EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

600 BHP Audi RS8 in the pipelines

imported_M

Empfohlene Beiträge

An article form Auto Express confimed that Audi will produce an RS8. The engine will be a bi-turbocharded 6.0l W12 good for around 600 BHP.

Lets see BMW or Mercedes respond to this threat.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 54
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort
  • 2 Wochen später...

First off - Mercedes - They are releasing an S60 AMG - it uses a retuned version of Maybach's powerplant - which in current form is good for 550hp, and of course, not burdened with the weight of an AWD system - could be quicker. bits and pieces have come out of BMW - pictures of a lower riding - more agressive looking 7 series, and of course - they admit that M is developing a high output version of the 6.0L V12 - good for at least 600 naturally aspirated horsepower. Keep in mind two words: Turbo Lag.

I think that BMW and MB can keep up. If I remember right, isn't it audi who classically plays catchup? No one doubts that the 6.0 W12 biturbo A8 will be a great car, but what happens when A8 gets Phaeon's platform (heavier - it isn't aluminum space frame)? Also, can a W12 ever be as smooth as a real V12 - keep in mind that a V12 is supremely smooth because of the natural balance of the Inline 6 (v12 being 2 inline sixes), a W12 is twin V-6's hooked up together - the V6 not being nearly as smooth as an inline (lack of natural balance). It will be interesting to see whose car comes out on top? Who knows, GM is coming out with a 9.2L V16 cadillac, that could (though incredibly unlikely) beat the best of europe. I will although admit, I have always wanted to do a 4 wheel burnout, i think the RS8 may just be capable.

• 4 Monate später...

Im sorry to inform you there will be no RS8 for many years so have fun waiting. The 2003 A8 will infact not be using the VW's heavier body ect, it still uses the Space Frame. Before you pass judgement call me a liar and such let me explain myself. My father is a high ranking executive for Audi, i know much about what tech is utilized in their products. Unlike the bulky boat like 7-series the new A8 will be light more responsive and less confusing to control. I have driven both and not to be bias towards t he Audi but it truly exceeds the BMW in all catagories. Ok now back to my point, if you have any questions pertaining any cars in the audi line up or need tech advice feel free to email me or Instant message me. Good Day.

THEskyliner

Yes, we are all very happy to see A8 riding on an aluminum space frame as it should, and I do happen to know this platform (without modifications) will not support the 600hp Twin Turbo W12. Just the same I think it will be better.

Keep in mind the jaguar XJ uses aluminum intensive contruction, is lighter, and looks to be a serious contender, as well as the most direct competition to the A8 (7 series now being more like an S class).

• 1 Monat später...

Hey people,I heard that it will have the same spec as the bentley cotinental gt coupe meaning around 750-800bhp and atleast 900nm of torque.I may be mistaken but I was told by an audi employee.I was also told that the next rs6 would have a 535bhp v10.

firstly, that is norwegian, and those are some great pics of the new A8 and S8. It looks as though they are saying that is an RS8 appeared, it would feature a 500hp 4.5L twin turbo V8 (huh, didn't porsche just debut one of those). They also re-iterated that it is an AMG S55 challenger.

• 3 Wochen später...

word I heard is that NO audi will be using the lamborghini engine, and they will continue to use in-house powerplants. I also heard RS8 was cancelled (I am not sure about that one).

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo imported_M,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema Audi S / RS / R (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

Its the audi rsr thats going to use the gallardo's v10. The rs6 might use it as well.The audi rsr will use the same chassis and running gear as the gallardo but will have different driving characteristics

Isn't the RSR basically the Nuvolari? If so then that is the Gallardo engine that I'm talking about. Anyways I don't know about the cancellation of the RS8 either. I think it will be made, and if they make it it will probably have the Gallardo engine. And might I say, it's a sweet engine. I hope someone makes a Nitrous-assisted Super-Charged Intercooled Quad-Turbo W-20 engine. That should put out a good 2000HP or so. It'll be amazing to have that in a super-sport car. Of course it will probably fly into the outer atmosphere, but it's still good to dream, ain't it?

• 2 Wochen später...

Well, a few things.

VW has put out official press releases saying the following:

Current Plans include no RS8

Lamborghini engines will not go into any other production car.

Unless they change their mind, RSR will likely be powered by a turbocharged Audi/VW engine. The RS8 simply wasn't practical, there was no market, and there was very little interest in spending the development costs. It would be a cool car, but Audi would sooner take on M5 with RS6 than fight mercedes for their 1200 S55 sales annually. Anyhow, the next S8 will come very close to S55 like performance.

A W20 wouln't be easy to do. A W20 would be two V10 linked together. A V10 naturally vibrates quite a bit, and the W configuration is prone to resonance in the block, the combination of the two gets very difficult to make workable. Also, VW loves their turbochargers, so a supercharger would be a long-shot. You could, if you were crazy enough, press the W16 all the way to 2,000, it wouldn't be easy though. I'd like to see the 6X turbo, 6X intercooled, 5V/cylender, W24, displacing 12L, a 120 valve motor, and it could press better than 1500 hp. Fun huh?

