EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Lotus Esprit 3.5 TT

thepolarfoxqx

Empfohlene Beiträge

This car does not get talked about often. Based on the premise of light weight, its hanling is second to none, it requires only 350hp to make a 4 second run to 60mph. Its center engine mounted is for supreme balance. The 3.5L Rover V8 sounds great. It is also twin turbo, which lends its 350 at 6500 in terms of HP, it only has a 5spd (but the engines torque curves makes up for it). It is like a race car for the everyday. Not only that, but it is one sexy car.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

I personally find quality to be paramount (this is why I have always thought of porsche and bmw sports cars as superior to those from the united states, italy, and england. I do although think that for the price, such a compromise is neccesary, I would gladly pay 15000 more for eprit if it were of higher quality. That said, it outhandles nearly everything (it outperforms McLaren F1 which costs 10X as much on the skidpad and through the slalom cones) and it keeps up with a 360 Modena in terms of acceleration. It is the quintessential european sports car. Light weight, simple, fast, handles like it is on rails, and it painfully tempermental and unreliable. It was only 10 years ago that ferraris could not be daily drivers because of how often they broke. The quality at Lamborghini is of such calibre that they only offer a 24,000mile/2year powertrain warrantee. Quality is precarious in many high performance cars. I guess we have been spoiled by german cars, and german influence on their neigbors (and the need of their competitiors to match german quality to compete)

• 2 Monate später...

The Esprit is a truly fine performer, when it is perfoming :wink: But you are right... For the price, compared to many other exotics (non-German), it is a great value.

For my personal taste, I like the '02 Elise. I love driving topless, and for 60K compared to 90K for the Esprit, and similar driving statistics... And it is as cute as a bug. But, what will it cost to get the damn thing street legal?

I don't know that the elise is as fast at Esprit, though 2003 is esprits last year of production. It would cost way too much to make an elise legal. Just buy a porsche 911 for the same price.

• 2 Wochen später...

You are right, of course :wink: . The Porsche is the only way to go when it comes to performance and/or dependability. I am currently eyeing a '94 Speedster. If I buy it, I will make it a one-of-a-kind. A little body work from Strozek (Wide body, side and front skirting, rear spoiler, lowering, and head lights). If budget allows, I would like to add some power via Turbo(s). A local shop where I live, offers a full rebuild with a single turbo for 19K. I think if I shop around, I can probably do better :-? !

On the Elise vs. Esprit note. I have never looked up stock specs. on the Elise. But, there is one for sale a little north of here. The owner claims 0-60 in 4.2 and a top of over 160. I have heard that showroom Elise's aren't near that. I will have to contact him to see what the difference is. But still, he is only asking 60K. Not bad for a fun toy that is small, nimble, cute and has a leaky top! Not that I would buy it... I still prefer the Porsche!!!

Well, the esprit was an amazing car right out of the factory, but alas - it lacks the germanic precision. My father has been eyeing a few ferraris for a while (a 512TR, 348, and 355) - i try to convince him to get a porsche - but he likes passion over precision in performance cars. Cez La Vie!

• 1 Monat später...

Practically every Lotus ever made is a car of unparalelled handling and performance thanks to light weight. But it's impossible to say that Lotus quality can be compared to BMW, for instance.

But that's not what a Lotus is about. A Lotus is for driving enjoyment, a unique experience, and that's why owners forgive their Lotuses reliability issues.

• 4 Wochen später...
  • 3 Monate später...

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...