EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Wouldn't there be a gap of power in the 5-Series line-up.

All Wheel Drive

Empfohlene Beiträge

I mean the M5 is going to come the next summer (I think sooner). But the M5 has 500hp. His younger (545i) brother has 333 hp and so on. I say there is a gap of power.

Wouldn't it be sensible to put an engine that has let's say 380-400hp? I think 167hp is still a big difference. 100hp less and 20000 or 15000 euros less than the M5. I think it will be a wise step for BMW to take...

How about that? Any knowledge I don't have?

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
the 5-series could get a 4,8l v8 with roughly 400hp or a biturbocharged v8 producing 450hp.

BMW will never use force induction on their regular series models. They will always be left NA.

Now the Motorsport Und is different they MIGHT think about forced induction on those. :???:

P.S. If twin-turbocharging ne series BMW only produces 50 more hp they midas well leave it out, if that's all they can get out of the engine plus have reliability.

it's not all about the maximum output...what about torque? :wink: (two stage turbocharging is focused on it)

besides i have exaggerated the power figure for the NA v8 (it wont have as much as 400hp,rather 380 or less)

it's not all about the maximum output...what about torque? :wink: (two stage turbocharging is focused on it)

besides i have exaggerated the power figure for the NA v8 (it wont have as much as 400hp,rather 380 or less)

Just to be a wise ass... the power curve can be deducted from the torque curve on the entire rev range and viceversa. So if BMW decides to modify one of those, the other will be implicitly modified.

So now the question is reduced to what it was before: will BMW bring more powerfull engines than the actual 4.4i and excepting the M5 one?

U already answered what u knew, thx.

The M5 has 500hp. His younger (545i) brother has 333 hp and so on. I say there is a gap of power.

BMW has traditionally filled any "gap" with a Sport model. Like the 540i Sport with a tighter suspension, 6-speed box, and shadow window trim - but leaving the engine alone. This effectively filled the space between the M5 and standard 540 and 525/30 models.

I can see them possibly adding a bit more power to a sportier 545 ( which has 325 hp. not 333 by the way - plenty of power in it's own right to get you somewhere in a wicked hurry ) but nothing too drastic. BMW wouldn't bring another 5-Series model to market unless the standard cars were lacking, which I don't think they are.

I can see them possibly adding a bit more power to a sportier 545 ( which has 325 hp. not 333 by the way

325 by US standards of measuring power. 333 by the European ones.

Didn't say that. I was talking about curves and not peak values O:-):-))!:wink2::D

and i originally wasn't talking about these curves..i have mentioned the maximum output and the torque curve and there is no connection..so why were you quoting me dull ? :wink2:

325 by US standards of measuring power. 333 by the European ones.

You said " 333 hp. " Horsepower would be a U.S. measurement. You mean Kw. right?

MV and AWD. Just a misunderstanding. Quit snapping at eachother about curves, it's boring and off topic. :bored::wink:

In the early 1970's America/American Manufacturers used the term brake horsepower. Then the American Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended manufacturers use "hp (SAE)" to indicate the power of the engine.

That's where SAE came from.

All i know bout DIN is it stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung.

It's Germany's industry standard setting organization, a member of the International Organization for Standardization.

Basically it's our equivalent to American National Standards Institute.

I think next Alpina B10 (or B5) is going to fill that gap, like it always did since B10 Biturbo went out of production. It seems that there's some kind of agreement between Alpina and BMW on that matter, I mean that B10 must not be faster than M5.

So I doubt that Alpina E60 will get the same kompressor V8 (500 hp, 700 Nm) as the new B7, because it's got almost 40% more torque than M5 with practically same hp.

Sorry for Alpina :(

• 1 Monat später...

BMW has some options to fill the 180 plus hp gap. the first , once they've introduced their new 3.5L I6, which will push the 3.0 to base and the 2.5 off the 5 series lineup, (225hp 3.0L, 280hp 3.5L), they can push the 4.4L up to 340hp, maybe more if it's there. They could drop an uptweaked 4.8L from X5 in in place of, or in additon to the 4.4L, or they could do nothing. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

I'm glad to see there is one more that finds this interesting. I sure do. But are u sure thay are going to introduce the 3.5l I6? They already have the 3.6l V8. It wouldn't seem BMW wise to be kind of redundant.

they have the 3.6 V8 for the european market, yes, but that engine is heavy, wide, and V8. Mercedes and Audi introduced new V6s this year that will go into the C-Class and A4 respectively. Mercedes' is a 3.5L DOHC 24V V6 good for 272hp, Audi's is an all new 3.2L DOHC 90 Degree 24V Direct Injection V6 good for 252hp, either one would give the C or the A4 power to trump the three series. BMW's 3.0L just won't cut it against the competition. There has been word of the 3.5L I6 for a while. It could have been scrapped, we know how secretive BMW is, but the simple fact stands, the next M3 will be a 4.0L V8, will they really drop a V8 under the hood of a non-M 3? They need more power for the three and something to push the 5-series engines up to plug the gap, so i guess you bring up an interesting question, will bimmer fix their hole with a 3.5L I6 or a 3.6 V8, and does the prospect of a 335i V8 scare anyone else?

well, they ahd originally planned on producing a 3.5L I6, but i'm beginning to think that might have gotten shelved after the reworking of the 3.0L was so succesful. The 3.5L would come too close to a their 3.6L V8, so the question had to be raised whether the 3.5L planned to replace the 3.0L could have just been the 3.6L. I doubt we'll see one for some time.

As an interesting note, for south africa - the M30 3.5L I6 was lowered into the E30 as a production 335i.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...