EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

2004 SRT-4

jterp

Empfohlene Beiträge

No, I don't race, except on the street. But I do know that any front drive turbo woes are negated by just knowing how your car responds, and in turn knowing how to handle it, simple as that. If one is afraid of how their front drive turbo car bahaves, then they obviously are not too familier with their car.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

i drove a mazdaspeed, and it's handling impressed the hell out of me, but two high power FWD things were there, it would understeer mid corner as soon as boost got up, and it torqued steered like a banshee.

SRT4 doesn't have the handling finesse of a mazdaspeed, and the numbers show it. It still has all the FWD problems. FWD has advantages, just not in handling.

There was a Car&Driver test with the SVT Focus, Mazdaspeed Protege, Nissan Sentra SE-R, and the Dodge SRT/4. Mazdaspeed impressed them too, but not enough to stop them from hailing the SRT/4 as tops in the whole bunch.

They also love their BMWs'. They may be an American magazine, but it's not unlike them to choose a foreign car over a U.S. one. I think they complained about the Mazdaspeed's power, or the engine somehow.

Anyway, that was an '03 model SRT they tested, and it's only getting better.

i drove the mazdaspeed.... hated it. the turbo sounded like a dying duck, the handling was average... i guess good for fwd. i saw the comp between the srt, mazda, svt, and mini... the only reason the srt won was because of power. they loved the svt focus, they said it was a great car, and mind you the only NA car in thecomparison. for that car to get 2nd against 3 other FI cars amazes me.

i'd get an SVT focus in a hearbeat, that engine under the hood is amazing, and i much prefer natural aspiration, i'm saying as far as turbo FWD cars go, mazdaspeed isn't bad. If you kept your foot out of the gas a bit, it went around the corners pretty nicely. SVT focus is an american car i'm really proud of. It's the most elegant engineering i've seen on one of our cars in a while.

You can't really feel a 1 seccond difference in the zero sixty seat of your pants, but a smoother more ably handling car, one that has balance and poise, you will be able to feel that, and enjoy it.
i dont know about that. if i can feel a difference of one second in the quarter mile then im pretty sure i can feel the difference of one second in 0-60.

It's true, the SVT Focus is a really nicely done car, I can appreciate well honed handling. Although more power would be nice for an SVT edition. Everything should be amped up. But the Focus succeeds in being a nice balance between regular, and over the top. " Understated sport ", which has traditionally been a European specialty.

you can feel one seccond in the quarter? that is pretty impressive, considdering if you were in a race, 1 seccond would be just a few car lengths.

I'm saying one seccond isn't going to be huge to the feel of it. It will be slightly noticable, but an SVT focus won't feel stupidly slow next to an SRT4.

slicks alone on my car= -1sec

or

a civic cx/vx tranny= +1sec, i can totally feel the difference.

the svt focus will in no way feel slow especially when the lateral g's mix with the g's from acceleration coming out of a turn. the svt focus wont ever feel slow compared to the srt4, just not as fast. i dont think i worded that correctly.... you know what i mean right?

i'm saying unless i drive the cars back to back, no i couldn't feel a difference between a 12 seccond car and a 13 seccond car. I might have an inlcination one was faster, but i wouldn't say so for sure.

I'm saying, unless you drive them back to back, i don't know that you'll really feel the SRT4 is markedly faster, and the SVT Focus handles better and has more refinement to boot.

One second may seem like a large amount of time on paper, especially when you break it down to tenths the way car people do. But in real time, in the heat of the action, one second is nothing, it goes by just like that.

Nobody gets out of a car and says " Yup, this car does 60 in 5.6 seconds, I can feel it. " They use a stop watch or something to count times.

im not saying you can tel the difference between 5.6 and 5.8. but you can tell the difference between 12 second 1/4 and a 13. you can feel the car pull a hell of a lot harder. i have a low 13 second car, and a high 13 car, and you can TOTALLY tell the difference in driving.

i've never been able to tell a big difference between them. Especially when the suspension and engine are more refined in the faster car, it can even feel slower. My Jaguar in no way feels like it goes 0-60 in under 7 secconds, but it does. 1 seccond is tiny in a distance race like the quarter. It can show something, but one seccond is not huge seat of the pants pull neccesarily. There are a lot of varialbes that impact what you feel.

• 3 Wochen später...

Heres my question i mean lets say i buy one of these is this whole 4-cyl thing gonna die off in a couple of years and turn my car into the next Omni GLS? Dont get me wrong i think there awesome and fast but is it worth the risk?

I would not advise purchasing one as an investment, but fast, cheap cars are never going away. 4-bangers with punch for a good price is nothing new. As far as gasoline cars, they will no doubt be the last to go.

My advice is, buy one if you really want one, because you'll have a lot of fun, and it won't depreciate any faster than a standard model, probably less.

that doesn't say much. The dodge neon has consistently about the worst resale in the book. Hopefully this one will be a little better, but just the same, it still isn't great. It's not like buying a lexus, bmw, mercedes, or porsche (porsche especially) which just don't devalue much. You don't buy a dodge for resale, and you don't buy an SRT4 for durability. They cost that much for a reason. I'm sure it's going to last you 70k, the term of the powertrain warrantee, maybe it will blow something in that time, but it wouldn't matter if it did, but i dont' expect it to last much past 100k, which is pretty sad for a modern car. I think of the SRT4 as the new dodge daytona, you know the little turbocharged 4 cylender low price coupe of the late 80s/early 90s? A lot of bang for the buck, just don't count on them to last you.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...