EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

500 horsies SL55 vs. Galardo vs. Viper SRT-10

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

Read here:

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=5497&artikel_seite=0&A_SESS=04bf8a881cda8024059a2f507791b60c

Okay so the article is in german... I'll do my best to translate some of the more interesting parts.

So who's the fastest?

The Benz. The Galardo can follow the SL but with some difficulty. The SL and the Galardo have no problem at all leaving the SRT-10 behind.

Noteable is however that the SL is the only one limited to 250kph (155mph). So once the 250 comes up, the Galardo and SRT-10 have no problem leaving the SL behind. Very frustrating because the SL shoots to 250 like an arrow and then suddenly the limiter comes up.

Which one has the best handeling?

Galardo followed by the SL and as last the SRT-10. The Viper has much trouble keeping it straight on their test track.

Conclusion:

All three cars are a class apart. From the brute boombastic fire hazardous Viper to the Compromiseless track potent and fast Galardo to the sport machine with class, style, elegance and potential the SL. All three have their own ups and downs.

For their final rating look here:

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=5497&artikel_seite=5

Translation of the judgement points:

Optik = Styling (looks)

Sound = Sound

Handling/Rennstrecke = Handeling on the course

Fahrsicherheit = Safety

Fahrspaß = Driving pleasure

Federung = Shockbreakers

Lenkung = Steering

Schaltung = Shifting

Sitze/Platz = Seats and seating

Alltagstauglichkeit = Everyday usefullness

Beschleunigung = Acceleration

Zwischenspurt = Sprint from 60 to 120 kph

Vmax = Topspeed

Leistungs-Gewicht = Weight

Bremsen = Breaks

Preis = Price

Ausstattung = Options that come with it

Verbrauch = Mileage

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

wow, so the Gallardo, which everyone had doubts on (atleast in the american press), and the yaughtly SL55 BOTH owned the viper. someone finally sticking up for my belief that it isn't that good.

OKay guyz little retification, seems I translated the text a little bit wrong:

Dem Lambo kann der Sternen-Kreuzer zwar trotzdem nicht ganz folgen, zumindest die Viper lässt er aber immer knapp hinter sich.

I thought this said:

The Lambo can follow the Starcruiser but can't just quite keep up. at least the Viper gets left behind everytime with a good distance.

But what it's supposed to say is:

The Starcruiser can follow the Lambo but can't just quite keep up. at least the Viper gets left behind everytime with a good distance.

So if you ask the question who's the fastest? The Lambo followed by the SL (keeping up but can't quite pass) and then the Viper with a long distance.

Everybody on this board knew the Viper wouldn't perform. Atleast fox me and a few others did. It's nice to see our thoughts final confirmed by a 3rd party (a very indepedent 3rd party might I add).

With over 500kg more weight aboard the SL does a good job at keeping up with the Lambo but just doesn't have what it takes. The Lambo is a ment to be a racehorse and the SL not.

Oh come on, a Viper being left behind by an SL55? The thing is a 4,300lb. boat with an automatic, and a power to weight ratio of 8.8 lbs. I think maybe European testers just don't know how to test American cars. They probably put the Viper in there for kicks thinking it wasn't a serious contender anyway. Bias. Every other place, the Viper kicks ass in a straight line. Whats' with tail pipes, are side pipes forbidden in Europe?

I wouldn't say the German press is baised or unobjective. If there is one western country with free independent press it's Germany. They don't lett themselves be influenced by any advertisers or are biased towards their own stuff (probably because they know it's among the best in the world).

I don't read Dutch or English magazines and such, they're all full of nonsense. The Quote is a magazine I hate with hart and soul. If I really want to read a tech magazine then I (try to) read German stuff. Some German magazines do translated to Dutch or English.

Their articles, be it tech or cars, are always based on facts, objective and well argumented.

They did give the Viper a fair chance, and they rated the Viper fairly. Look at the rating they gave the Viper when it comes to breaking. American cars always had much better breaks then their European counter parts and the Viper has the biggest breaks of them all. And that fact clearly comes out their ratings.

I think the reason why the SL and Galardo come out on top when it comes to speed is because they both have ESP. The Viper doesn't have ESP which makes it really hard to pull out. Germans and Italians in general make better gearboxes, those 2 combined give the two a very big edge over the Viper.

in a staight line i sure wouldn't put my money on a viper over a gallardo, the numbers are just so much gallardo's favor. SL55 has the perfect torque curve too, and i generally don't bet against mercedes. This doesn't suprise me much. I'm fairly sure the american press gives bias to their home cars. this one was fair, and that's why it didn't win.

Tnx for bringing that up aswell, the SL might be heavier but it has much more torque available much sooner then the Viper.

Viper: 711Nm @ 4250 - ?? rpm

SL55 : 700Nm @ 2750 - 5300 rpm

The SL has a very wide powerband, while the Viper just has a little peak.

