EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

BMW M5 with V10 engine

Gast RolandK

Empfohlene Beiträge

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

WOW, that is all I can say, WOW.

The M5 is so fast already, and with a V10, I can't even imagine the speed this beauty will have.

I think it is great.

But now I would like to see the M3 with a bigger displacement engine. That would be fantastic.

Yes you are right. I read some reports in mags about this new engine. But my friend doing the engine tests at BMW M told me this 1.5 years ago. I'm only 5 miles away from the BMW M development center.

But you are right too saying that the new AMG Mercedes will be a tough competitor for BMWs M5. In my opinion BMW slept too much in the last couple of months. They have to do someting.

Roland

• 3 Wochen später...
Gast BimmerSteven

The idea of a V10 powered M5 doesn't entice me. Then again, I had a tough time adjusting to the new M5 being a V8. What's the world coming to when Porsche is rumored to be looking into an 8 cylinder for the 911 and BMW is looking into a 10?! :eek:

I'll just stick to buying used Bimmers. You all go buy your V10 M5's and I'll be living it up in inline-6 land...

Well, I think BMW has not slept at all...M-B has their 450hp cars but one thing sucks, they promise that u can drive it 0-100km/h in 5.2 seconds and then when it´s tested the time shows 5.6 s, over and over again but still just 5.6s. and u have to pay you´re ass for a M-B. When the new M3 came out they promised 5.2 s and the best Í´ve read off is 5.1 secs so F**K M-B...hehe...I´m driving a E30 -90 M3 with 260BHP and I like it but I´m saving for a new 330Ci cause I dont want to wait for a new M3...I´ve been thinking to order a kompressor to it so the HP would jump to ~290

• 1 Monat später...

i dont think bmw is getting behind, on the contrary, it is way ahead of m-b's AMG or audi's S, with this new M5 it'll bring up a whole new market and m-b will stay with its far too expensive boring to drive boxes

Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo Gast RolandK,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema BMW M (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

On 2001-08-24 13:57, RolandK wrote:

We heard from our BMW contacts that BMW is testing a BMW M5 with a V10 engine right now.

Power will be about 480hp.

What is your opinion on this new engine type?

Roland

:oops::mad:

I reckon 480 to 500bhp is a good thing in any engine form because BMW seems to be losing interest in power to me. The new E55 Kompressor has 450bhp and the Audi RS6 has nearly 500.

BMW M need to ram something crazy into the M5 and lose it some kilos. Then it'sll really be a winner. :wink:

• 2 Wochen später...

V10, 5 litres, 40 valves, possible magnesium compisite block, 370 kilowatts. simply awsome.

It has risen in papers that this is what will be powering the next M5 and future M6 sportscar.

If this engine makes production with the same amazing facts and figures, BMW will be back on top of the power tree.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Well... What's wrong with a V8? Surely 500hp can be easily squeezed out with nearly as much torque.

I know that things are getting out of hand with some manufacturers (MB Audi...) which are really getting carried away with this hp-business. Sure, it's easier to advertise horsepower and 0-60 -acceleration (even then manufacturer's claims) than lap times and 'real world performance'.

Just take a look at what Audi is planning with it's S-models and especially AMG! It's always just topping the power that they're interested in. And that's easy: just put a huge engine in and/or bolt in a turbo or compressor. Where's the limit?

The REAL art lies in making a car that's great to drive and fast. It's not so easy to make a light, small and powerful engine. Maybe manufacturers just don't see why to bother? So many people just look at the horsepower.

It's a good sign that BMW has given some indications that they're interested in making their cars light (i.e.CSL, Z8), and of course BMW's power/performance rate has always been excellent.

Still, it worries me that the M5 engine is selected by marketing reasons: they want to take full use of their F1-involvement. The V10 is so that people will associate M5 to F1. It could however be that the advantages beat the disadvantages. Maybe they can make the V10 only marginally heavier and of course there's probably more torque to gain.

As I said, surely a V8 would do better. Come on, even TVR's straight six produces 390hp and nearly 500Nm! Over 100hp/liter isn't rare these days, even without losing torque or character.

Good points Tuscan. Think you are right on the most. BMWs engines are quite heavy. A M5 5.0l eninge weights more them Mercedes AMG 5.5l. And that engine will next be with a supercharger. I think Mercedes is making the right decision. A turbo would give some lagg wich a Mercedes cant have. Supercharger is hard on the fuel economy but way better then a V10. Gives alot of torque. Its right Mercedes cant stay with just around 360hp. Im sure the M factory wont make the new M5 slower on tracks then the old. I know they are testing their cars very hard on track.

• 1 Monat später...

On 2001-11-23 13:37, Seb wrote:

Good points Tuscan. Think you are right on the most. BMWs engines are quite heavy. A M5 5.0l eninge weights more them Mercedes AMG 5.5l. And that engine will next be with a supercharger. I think Mercedes is making the right decision. A turbo would give some lagg wich a Mercedes cant have. Supercharger is hard on the fuel economy but way better then a V10. Gives alot of torque. Its right Mercedes cant stay with just around 360hp. Im sure the M factory wont make the new M5 slower on tracks then the old. I know they are testing their cars very hard on track.

I don´t thing BMW is wrong on use non-turbo engines. I agree that is lost change the V8 M5 engine but remember that BMW produces the Mclaren F1 engine over 10 years ago and still one of the best engines ever builded.

The use of turbo engines is an facility to sell power and more power although you didn´t drive the power. You drive a good torque curve in the entire RPM range. So Audi and Mercedes are geting a short way to power and forgetting the engine technology in the future they will pay for it.

I rather for high RPM engine because it´s much more fun to drive and you don´t get the punch of a turbo for a little RPM range than the engine is over.

Take a compare between M3 95, M3 2000 and RS2 95, RS4 2000.

RS2 and RS4 are Drag cars and M3s the Ultimate Drive Machine. Don´t forget that in the road you don´t want a drag car because you will over 160 Km/h.

So you choose!

• 2 Wochen später...

bmw 2002ti...the beast...the beauty...dont u miss the days of turbocharged bmws? cant wait for a turbocharged M car.M3 or M5 doesn't make a difference, just turbo powa

untill that i will stick with me mitsubishi evolution 6 zero fighter:D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: whodini on 2002-01-30 14:53 ]</font>

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...