EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Why is it nobody talks about Spyker?

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

Why is it that nobody ever talks about Spyker? Even the dutch people tend to forget their own national pride. I mean these cars are beautifull and equaly powerfull.

The Spyker C8 double 12 stage V is able to produce 620bhp at 4100 rpm and redlines at 9500 rpm, no turbo or charger. 0 - 60 in 3.6 secs and topspeed is at 340 km/h (212.5 mph). I don't know what the torque specs of the stage V engine is but the standard engine can deliver 425 nm torque at 3000 rpm. This all with a V8 4liter engine.

Spyker has several endurance title's on it's name and also is a leader in the Le Mans GT. The fastest car in the GT-Class (The Porsche GT3) set down a qualifing time of 2.07 secs. The Spyker C8 set down a time of 2.14 secs even though it had problems with the air intake and cooling. I'm looking forward to the 2003 race where Spyker will have more cars and beter tuned cars.

With adjustable breakbalance, adjustable wings and adjustable shockbreakers these cars are Street Racers every way you look at them. No other manufacturer has ever brought this kinda racing tech to a production car.

I once drove a C8 Spyder on the Zandvoort racing track, wasn't allowed to go over 4th gear and go over 120km/h (yes I know sucky sucky). Even tho I wasn't allowed to take it upto full speed I just could feel what immense power this car had. It's a beast waiting to be unleashed so it can wreak havoc on the highways. The way it looks and the way it handles, it's like the whole thing is alive and it's whispering: "drive me" into your ear.

Impressive cars and impressive acomplishments, why is it then nobody ever talks about these cars?

Here's what Damon Hill had to say about Spyker, altho I'm sure he was paid to say it:

http://www.spykercars.nl/movies/damon_high.wmv

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

the engine in the spyker is one of the greatest built. The car is incredible and incredibly small, and supposedly is pretty great. I don't know much about build quality or reliability, but from what I can tell, they are incredible cars. That sort of specific output is astronomical.

A Spyker C8 double 12 stage V costs around 600k. I think the biggest problem is that the GT3 (current leader of the Le Mans GT) costs 400k less. I mean you could buy 3 Porsche GT3's for the price of 1 Spyker. But for that price you get a custom tailored car to your specific needs. You could kinda say it's the Rolls Royce of the supercars. The Spyker workshop has craftsmen for every thing, from wood to leather they have specilized people for everything. The hand made aluminium body doesn't come cheap aswell.

I think this is not a car for thrill seekers or show offs but more a car for sophisticated people.

All the cars are build by hand and are build for endurance races and rallies. So I'm guessing we don't have to worry about quality that much.

And you are right, this is a beatifull car, just look at these pictures:

01124414_cover.jpg

The one thing I didn't like about the Spyder was this:

spyker07.jpg

The airintake has been moved from the roof to the center of the car. As you might imagine having an air intake right next to you is no fun, unless you enjoy having an airintake right next to you in which case it is fun :)

Here's the GT class they entered in the Le Mans, ironicaly the Porsche GT3 is behind it :)

spyker_02.jpg

the engine in the spyker is considderibly more intense then that of a GT3, a GT3's F6 feels like a big V8, kinda windy, but pretty much just a strong engine. The spyker engine is a work of art, screaming to unbelievable RPMs, and having a car like that is part of the experience. Only problem is how to get one fixed.

Hehe, no problem for me. I'd just drive it down to Baarn and have it serviced :)

I once read that they have a service where they fly out mechanics and parts to you. If this is true this service should be kinda costly, but hey if you have 600k for a car then paying a little extra for this service won't be a problem I guess.

Looky what I found. Apparently Spyker made a deal with a company called Hoovey cars (never heard of them). They seem to specialize in servicing supercars like the Spykerm also they seem to have an international presence. For more info you could check out their website.

Also I found this little text on the Spyker site which explains what extra's you get with the Spyker and what makes Spyker cars so unique.

http://www.spykercars.nl/unique.htm

Here's a picture fomr the 2002 24h Le Mans ar Sebring

spyker_sebring_groot.jpg

You can see the quick solution the engineers thought of to increase the airflow to the engine. Just behind the mirror you can see an orange tube sticking out the window. Also the car crashed into another car during a passing manuveur. A shame is you ask me.. they would be better of giving it to me then killingit like that on the track :)

What a small small world it is after all. Today when I was out shopping with my girlfriend i ran into an old collague from my days at ASML. Whn I asked him what he was doin rightnow he told me that he moved to Philips Corporate division and is account manager for *drumroll* Spyker!