According to the 0 - 60 times the SL is faster aswell. Maybe just a 10th of a second but it is faster.

Viper SRT-10: 4.8s

SL55: 4.7s

Even when you do a price comparison then the SL comes out on top. The SL costs 18k more but for that money you get the lastest tech, a good entertainment system, airco and a automatic hardtop.

The Viper is a manualy operated convertible, no airco, somewhat outdated tech and a mediocre entertainment system.

I think if the SL was a 500kg lighter it could easily take on the Galardo and some other highperformace cars aswell.

So you're saying that 0-60 in 4.8 is the true time for the Viper. Unless the SRT/10 is slower than it's predesessor, I don't see how GTS could maintain a reputation for 0-60 in 4.0 and a 1/4 mi. in the 12s' all these years if it were a ruse.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo GIR,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Sportwagen Kaufberatung (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

To be honest I don't know what the 0-60 times of the SRT-10 is. Some say it's 3.9s others say it's 5.2s and yet again others day it's 4.3s.

The funny thing is that the Dodge site doesn't go into much detail when it comes to Viper specs. All I could find is this:

Starting from $81,795 MSRP**

500 hp

525 lb.-ft. of torque

505 cu. in. of displacement

Full-convertible clamshell design top

14" front and rear brake rotors

Great structural rigidity for amazing handling

Even more amazing because I thought the Viper came with 16" brake rotors.

Well, here are some test results from November 2002 Car&Driver. They tested both the SL55 AMG and the SRT/10 in that issue in seperate tests, and they claim the SRT runs to 60 in 3.9, and 0-100 in 8.5. Seems like a reasonable upgrade from the GTS.

In the SL55 test, they reported 0-60 in 4.5 and 0-100 in 10.9, adding that it was the fastest Mercedes they had ever tested. I really don't see how these numbers could be " bogus ". Both Dodge and Mercedes advertise with C&D anyway. It could be testing conditions and drivers, but either way, I don't see an SRT Viper getting left behind.

Yea, I'm just not buying it either. The Viper is slightly more powerful, and much lighter than the Benz. Also the SL has a reported skidpad rating of .9 g's, and the Viper is said to have 1.05 g's. I don't know how reliable those are, but is there really going to be a .15 difference? I doubt it, thats pretty serious. And multiple sources say 3.9 for the Viper, and 4.4 for the SL. I just don't see how the Viper can't keep up. The Lambo is one thing, but the SL, common, thats a luxury rocket, not a pure-bred muscle car.

to be honest, i don't believe there should be any questioning of the gallardo coming out on top. Simply put, it makes sense.

As for Viper vs. SL55, legitamately, in an ideal run, i believe a viper would edge out the SL55, no blow away victory, but it should come out a bit faster. I figure a fair and decent number for the viper is 4.0-4.5, a fair and decent number for the SL55 is about 4.5. Every so often you'll have a real cold, dry morning when you can just turn out acceleration numbers that are amazing, but i figure the viper should be a little faster.

My only caveat to my statement is this: The viper will be faster - on it's best run, bun seeing as the SL55 is an automatic with a number of high tech devices ensuring its launch dynamics are consistent, every time you floor that car, it will turn out it's best number, or damn close to it. The viper could be all over the place dependent on how you launch and shift it, and even the best drivers aren't totaly consistent in a car as sensative as viper. You are just a little too agressive in it and you sit still spinning the tires.

So in the end, on a good run viper is faster, but i think SL55 is more applicably fast.

i'll admit, viper does have better grip, less weight, and is a better performing car, and a better sports car, but i could see it coming out more or less even with an SL55 on the average 0-60 run.

Okay, they're discussing the European Viper here. The European Viper has been detuned and has catalysts (that's why the exhaust is at the back) to meet the EU regulations.

So compared head to head on a level playing field. The Galardo and SL come out on top. I don't know about the Galardo but the SL's sold in the US are exactly the same as the ones sold in the EU so they still do meet the EU requirements.

I wonder what would happen when you would pull the catalysts of the SL, drop the envoiremental friendly programing for a more agressive programing and put it up against a US Viper.

• 2 Wochen später...
Okay, they're discussing the European Viper here. The European Viper has been detuned and has catalysts (that's why the exhaust is at the back) to meet the EU regulations.

So compared head to head on a level playing field. The Galardo and SL come out on top. I don't know about the Galardo but the SL's sold in the US are exactly the same as the ones sold in the EU so they still do meet the EU requirements.

I wonder what would happen when you would pull the catalysts of the SL, drop the envoiremental friendly programing for a more agressive programing and put it up against a US Viper.

It appears my previous post was deleted. Nice.

The US cars have cats too. Pulling the cats and retuning the benz would be neat but pointless for a comparison because the car is not sold that way. I believe that the reason for the different exhaust location on the vipers is due to regulations against sidepipes in some european countries.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...