EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

MB to introduce new generation engines

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

computers have plusses and minuses in cars. Key and go, no.

Trac/stability control is fine so long as it can be switched off. Personally, i would want my car to have solid linkages in the steering and brakes, but hey, if you trust something that requires power, that's fine.

Electronics have done a lot for cars in the past two decades, i just wonder if sometimes they get taken too far.

And GIR,

latenight drives a 740I, the old body style, pre-i-drive.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Ok, GIR, every one of those things you listed as fake are most certainly not fake. Steer-by-wire is not fake either. The point being made is that the feedback from the road is fake, its simulated because there is no direct connection. Also every one of those things you listed can fail and you would still be able to get home. With drive-by-wire, you at least would careen off the road, you'd just be stranded. But brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire are different. If they ever fail for any reason at speed, you're dead. Also steer-by-wire can't possibly get rid of human error, because it can't read into the future or repell the laws of physics. The only plus that I see with brake-by-wire is that it can slightly apply the brakes when wet in order to dry them, but this could be done on regular brakes, so what gives? The steering column doesn't fail. It has been around since the invention of the car, has never posed a real problem, and hasn't failed (under normal, legal conditions). I don't know why MB wants to reinvent everything.

• 3 Wochen später...

I realize I'm a little late with this post, but I'm going to post anyway. :wink:

I'm going to research this steer-by-wire thing a little deeper. I am inclined to think that it's not what it is in the sense of an airliner. Throttle-by-wire makes total sense just like a vehicle speed sensor makes total sense. You have one sensor feeding input to the ECM (or PCM) as the case may be, and MANY systems within the car can use that information.

When MB first debuted brake-by-wire, I thought to myself "Yikes! That sounds risky!" But they haven't even had a technical service bulletin posted regarding the brake-by-wire system according to Alldata. And there is a manual hydraulic system (no power assist) in place in the event it fails.

Currently, I'm not sure how they would rig a back-up system for the steering, but I DO know that they're not going to put something on the market that isn't 100% safe, nor would DOT allow it. Aside from the most important thing, lives, they have too much to lose. Too much of a reputation for safety. Say what you want about their current building techniques and then compare weights. A 77 300D with a current day E320. They're not lighter at all. Some of it is gizmos, but the majority is reinforcements for the passenger compartments. Would I rather get in a wreck in an E320 than the Nissan I currently drive? You bet... My Nissans are both great cars, but complete rattle traps compared to a Benz.

Raptor

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...