EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

944 Advice

burnet

Empfohlene Beiträge

Hi, I am thinking to buy a 944 2.5 (not turbo) from 1987. The engine of the car has been changed 3 times in its life. On the clock the car got 151K miles, but in 2001 the engine was change for a used one. the problem is that the owner doens't know how many miles the engine got now.

I would apreciate your advice.

Regards

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »
  • Antworten 55
  • Erstellt
  • Letzte Antwort

I would pass on this car and wait until something better comes up. There are plenty of 944's out there so don't be in a hurry. One of the most important things is to make sure the car has all its service records. I would save my money and by a 944S2. Good luck

I agree, it has obviously been abused to kill that many engines, so who knows what else is lurking in there. Wait for a turbo or S2 variant. Far superior!

• 1 Monat später...

3 engine replacements is a lot. Even if the engine is in good shape, who knows how the other parts (like the transmission) suffered. I had an old 944 once. The previous owner REALLY abused it. The clutch and rear end were about totally worn out, but the engine was still very strong. If this car went through 2 other engines, then I would definitely check out the service records. If the transmission is original, pass it up. You'll be paying thousands of dollars to have it fixed. Trust me, I got an estimate on my car.

• 1 Monat später...

You sure? 928s' and 911s' seem practical enough to be daily drivers. I think the 924/944 catered to people who had never owned a Porsche before. They knew there was money to be made in the entry level market, especially since Porsche's image was particularly strong in the 80's. At least it seemed that way.

Back then everybody seemed to either want a Countach, a Testarossa, or a 911. Those were the dream cars.

the 944 was the every man's porsche of it's day, and it deserves respect for being a good little performance car that felt porsche without the price. You could see the same logo as the guy with the 911 on your steering wheel, that was good enough. As a car though, i don't think 944 did the porsche name justice.

• 4 Wochen später...

Well, maybe not as much as the average Porsche-lover would have wanted. It was a great car. I'm looking to buy one, in fact. the only complaint I have is that it looks a bit too much like an old Mazda RX-7. That's about it. It's the only complaint I have. The price can't be beat, if you want a Porsche.

There is a general resemblance, but I don't think anyone who knows of either one by name would make the mistake.

007.jpg

Thats a nice looking example, I think if I were to buy one it would be post 85.5 to get the new dash and other improvements. I would even think S2 so I got the Turbo style front and rear.

My father has had a 944 for a very long time now. It has held up beautifully. For a car that cost 30,000, it was a very nice car. The performance figures are pretty nice, especially 15 years ago. The handling is still better on that car than on most sports cars today (S4's and most MB's and the mid 1990's M3's). Its really very pretty in silver too.

For $30,000 I wouldn't expect a cheapo car, especially in the eighties.

I would have to disagree though on 944 handling being better that of an E36 M3 ( mid-90's ). That was, and still is one of the very best handling cars around.

I think I'll have to agree with LNC on that .. I drove a '97 M3 yesterday -- the first time i've ever driven one.. the seller (who was riding with me) said I scared him :lol: .. I wasnt scared though, that thing stuck to the road like glue...

As for the 944, they weren't balanced very well, were they?

They were a fabulously balanced car, something close to 5050 if I remember correctly. Since it is a front engined car, Porsche mover the transmission to the rear to improve balance. The '88 944 had a skidpad rating of .89 g's. Thats .1g worse than an '03 SL55 and .2g's under the '97 M3's rating (so I was wrong about the mid-90's BMW's). However its the same rating as the '89 Ferrari Mondial and the '89 Countach, and .2g's better than an '87 Testarossa. For 30,000, and today for 5) the 944 is a capable sports car. It is true that the top speed on the non-turbo model is 133mph and 0-60 is in the mid 6's, but for 5 grand, its an agile, fun little sports car. It also has a wonderful noise, especially for a four-cylinder.

5 grand to buy, but to upkeep one costs on par with any mid-80's porsche-- which means expensive timing belt changes and tension adjustments, engineering that causes you to drop the whole rear suspension to get to the tranny, if you opt for the turbo model then you have to maintain the notriously finnicky turbos-- not to mention that no ordinary porsche mechanic today is trained to work on them, so you have to find guys who were fixiing them in the 80's and are still around today. (read huge per hour rates) It could be a neat car, but most of them have not been babied-- the ones that have been well maintained and cared for are for sale in autotrader for $15,000.... the ones for 5k usually need to have a lot of money dumped into them to make them right... I'm not trying to dump on the car-- i was thinking about buying one a year ago until i strated looking and found all this out..

Still, 15 grand doesn't even get you a Kia Sadona. I recommend this car to any one who can find one in descent condition. It is fun to drive, handles like a dream, has a beautiful sound, and even better body styling (in silver anyways). It is also fairly practical.

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...