SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

New Audi RS6

Seb2

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • 2 Monate später...
  • 2 Monate später...
  • 2 Wochen später...

The audi will get a twin turbo 4.2L 40 valve v8 - up to 450hp. I have heard it is only coming to the US in auto w/tiptronic form. That is too bad. Also, why do VW and Audi make competing technology - why develop the 4.0W8 when you have 4.2L V8 (don't say just for the Passat W8 - because they are only making 8,000 a year - not enough to design a new engine)? The W8 also could easily be adapted to the turbo and gas direct injection technology developed for Veryon - which uses an engine identical in archetecture. Also, why develop 1.8T (180hp), 2.8L VR6 (174 and 200 hp) and 2.8L 5V (190 and 200hp) - 3 engines in the same range? The RS6 is unlikely (on paper) to be faster than a 996 Turbo - the weight on the RS6 is approximately 3800lbs - to 450 hp - 8.44lbs./hp - now the 3250lb 996Turbo - 415hp 7.83lbs./hp. The new M5 gets valvetronic (no throttle - uses infinately variable valve timing instead) and gas direct injection in its V10. I wonder if RS6 gets variable valve timing w/ turbo boost integration - that is where the wastegate and valvetiming are synchronized - the net effect - no turbo lag, and often a 5+% gain in horsepower.

I dont know how great the Direct fuel injection is. Audi say its the secret to their Lemans victories. Well this is a smart draw to say. I have now seen the RS6 in real it has a fantastic sound i think. I think we have a new muscle car war. New RS8 W12 Biturbo 600hp. GHAA. Theres no manual gearbox for RS6. Its a tiptronic/auto you choose what you want to use. You can even use the paddles on the steeringwheel like F1 style. But its nothing against the SMG or Ferrari gearbox.

do you think the W12 can opperate at the smoothness standards set by audi? on paper, that thing should shake like it has a jack-hammer on it. Have you driven the Passatt W8 back to back with an A6 4.2? There is simply no comparisson - the W8 does save weight and space, but is also by nature less civilized than its more standard counterparts. Gas direct injection decreases fuel consumption by 20% by avereage - so instead of look at it as safe 20% power, take the reciprocal of 80% (the new fuel usage) which is 125%, which is how much power theoretically the engine can make on the same amount of fuel using gas direct injection. It allows more power on the same amount of fuel - therefore, it is truly amazing. 600hp with 4250lbs behind it is 7.1lbs./hp. which is impressive. I look forward to seeing how Audi/VW corrects the natural vibration created by a "W" style engine

Also - tiptronic is no substitute for an F1 or a manual. BMW's SMG gearbox can make gear changes in approximately 15 milliseconds - the cabriocorsa that Maserati and Ferrari use is similar in speed. The best that a tiptronic (a single sun planetary gearbos) has been tested to switch is in the low 100s (and that doesn't count the time for the torque converter to get back to full efficency)

A true sports car needs a real manual, whether it be F1 or rowed needs a good manual. A planetary set up with a torque converter is just sufficent. I use to drive my fathers Audi 1.8T from time to time - I know for sure that I can shift gears faster than that did in tiptronic mode.

Audi officially released production info on RS6

The good:

I: 930 of them will make it to US by 2005 (last model year of current plaform)

II: It makes 450 hp/415 ft./lb. from a "Bi-Turbo" 4.2L 40V V8

III: Has Quattro AWD

IV: 0-60 (factory number) of 4.6 seconds (yes, only 2 american builts cars can top that)

V: It looks incredible with aerodynamics package

The Bad

I: It weighs just shy of 4,100lbs curb weight

II: Only comes with 5 speed tiptronic automatic

III: Only Sedan, no Avant for US

IV: Direct Injection did not make it into this engine (too many problems - just scrapped it)

V: 63:37 Weight distrobution (it won't handle like a ferrari I guess)

The interesting:

The W12 engine would fit into the current A6 platform without any modifications (imagine the 600hp RS8 engine in the RS6)

Have any thoughts?

• 6 Monate später...

i think that not using a manual gearbox is a mistake. automatics are just more complicated. the more intricate things are, the more likely something will go wrong, and Audi unfortunately does not have the greatest service records. personally, i'm not a fan of the Avants, so sedan only isn't really a big deal to me.

i myself would never drive an Avant. I just like the idea of one being that fast. Audi can only use an autobox for 2 reasons: 1. Volkswagen does not have in its parts bin a manual box with the capacity to take on that much torque 2. Not everyone can shift through the gears well enough to handle that much power, which had always been a limiting factor to M5. Audi makes a good autobox, i myself prefer a manual, but i can see why they did it.

exactly!

and BMW is going to release the next M5 with an estate as an option.

i can hardly imagine that. two midsize wagons pulling 0-60 in sub 4.5s.

if you told anyone that 10 years ago they would have laughed histerically at you.

• 1 Monat später...

I don't like any of the Estate versions. I mean who really needs to take a 500HP monster camping or fishing? I can't imagine why anyone would opt for such a non-sensical combination of power and space.

Also, I should mention that if the M5 and RS6 are direct competitors, the 2004M5 is about to kill the RS6 with ~500HP. It can do 0-60 is well under 5 seconds. And the good thing is if I never get to own one in my lifetime at least I'll see them everywhere. The RS6, however, is not going to be appearing in Canada (eventhough they will have it in the U.S., in an Automatic version). This is (supposedly) due to Canada's "unique" bumper regulations. Doesn't make any sense to me, but in a way it's no big loss for Audi because not too many people up here would even buy the RS6 if we were going to get it.

the current RS6 with the 5spd automatic can 0-60 in under 4.5 seconds, and the 500+ horsepower 2004 M5 will 0-60 in sub 4. Some just like station wagons, maybe it is the look? admit it would be cool to beat a corvette in an estate.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...