EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

should i turbo or supercharge my 2003 m3 e46

king56

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

depends what you want.

You do realize you will have to lower your compression in an E46 M3 before you turbo or supercharge it. It is compressing 11:1, you'll need to drop it to say, 9:1 before you can saftely drop any sort of forces aspiration.

That said, a turbo kit would likely be able to give you the most totaly output, a supercharger would be able to give you a more immediate kick of thrust. Either way, I would leave mine naturally aspirated, there are some tricks you can do on intake, exhaust, fuel, valve, and igntion timing to crank your power up.

Also, thing about weight reduction, like taking anything you don't need out.

You'd be amazed by what you can do doing something like that.

the dinan kit does not void the factory warrantee, is MUCH MUCH easier to install (do you want to take out the full resonance variable intake? you have to put a new intake manifold in you do forced aspiration, and taking the old one out is not fun, just the wiring you have to do to remove it is enough to make me say no.

Durability is better too with dinan stuff, the engine's thing is that it revs like a banshee, embrace, don't try to change it.

installing any moderate-heavy forced induction on any bmw will require rebuilding the entire engine to handle it. bmw tuning is best done naturally aspirated. you can prett much do modifications to the bmw n/a motor one at a time but the fi project would take a large amount of money spent all at once.

in the case of the turbo: exhaust manifolds, intake manifolds, waste gate, oil lines, blow off or diverter valve, intercooler, and most importantly the turbo itself. with the supercharger you would just need the supercharger and intake piping. however, like polarfox had touched apon, lowering of the compression ratio helps for easier tuning. unfortunately compression is just the beginning of rebuilding the engine. the entire engine: rods, pistons, cams, head gasket, and sometimes sleeves need to be replaced with ones that not only lower compression but allow for less agressive timing to allow boost and durability. also remapping of the air-fuel maps, ignition timing, etc. needs to be done to avoid detonation. in the case of the newer bmw's variable timing there are multiple fuel maps making tuning much more complex for any sort of fi, thus taking much longer(understatement) on the dyno adjusting everything to the correct performance.

the bottom line:bmw makes an excellent na engine. take advantage of that and modify it in the environment it works best in.

BMW's ///M engines are pretty rock solid (not quite the super fortified AMG style, but darn close), i think they would stand up to some moderate forced aspiration, but you'd need new pistons and con rods for sure. Simply put, the BMW 3.2 was built in such a way that forced aspiration doesn't even do much for it. Sorry.

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo king56,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Sportwagen Kaufberatung (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

tune the engine how it is, there is room left to go with things much less severe than forced induction. some cars work great with forced induction, on M3 it is too much work for what it's worth. Anyhow, the M3 stock is wickedly responsive, you'd kill that doing forced induction. I'd say stick to natural aspiration.

Natural aspiration all the way, to me, sticking a turbo or charger in a BMW really doesn't seem natural. A Porsche, sure, but for a Bimmer's charictor? Nah. Can you tell I'm big on charictor? :P

sure you're big on character. I am not a big fan of turbochargers on porsches, i think their best driving cars are naturally aspirated. I'd love to have a GT3, but then again, that's just me.

you want to beam 400hp from the 3.2L. Wow.

Well, start with usualls, you'll need a new intake, new exhausts, headers, new cams, new computer, i'd look for underdriving pullies. I'm not sure what state you live in, but if you can, pull the catalyst. do some weight reduction, rip out anything you don't need, spare tires, jacks, pull 'em. I think between the pullies, cams, intake, exhausts, etc. you can get pretty close to 400. I suppose there are other things you can do if you really want more power, but that's what comes to mind right now.

california has very strict emmissions regs, so you'll have to make sure the chip and headers you get will still let your car pass. Some stuff (headers in particular) say they aren't 50 state legal, when in fact they are just fine. Sad news is you will have to keep your catalyst.

Everything else should be good to go though.

Lots of ricers keep the original exhaust, intake and chip in storage. When it's time for the anual checkup they just drop the original stuff in. Too big a hasle for me but they seem to think it's worth it.

• 1 Monat später...

If you're hardcore enough, do an engine drop for a 550BHP E60 M5 'gin and both supercharge AND turbocharge it. Professional Halon or Freon or Nitrous Oxide is highly recommended with the 2 aforementioned options. I think the engine should be able to take it. But it's like overclocking a processor. You don't slap the upgrades on and turn the ignition straight from the shop. I've heard more than one "dead engine" story from those hazardous engine mess-ups.

are you out of your mind? 15 years ago a dual setup with both an S/C and turbo was needed, but with new centrifugal superchargers and computer controlled turbos, there is no need for both, either one can deliver. Furthermore, I can mathematically prove that turbochargin (or supercharging) wouldn't even give a large horsepower increase on the 5.5L V10, and you'd have to spend so much money on custom made bottom end parts for it.

Not worth the trouble.

Not to mention, unless you can rearrange matter at will, that 5.5L V10 isn't fitting into a 3 series bay.

Are you out of your mind? ...

Well, I wasn't the one who said that to begin with, so no point beating me senseless over that.

Too bad the V10 won't fit under the bonnet of the 3, but I bet you could make the good-ol' V8 fit, and then work it's underbelly.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...