EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

2004 Ford Lightning Concept

Mongrel

Empfohlene Beiträge

it is talking about acceleration, not hosw fast it is, the svt lightning tops out at about 140, lots of cars can go faster.

* We care about acceleration because there aren't many places you can actualy reach the topspeed of your car legaly.

* We care about the 0-100 time but the 1/4 mile time doesn't do anything for us because once again there aren't many places you can go over that speed legaly.

* We look at what a car can do on a track and not in a straightline.

* And finally we look for comfortable and smooth rides.

that is what the article is trying to say, americans tend to race at the strip or on the street in a quarter mile, europeans dont.

and polarfox, it was 13 cars, not 15

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 152
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort

Uuum no. the article is trying to say that the rest of the world cares about topspeed and Americans care about acceleration. Which isn't true. Like I said if we cared about topspeed then we wouldn't limit our cars.

If the article writer really cares abotu acceleration and acceleration only then he/she should've looked at the the McLaren F1, the Lotec Sirius, the KoenigsEgg or the Pagani Zonda. All of which can pull around 1.1 G's. The article isn't complete by a longshot. Even more so because the 911 Turbo can easily outrun the Viper.

Having a Top15 or Top10 list would make much more sense then having a Top13 list. This whole list doesn'make sense at all, it's like it's been made so the Viper can look fastest but it isn't and happy joy if we can have the Lightning on the 13th spot.

well last i remember, i havent seen a mclaren f1 driving down the highway, although i may be wrong. i think that the article was referring to cars that some people actually have, and actually drive other than the track

and if Ferrari and Lambogini let them test their cars, the SVT would probably not be on the list.

And when was the last time you saw a F355 or Espirit driving down the highway? I think you need to reread the article cause there is a Ferrari in there. People who buy these cars don't plan on using them in their everyday driving, just to have fun once in a while. Hence most of the time they're stored away. Trust me, they are around. In the summertime on any given day I can see one of them supercars driving by.

listen, there are cars out there that would waste a 3000 GT VR4, the order is clearly crack smoking. Where is S4, C32, why is Esprit on the list? Who owns an esprit? better yet, the lightening, get real.

Lightening but no C32. That makes sense. Sure.

probably because the guys who made the list were dumb and didnt know all those cars that you guys are talking about, and it was just listing the cars that can do a quarter mile in less than 14 secs, which the lightning acheives nicely, i'm not saying that the lightning is the fastest or the best handeling machine out there, but you have to admit it beats the crap out of a mustang :lol:

and like somebody said earilier in the tread, if you grow up driving a truck, a fast truck just fits.

and i believe we are going off topic because the original post is about the 2004 concept lightning, which is suppost to be able to pull off a 12.5 ish quarter mile, and i think that is has the same engine as the new gt40 :D

I believe that article came from Motor Trend or Road & Track or something. The editors of Motor Trend seem to be smoking crack most of the time anyway. Forget that stinking Lightning, the new 390 h.p Cobra would send that thing home packing.

well cobras are nice, but it is at least 10 grand more than the lightning, and i dont even know what motortrend is, so that is not where i got my info, go to supercars.net, and do you think that ford is going to allow the lightning to be faster than the cobra, think again, but think about a cobra with the supercooler and 500 ponies :D and i do believe that the 2004 concept could at least keep up with your 2003 cobra, it is going to have about the same 1/4 mile, but the cobra would smoke it on the track, but about the 2004 cobra, if it has anywhre near the same engine it will kill the lightning, but i still like the lightning more :lol:

Well, I don't own a Cobra, and don't intend to anytime soon.

I think the whole concept of Supercoolers and even nitros injection is kinda dumb. Anything that provides a temporary burst of power, no matter how great is pretty silly, even if the Supercooler is ready for action again within a minute. What matters is the long run, I like a vehicle that has it's full potential on tap at all times.

