antenna with aimable parabolic Reflector outside, with cockpit controls.

5. Anti-theft System, Flashing Red Lights, Piercing Whistle, Little rockets built into tubes at the back of the cockpit that fire straight up with a whoosh. ( " Rockets that fire with a " woosh ", that sounds technical. " )

6. Anti-fire Control System, Flood of Foam from Secret Nozzle.

7. Turn-off switch for Protection Systems. ( " That always helps. " )

8. Radar-like screen for Protection Systems.

9. Mechanics for Emergency Bat Turn, Red lever so named on Dash, Reverse Thrust Rockets beneath headlights, Ejection Parachute Mechanism at rear.

10. Bat-Ray Projector Mechanism, Lever on Dash so named, Hood Hydraulic Projector Device . ( With possibility of ray coming from Bat-Eyes. )

11. Portable Fire-Extinguisher.

12. Receiver and Sender Computer to be installed in trunk.

13. Bat symbols on hubcaps. ( " Gotta have those. " )

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo LateNightCable,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Verschiedenes über Autos (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

If that was an actual car jus think how much it would weigh with all that extra shit loaded on2 it.

:o Mind boggling, i'd guess around 6,500+lbs? and would hafta have at least 600hp minimum jus 2 push it cuz that thing could haul sum major ass on the big screens. hehehe :D

have you ever made a movie before? I'm currently making a one-off of the BMW Films as a project for personal entertainment, making cars look like their flying is way too easy. I doubt that car had much over 250hp, if that.

have you ever made a movie before? I'm currently making a one-off of the BMW Films as a project for personal entertainment, making cars look like their flying is way too easy. I doubt that car had much over 250hp, if that.

If i ever made a movie be4 i'd havva helluva lot nicer car pool :wink::lol:

just one for fun, a shits and giggles blow some time and dick around excuse to do stupid an wreckless shit type of thing, and then have your buddy the special effects wiz make it awsome for you? THat type of thing? Generally they cost you money, and end up damaging the carpool :D

I did that with a good friend of mine one winter, the one I was with when we went badassing in the Neon. Except we used audio tape, so no need for visual effects, just sound effects. I played his wife, he played my irrate husband with high blood pressure, a female aquaintance played our daughter, and her boyfriend played the baby. I also played a used car salesman, and I used a snow sled for the sound of a fender falling off. You should have heard my husband slam the accelerator when I warned him about his high blood pressure :D .

Yeah, skits are a real hoot!

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...