EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

New S4 vs E46 M3?

Sparco

Empfohlene Beiträge

Well, the 5.4 is just too big for a car as small as an SLK. BMW, thankfully is keeping the next generation M-Roadster on 6-cylender power. The three series may not even see the 3.5L they were planning for it, as they seem to have pressed the venerable 3.0L even further. The 3.5 would fall awful close to their 3.6L. A V8 would give the M3 a great boost. It is light weight, more power can only make it more impressive. Audi has the VW disease, aside from no creativity and part sharing, they are all obese. Everything they make is way way way too heavy. They are always the heaviest in their class almost without exception. They need the vision and unique design back to compete.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

I value light weight in a small sport coupe/sedan like the M3. The current E46 already weighs over 3,400 lbs. ( about 200 lbs. too much in my opinion, at least ) which makes the M3 among the heaviest 3-Series cars. Verging on a 330Xi sedan, damn near a 525i (!), and heavier than a 325 wagon with a manual. Making a new M with a V8, however light, could never really be light. It just seems to me like they're loading more stuff on, when they should be taking it off, like you and your 318. Lower weight is more power, in so many ways besides straight line speed. For maximum performance, I would take ultra low weight, over more cylinders anyday. BMW could still trump them all if they still believed in that approach.

Audi prides themselves on being an avant garde, and artsy carmaker. About the only place they are permited to express that, are in their interiors, which, given the company they're in, is amazing in itself. They use more aluminum than just about anyone, yet they weigh so much, it doesn't make a lick of sense.

the thing about audis that make them heavy are things you won't see. Things like the AWD box, the front differential, the additional driveline stuff, and the problem of shared parts. When you have use parts designed to work in a dozen different cars that are all very different, it won't be ideal or the best fit for any given car, well, also the pain of buying a 60k A6 and then seeing a 16k golf pull up next to you with the same headrests, same identical headrests, and for the most part, seats too. Audis are artsy, yeah, but where's the beef?

The M3 is pretty heavy, i think a lot of that is the extra trim, extra this, that, the big M5 rear diff, the bigger engine up front. They should cut down. If they could make the M5 lighter moving to V10, why not the M3 lighter moving to V8 right? With refinement comes weight it seems.

As far as i can see, BMW might would respond with the lil-overweight situation by saying, "if you want a lighter weight M3 then get the CSL."

Or tell you that you could get racing seats and leave the backs for the passengers and take out the spare tire. :???:

tell me, can you buy a CSL in north america?

The CSL shows us what a lighter M3 is capable of. I think an M3 should weigh no more than 3200, no more than that. Right now it is 3450. Seats and a spare won't get you more than 50lbs. Two hundred means more aluminum, more lexan, more elegant design, and all the little things, the new M5 is reported to weigh in at around 3,800lbs, if they can take 250lbs off M5, they should be able to squeeze it out of the M3 too.

don't forget the long, flat torque curve, seven speed sequential gearbox, and the fact that BMW's seem to perform better than their numbers would indicate, and you have one hell of a machine here.

• 2 Monate später...

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...