EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

AutoWeek article with a flock of new info on M5

GIR

Empfohlene Beiträge

Check out this AutoWeek article.

The spypics kinda look okay.. kinda.

The car is set to debut in the States by the end of 2004, and will carry an F1-inspired 500-plus-hp V10, according to BMW sources. Exact displacement of the normally aspirated engine—replacing the current M5’s 394-hp 4.9-liter V8—is unknown; various sources peg it at between 5.0 and 5.5 liters.

The engine forgoes new direct-injection technology found on BMW’s V12 and the much-touted Valvetronic intake lift control employed by BMW’s inline fours and V8s. Instead, it will have a third-generation version of the company’s Vanos variable valve timing system and four-valve heads similar to those on the F1 car. “They are more suited to the performance characteristics of the engine,” one insider said.

Despite monstrous output, the new V10 inherits the free-revving nature of previous M- division powerplants; fuel cutoff could be set as high as 9000 rpm. As a result, this M5 should have enough top-end poke to match any four-door. With suitable gearing, it should get to 60 mph from a standstill in less than 4.5 seconds, slashing three-tenths of a second from the official time achieved by the outgoing model, and making it the fastest-accelerating M-car ever. Top speed will be limited to 155 mph.

A new six-speed manual gearbox, available in a conventional or sequential manual configuration, will handle the power. BMW marketing execs want to include a six-speed automatic to up U.S. interest.

:D

Anywayz 6 speed auto in the U.S. ?! I think you U.S. people should rebel against that, who would ever want a autotranny on a M?! Somebody should smite them just for thinking that! Well it's marketing who came up with it... enough said I guess. Here's a suggestion to anybody who happens to live near the BMW Marketing offices. You could go over with a big hammer and discuss with them why having autotrannies on a M is a bad idea. Not obligating you to anything, just saying that there is a possibility.

it will have a third-generation version of the company’s Vanos variable valve timing system and four-valve heads similar to those on the F1 car

I wonder, does this mean it will have pneumatic valves?

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

on the topic of valves, most likely not. Valvetronic is a valve-timing system, not an entire valvetrain. A whole new layout would be needed to use pnuematic valves. Look for this to be what Steplessly Dual VANOS was to just plain VANOS.

There won't be a 6spd autobox, the sequential manual has been enough to lure auto customers to M3, why corrupt the M5?

I guess this ends those ill fated rumors of seven speed sticks.

The engine forgoes new direct-injection technology found on BMW’s V12 and the much-touted Valvetronic intake lift control employed by BMW’s inline fours and V8s. Instead, it will have a third-generation version of the company’s Vanos variable valve timing system and four-valve heads similar to those on the F1 car.

It will not have Valvetronic or direct injection. Instead it will have VANOS V3. From what I understand VANOS just applies on teh intake valves and Dual VANOS works on the intake and outlet valves. What VANOS V3 is... nobody knows.

VANOS and Dual VANOS were hydraulic and mechanical. So maybe VANOS V3 is pneumatic? Seeing it can be traced back to F1 and all F1 engines use pneumatic valves.

There are still some people claiming to have inside info on a 7 geared tranny. Currently I really don't know what to believe, but I'll go along with AW for now because they are more credible.

i don't know about pneumatic valves, that is a long one. If it debuts with that it will most likely the largest automotive brakethrough of the current decade, gas direct injection, no throttle body, pneumatic valve actuation, it will be the most sophisticated production car availible at any price.

Getrag doesn't make a 7spd manual transmission.

They have also said they aren't planning one.

Unless BMW has some manufacturer hiding in the wings with a 7spd box for some pointless reason, i'll stick to what AW says.

I saw an article some time ago about this engine having 10 throttle bodies and standard fuel injection. I just don't see why. So many people have although talked about the V10 having direct injection - so that is a suprise.

This will be a hell of an engine to see when it comes out.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...