EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

Mustang or RX7???

saxon4u

Empfohlene Beiträge

hmm you guys are forgetting the cubic capacity difference in these 2 cars is very much different. The rotary will always be on the lower side of torque compared to a V8 (that is why a turbo is used) The RX7 torque band can be widend with some more boost and some minor extend porting of the side plates. The RX8 has done away with rotor housing exhaust ports and utilised the end housings for intake and exhaust which allows a dramatic increase in end plate intake porting without the usual overlap that some budding rotary enthusiasts(incluiding myself) love so much.

The RX8 has a lower 180KW output to the Australian deliverd `95 SP RX7 which had a larger intercooloer and more boost, short shift 5 speed and modified exhaust which produced 220KW at standard.

But to compare a Rotary to a V8 will always be done and the rotary will usually always win with less work needed to make its performance improve.

I myself have ownd both old `74 model classic Rx3`s and a `95 SP Rx7 but my current vehicle is a `02 Holden Calais V8 300KW (LS1 Corvette engine) with some exhaust mods and a 6psi side blower which increases power output to around 380KW 11.5 quarter times.

I will never forget the rotary and I will end up with a RX8 for sure and add some peripheral porting.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

I'm not too familier with the history of Mazda and their rotaries. From what I read in this thread, they are not the punchiest of engines, they don't last forever, and the maintenance is a pain. I'm curious as to why Mazda is so insistant in developing the rotary theme, besides very small size, what are the advantages?

they are small, sound strange, are unique, and at peak, they carry a wallop. Peak is usually very narrow. The thing about them is that they are very very light. that helps the car be light, and gives it a very sporty feel.

Mazda offers a 3 year unlimited engine warrantee for the new Rx8. This shows the engine life of a rotary engine to be as long as any conventional engine. 300,000KM is not out of the ordinary for a well looked after rotary engine with oil changes at 10,000km intervals. There is no servicing needed any different from a conventional engine. Unless large porting, lightening rotors, over reving and poor maintenance is done this will decrease engine life and so will to a conventional engine also.

Rotary engines derived their bad rap way back in `69 - 71 with the R100 and early Rx3. They had rotor oil seal problems and used alot of oil in some cases. from `74 when the Rx4 was introduced Mazda was the first manufacturer to offer a 200,000KM warrantee on the 13b.

Still some never forget the first engine problems and will continue to bag it.

Later turbo engines had notable poorer performance when the intake air temp was too high because of a inefficient intercooler and was fixed with a larger more efficient one. Also many V8 owners were passed by a car with 1/10th size engine capacity and the anger grew. I myself have passed over 200,000 dollar porsches with my finger raised in a `74 Extend port RX3 which cost me only 2,000 ;)

If you dont have the money then a Rotary is for you and is known as the "Poor Mans Porsche"..oh yeah and the girls like em too.

The ladies like the rotaries huh? I think women often prefer sporty little cars, as opposed to the big boomer cars that a lot of guys go for.

I aways thought the rotary concept was an interesting, and refreshing thing. Just this triangle spinning around inside, it's facinating. I wonder if anyone has tried to build a " big block " rotary.

if the rotary's combustion chamber gets too big, compression becomes uneven, and you start loosing power. you can make more rotors, they just can't get bigger. mazda has a 2.0L tri-rotor for the japanese market. that thing is a beast

the reason the rotary is still being pushed by mazda is that in the relm of physics and theology the rotary engine is superior. the combustion engine moves metal in a linear fashion very fast to get power. the stoping and then accelerating of the pistons and rods takes away much more power than the somewhat circular design of the rotary. in theory the engine should produce more power, consume less fuel, and be much smaller and lighter than any combustion engine. unfortunately, this is only in theory........

pushrod enigines are outdated and innefficient by design.

Rotaries are good concept, but they need more work and refinement.

I have a hard time finding anything better than a DOHC layout for an engine at the moment.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...