EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY
PorschePlayboy928

De Lorean

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
LateNightCable
Geschrieben

Thats' one way to get a hold of an 80s' classic. I've always had the ambition of buying a time capsule car.

TradingWise
Geschrieben

Not bad..What engines to they have?

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

You mean you don't know? I thought you knew it all Trade.

The DeLorean is powered by a 2.85 liter DOHC V6, known as the PRV V6, because of it's Peugot/Renault/Volvo pedigree.

In stock form it produced 130 hp @ 5,500 and 153 lb.ft. @ 2,750

It has a reputation for great reliability, but never gave the kind of power the DeLorean could have used. A turbo model was in the planning stages before the DeLorean company went out of business, but aftermarket turbo packages are available.

By " time capsule car " I mean it would be so cool to have a car 15 years old or more, that has hardly been touched, just like new everywhere. They're around. :P

jterp
Geschrieben

35k? You can get one in good shape on ebay for 12k. Not to mention, didn't they quit making deloreans in the first place because all the big-wigs went to prison? Now they're out and we're going to send them 35k?

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

I don't know the details, but I think it was just John DeLorean who went to the bighouse for a while.

thepolarfoxqx
Geschrieben

DeLoreans were a fantastic car in concept, they looked and gave the impression they were real perormance, until you got behind the wheel.

Stainless Steel is heavy ass stuff. not exactly what you want a 130hp engine to motivate.

jterp
Geschrieben

I dont argue that they were awesome designs... I think the idea of a car that doesnt rust (well, the body didnt rust at least) is awesome. The car was way underpowered though. I actually thought about buying one a few years ago, just to cruise around to local shows in... There are some people out there who can put them together just as well as DMC will do for a lot less than 35k.

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

Besides the novelty, what is the attraction of the DeLorean? Many seem to consider them " dream cars ", but from a performance point of view they were real clunkers.

jterp
Geschrieben

From what I've heard (all heresay) they were designed to be a revolutionary supercar - futuristic, reliable, indestructible (stainless steel).

When is came time to produce a powerplant though (I've heard various stories here -) one is that they failed to take into account the excessive weight that the stainless body panles would bring to the car. Another is that they skimped on the motor to offset the excessive production costs of an all stainless steel car... Yet another was that the motor was developed in Europe and when forced to conform to US emissions standards (remember this was 1980) the motor died from excessive de-tuning.

As we said before a turbo was planned but Mr. Delorean went to jail for fraud or drugs or something shady like that and the car died.

Today I look at it more as like a pop icon than a dream car -- its the back to the future car... It'll never ned a paintjob (there's something cool about a car that doesnt get painted), and it would be fun to pull up to a valet at a restaurant and open the gullwing door...

izzyloveslizzy
Geschrieben

I'd love to own one. BTW I'm surprised people actually remember/know this car. I'll buy one if it comes with a flux-capacitor! :wink:

PorschePlayboy928
Geschrieben
I'd love to own one. BTW I'm surprised people actually remember/know this car. I'll buy one if it comes with a flux-capacitor! :wink:

What would surprise me is how many know what a flux-capacitor is.

thepolarfoxqx
Geschrieben

excuse me, i know what a flux capacitor is! both in real life and in movie context!

(this is why sci-fi obsessed EE budies are fun), and there were cars that weren't as underpowered as delorean coming out of europe at that time.

The volvo iteration of that powerplant (used in 760) made more horsepower. That is depressing. It wasn't that it was a cheap motor, it was that it just wasn't tuned for performance.

DeLorean was jailed for fraud, he took business loans from the british government, got more money from them to offset damages done in a riot to his belfast office, and then all of a sudden, no one could find the money. Uh Oh.

izzyloveslizzy
Geschrieben

Well, if you know about the DeLorean and it's history in reality and in movies, then you're likely to know about the flux capacitor. As for how underpowered the DeLorean was, it doesn't matter. DeLorean's problems were no worse than Austin's. But the cars were historic. I think the Delorean would be a good restoration project. I'd tweak the hell out of the existing motor and add a hell of a lot of weird Back To The Future look-alike gadgets that would make it look even cooler. I've always wanted to do that. BTW does ayone know how much a DeLorean is worth, these days?

thepolarfoxqx
Geschrieben

depends on a lot of factors.

where are you getting performance parts for that engine? not even crazy volvo people make tweak parts for the 2.85.

PorschePlayboy928
Geschrieben

I wonder if you could throw a 302 or a 305 in there?

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

It seems to me that the molds that were used to press stainless steel body panels would not last for squat. Does anyone know how long those lasted? I think that would get really expensive after awhile.

PorschePlayboy928
Geschrieben

?They say they never rust? What about warping? I think when you bought them new you got a stainless protection kit or something (I don't know for sure).

jterp
Geschrieben

The stainless steel protection kit was just stainless polish or "stainless steel shampoo" as delorean called it and some other car wash goodies. I don't know about warping -- i think they were pretty solid.

As far as tuning the 2.85 goes, volvo may not have any parts, but there is a huge Delorean owners club and some people who have done some wild things to the cars. I know you can get exhausts and intakes and turbos for them... I would assume that someone somewhere probably makes a set of heads and a cam that you can slide in there..

You can buy a POS delorean for anywhere from $3500 - $5000. A nice one, well maintained with low mileage will run anywhere from 12k- 20k. There's one on ebay right now with 800 original miles for 20k. There's a nice one with 20,000 miles for $9100.

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

This is very appropriate, since were on the subject of the DeLorean, and Back to the Future, I'd like for you all to hop on over to Compares and have some input on my " Amazing 80s' " thread. And check out the " Power and Beauty Gallery " in Miscellanious if you haven't already; it's a real feast for the eyes! :P

izzyloveslizzy
Geschrieben

It's sad that the Delorean is so harshly neglected. DMC needs to be revived. I heard Back To The Future 4 is coming out sometime in 2004 or 2005, and maybe that's a good opportunity for the remake of the DeLorean.

thepolarfoxqx
Geschrieben

John DeLorean is dead. His car company was a sham, their car was little more than eye candy, it never delivered. trust me, it is not something we need coming back.

jterp
Geschrieben

whoa, fox, tell us how you really feel! :)

Look at the DMC website (like the first post of this thread said to do). John Delorean may be dead but DMC is selling "like new" deoreans for 35k.

LateNightCable
Geschrieben

Back to the Future 4? That sounds like a bomb. The charactors would all be different. No Micheal J, no whatever his name is Loyd. Sounds like a crappy " new generation " teen flick.

I think the DeLorean is attractive to people after all these years, not for it's performance, certainly not, but because it is a symbol of another time, it's an independant creation, unlike a Ford or Chevy.

thepolarfoxqx
Geschrieben

or a chrysler. Amen