If I want FAST, I would always go with a car. Anything else would just be a compromise, both in terms of handling and aerodynamics.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo Mongrel,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema US Cars (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

that's the beauty of a truly great naturally aspirated engine. They are there with everything no matter what, no matter how long.

Supercooler is a nice gimmick, the SVT cobra is a great sports car, and the best car that much money can buy. Lightening is fun and has a cult following. I'd still save my money and get an M3 over a cobra though. As good as cobra is, it still rides on the fox body platform dating back to the 70s. Hard to swallow.

• 3 Wochen später...

That comes from the SVT site, it's their job to talk up the SVT vehicles. They're not about to say, " It's goes like nothin' but to be honest folks, it still feels like a truck in the corners, sorry. "

A hallmark of all SVT-built vehicles may very well be stop and handle as well as they go in a straight line. Just with the Lightning, take it down a few notches from the Cobra.

SVT vehicles are very very good performance vehicles, but their word is to be taken with a grain of salt. does anyone else remember how they said the old cobra was 305hp and it was complete BS?

Yes, what was up with that anyway? It's strange the way Ford never got serious with the Mustang until the F-Cars were gone. They were always playing catch up.

By the way, Mongrel, thats' a pretty funky pic you have there. Bob Vila? :D

that is my name :wink:

but their word is to be taken with a grain of salt

yea, i know what you mean, on there website, one place says that it has 550 lbs. of torque, and the other says only 500, and i called them, and they said that the lightning was still on the drawing board and not even close to being tested :x

so you're bob vila, oh, that explains everything. :roll:

Ford had a power advantage on the Camaro the entire time they were on the Fox bodies. It wasn't until ford got rid of old fox and chevy dropped good 'ol 350 in camaro things got reversed.

The 5.0L Fox body was a muscle car, but was not a sports car. The damn thing had 2.73 rear differential and a .69 5th, the gearing was tall to say the least.

When Ford claimed that the Cobras had 305hp and they weren't producing it, the problem was traced back to the assembly line. Apparently the exhaust systems weren't fitting exactly right so the workers were "helping" them fit by way of rubber mallet! The exhaust systems on those cars were so full of dings and dents that the poor 4.6L motor couldn't breathe.. Ford acknowledged this problem and would replace it free of charge, but no recall notice was sent out (since it wasn't a safety issue) so not everyone got the info. --- Chances are most of them ended up with aftermarket exhausts anyway.

You know Polar, I believe thats the second time Mongrel has asked you " what is that supposed to mean? " The last time was when you called him redneck :wink: .

That thing about hammering the exhaust systems into place, jeez, what does that say not only about Ford workers and their Quality Control, but the tolerances of their parts? " What, you mean they don't fit boys? Then hammer them suckers in there, customers' never gonna know the dif. "

Spit on them for even considering that. If those assembly line hillbillys' don't get their act together, the quality of American cars will never be able to compete on a global scale. Everyone involved really just needs to raise their standards for excellence, and think of " Quality First " as more than just a slogan tacked to the caffeteria wall :roll: .

actually, ford assembly lines (as well as GM and Chrysler) move at a given speed. They don't slow down, so you have to finish your job before it passes, else the line has to be stopped. They do worse than not feed you for stopping the line. The lines also move pretty quick.

It is possible to build cars well in the US, BMW has a finaly assembly plant in spartansburg, SC. The only difference is there, the assembly hillbillies have to answer to germans :o

That reminds me of a Saturn ad I saw on television once. It portrayed a dutiful line worker spotting something on one of the cars and stopping the assembly line. The commercial ended with the problem being fixed, the line starting up again, and a plant supervisor and the line worker exchanging a soulful glance of pride and admiration. If only that were the reality :oops:.

Now you say they can't stand it when somebody stops the line? No wonder so many things slip past, they are worried about their job if they say anything.

Ford, Chrysler, and GM, You dishonest money grubbers, Walk your talk!

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...