So we started talking about this, while his wife and my gf were shopping him and me decided to have a cup of coffee. Anywayz he told me that there's a huge demand on Spyker cars atm and that Spyker will bump the production from 2 cars a month to 6 cars a month at the end of the Summer, they're looking for skilled personel.

They will also move into the US market at the end of the summer. They have a contract with an American company (Hoovey cars? He didn't know) to service and sell the cars. Currently there seemt o be a few Spyker cars in the US but those were exported by the owner. Spyker did on occasion fly over parts and maintenance personel.

Anywayz this all aside he also told me something very interesting. At the launch party of the C8 Double 12 he had a casual talk with the company owner. He seems to have ambitions to design and produce an inhouse engine, the current engine in the C8 is an Audi. This is very interesting.

Ever since the 18th century Dutch engineers have been among the best in the world. From watermanagment, trafficmanagement, electronics, propulsion technology, lightbuls, vacuumbulbs, etc. This is inline with the Dutch way of thinking: "Be the best or don't do it at all". We do a thing and be the best or we do a thing, fail and never do it again.

If Spyker would ever decide to produce an inhouse engine it would take them a hell of a long time because they have alot of catching up todo. I think that in 4 years or more Spyker will come with a new car which will have an inhouse designed and produced engine. This engine will have immense amounts of power and be very efficient. Either this or they will fail at their attempt and buy more engines from Audi.

the dutch certainly have done a number of interesting things, philips alone is responsible for so much, royal dutch shell has made huge steps forward in polymers, and of course, the modern wonder of the world, the north sea wall.

Spyker cars are incredible, i have no idea the engines were audi. impressive.

i'd love to see them make a move towards originality.

American scientists make incredible steps forward, only for our engineers to fail to capitalize on them. oh well, our cars will get there someday.

I think the Spyker's quite the looker, and honestly you don't hear much about it. In fact I don't even read enough about it in most car magazines. They always stick to the Ferraris and the similar old "super-cars". There's not nearly enough mention of Spyker (if any at all). Same deal with Koenigsegg and Lotec and the likes. If I had the money I'd defenitely import a Spyker. No one would know what it is, but they'd appreciate and respect it's performance once they saw it. I'm pretty sure about that, jusging by the fact that it's got a 4.2L V8 and Ferrari-360-like performance.

• 4 Wochen später...

they are opening a second factory? Wow, the make very few cars to have two factories. Oh well, maybe now they can ramp up their production numbers, perhaps drop the price a bit.

Here's the GT class they entered in the Le Mans, ironicaly the Porsche GT3 is behind it :)

spyker_02.jpg

*is confused* (and yes, this is my first post) I hope you meant the Porsche GT3 was behind it in the standings, because that's a 360 Modena behind the Spyker... :wink:

the factory is near Zeewolde and the only factory of spyker!

The office is infront of the factory so everything is there.

Their contact info on the spyker site isl isted as follows:

SPYKER AUTOMOBIELEN BV

DE BEAUFORTLAAN 6

3743 DS BAARN

THE NETHERLANDS

It's not a P.O. box so they at least have to have some offices their. I can only imagine it's their HQ, why would they else list it there?

I'm pretty sure they were working on a second factory to boost their capacity from 2 to 6 cars a month to meet the US demands. This press release on their site sais the same, altho I can't seem to find the press release about the second factory:

http://www.spykercars.nl/artikel.asp?ArtikelID=91

expanding its production capacity from 32 cars this year to 65 cars in 2004. A factor in this is Spyker's acquisition of Cavallino Engineering, with which it already shares its production facility in Zeewolde. This now gives Spyker control of the entire production facility including all the test beds and related equipment, thus safeguarding its future expansion.

I read in the other thread that you were at their production facility and saw the new design which was announced a while back, lucky you :)

preparation for the 2004 season, Spyker has engaged Cosworth Technology of Northampton, UK, a wholly owned Audi subsidiary, to develop the current Audi V8 engine used in both the C8 Spyder and the C8 Laviolette into a bi-turbo race engine. Spyker expects to unveil the Spyker C8 Spyder T using this engine at the IAA Frankfurt Motor Show in September. Both a TS version (Turbo Street) and a TR version (Turbo Racing) will be launched. These cars will be eligible for all international race events as well as for national GT championships, and will be campaign alongside the continuing Double12 programme.

As I said before I have driven a C8 Spyder at Zandvoort, wasn't allowed to go over 160km/h tho :(, the car can't be compared to anything. It's just such a frikkin great car I can hardly explain it. It's awesome!

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...