These ideas of ours are very "fun" indeed. But not so sane! I could think up an Octa-Turbocharged/Supercharged Octa-Intercooled Nitrous-assisted W32 160-Valve engine with infinitely smart valve-timing and other techniques, displacing not 16, but 32Litres! (1L/Cyl.). This should be good for 3200Horses at least. And the engine you were talking about, would make far more than 1500HP (shouldn't it, logically?).

Also, I don't mean Lamborghini engines being used in Audis, I mean Audi or VW engines being used in Lamborghinis. Hence, the Gallardo, although first to use the engine, would only have a clone engine from the top of the VW empire.

• 3 Wochen später...

I'd like to see that press release because VW is using the new Lambo V10 in the RSR. it will be dutuned from the Gallardo's 492 hp to 414 hp.

The same V10 is being showcased in the design-study Nuvolari but in this case they tune it to 600hp using biturbo. Dont expect the Nuvolari to make it into production in this form, though, because it is only a design exercise and is solely to highlight Audi's vision of future design cues (just like the Avus).

Make no mistake, the V-10 is 100% Sant'Agata (ei lamborghini). And as for V10's being inherintly unbalanced. Ummmm No. You have been spending too much time with American cars. This 5.0 liter V10 is very compact and designed to specs as tiny as swiss watches. In fact Grand prix cars are almost all V10's these days

Audi is very wise to share this powerplant with it's own upcoming high end models. Watch when this thing comes out... the sound will turn heads twice as often as the modena. And when those heads turn and see that sound coming from an Audi.... :o

Just to confirm the last post. Audi will be using the Gallardo's V10 in it's RSR sports car and detuned as stated above. I do however remember reading somwhere that the V10 was an audi design and not a lamboorghini 'orginal' shall we say.

As for V10's and their smoothness. V10's are an inherently unbalanced design (american or otherwise) it really doesn't matter how tight the tolerences are. Manufacturering tolerences can only reduce this to a certain degree. If you doun't believe me read the latest issue of Automobile Magazine. It has a great article on the 'baby' lambo and some very nice pictures as well. I hate to flog the V10 issue anymore but the fact that they are used in F1 is not a vaild arugment as to their smoothness and refinement. Race engines by their very nature are unrefined. Powerful yes, but scraficies are made in smoothness and refinement in an effort to create a powerful engine. Formula 1 engines are also a far cry from that of any street car engine.

Theoretically, the best V-angle for a V10 is 72°. Like two inline-5 mated together, there is no vibration in vertical and transverse directions, but there is vibration from end to end of the engine, thus require a balancer shaft installed in the V-valley for best balance. However, there is no vibration between bank and bank because pistons in both banks are in the same positions. THere you have it boys (and girls I hope). I found this on some website. It shows that a V10 is unbalenced by design and requies a balance shaft to eliminate these vibrations.

I'll concede the V10 thing - honestly not my area of expertise but what I was trying to say is that the V10 in question was designed to be compact to overcome any natural unbalance (same automobile mag article you referred to).

I am certain this engine is a Lambo design. I cant find the article I saw that in but would put money on it (I can confirm it is manufactured in the lambo shop). I would think anyways that if there is one thing that they made sure was not pulled out of the parts-bin, it would be the engine. I dont think lamborghini enthousiasts would be happy if they found out they stuck a "plain" old vw engine (we all know its not plain but the general public would laugh) in the Gallardo. How well do you think the Modena would have done if it was known that the engine came from Fiat (in this case the parent co.)

It really is a tough to know what came from where these days when it comes to VW/Audi/Lambo/Bugatti/Bently. VW has done such an amazing job of turning around every company it brings under its wings. Design chiefs are shuffled around like crazy so although it is likely a german guy had a hand in this V10 it still has very obvious Lambo roots.

hehe... :wink: i think we've changed topics. I havent mentioned the Rs8 once.

Yeah, your right they have gone to great lengths in order to reduce the unbalanced nature of the V10 I also agree with the fact that the V10 is a lambo engine, it is infact built in their own factory. The engine does have obvious lambo roots as well. I just thought I recalled that the design was audi's oh well no worries. Like you said its hard to say what comes from where anymore.

No I believe he may have been addressing a previous post that was made in the distant past. You and Patrick exchanged a long series of posts so I bet others are a bit lost as to what you two are talking about.

And GIR, I don't think Honda has the exclusive rights to rotary engines. I don't even think they came up with it.

uum dunno. I read somewhere in the past some Japanese company bought exclusive rights to Wankler engines for their motorcycles. Anywayz

The engine will be a bi-turbocharded 6.0l W12 good for around 600 BHP.

I thought W12 stands for Wankler 12 chambers. Maybe I have it confused with something else.

Actually the W refers to VW's new engine layout concept. There is a w8, a w12, and a w16. Try to imagine this: 2 VR6 engines spliced together at the bases of their crankcases in the shape of a V. The VR6 engine only has 15 degrees between each bank of cylinders: the VR6 uses a single cylinder head for both banks of cylinders, even though it is of V design. Anyway, the 2 VR6 engines are forced to share the same specialized crankshaft. Think: from the outside, it looks like a V engine, but on each side, (each "bank") there is an individual VR6: the W12 is essentially a double V engine.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...