EUROPAS GROßE
SPORTWAGEN COMMUNITY

2003 Porsche 980

a007apl

Empfohlene Beiträge

According to a report in the July 5th issue of "Autocar" magazine, Porsche may be working on a twin Turbo V8 super car to compete with the Mercedes SLR and the Lamborghini Canto. The article states that the Porsche 980 could be on display as early as next years Detroit Motor Show and may become available for sale in 2003 at $360,000. First revealed by Autocar's sister magazine "Auto Motor Und Sport", the new car, codenamed S1, would be Porsche's most high tech road car yet.

image033.jpg

Photo: www.motor-presse-online.de

Autocar reports that according to internal sources, the S1 concept draws on the 911 GT1 built in limited numbers in 1996 to satisfy regulations laid down by the FIA, the world motorsport governing body but unlike the LeMans challenger, it is being developed for road use from the outset.

The starting point is rumored to be an ultra-stiff yet lightweight carbon fiber monocoque similar to that employed by Ferrari with the F50 and expected to be used by Mercedes with the SLR. This should ensure the S1 complies with all relevant safety standards while keeping weight at a reasonable level.

To ensure that the S1 becomes the fastest road-going Porsche of all time, work is reportedly underway to develop a high potency version of the all aluminum 4.5-liter engine that will debut in the Cayenne. The twin-turbo 5.4-liter 32valve V8 is expected to be a mid-mounted 90-degree unit is in development of the

The S1's engine features two chain-driven camshafts per bank and variable valve timing. While details remain scarce, Autocar's Porsche sources claim the new powerplant is already delivering in excess of 660bhp on the test bed with more power possible if the boost pressure is raised. With upcoming stringent European Union emission standards, the challenge of keeping the engine tractable enough for road use could be a difficult task. But engineers think 700bhp and 225mph (360kph) is possible.

The task of getting that power and torque to the rear wheels will be assigned to a sequential six-speed manual gearbox and may include paddle-style shifters behind the steering wheel as in the Ferrari's F1 system.

Porsche has reportedly selected rear-wheel drive for the S1 due to concerns about weight and high engineering costs associated with the development of a four-wheel drive system capable of accepting such power.

Jetzt registrieren, um Themenwerbung zu deaktivieren »

Did you see this in the July of 2002 issue of Autocar? I would like to check the article out. I also ask because it is 2003, and I have heard nothing of a car of this magnitude besides the Carrera GT.

On a separate note... It doesn't make sense that they (Porsche) would produce another supercar (of this caliber or price) without knowing whether or not the Carrera GT will even be a success.

Though, I must say that I think it is a very good looking car! :wink:

Right on Bro. I agree with you completely. I don't think Porsche would willingly hang themselves by producing two super-car concepts in an economically unstable world. Not only that, but that's the first I've ever heven seen a pic of a "980". Looks like an abandoned concept. 2003 probably means it was designed "FOR" 2003. It just loks like a stretched Carrera.

Let me put a new wrinkle into the fold. This from supercars.net:

"According to rumors, the Porsche 980 (internal code S1) carbon fiber body supercar was to be introduced at the Detroit Auto Show in 2001. Based on Porsche's next-generation Le Mans racecar its 700 horsepower 5.4 liter, twin-turbo mid-engine V8 (derived from the V8 developed for the new Cayenne SUV) should have propelled it to a top speed of 224 mph (360.5 km/h), making it the fastest production car in the world. Production was expected for 2003, with a price estimated at 750,000 DM (US $365,000).

However, this rumoured car was just that -- a rumour. It is now believed the image was just a computer graphic designed by a car magazine that spread like wild fire through the automotive circles. It served well as a cover for the Carrera GT concept car, which has the same concept, but with a V10 producing 550 HP.

So don't be expecting this car in your Porsche dealership -- ever."

It didn't make sense that they would create two supercars of this magnitude at the same time. If the Carrera GT is a success, then it would seem more believable that they would create a car with better performance. :wink:

Exactly. Morover why would Porsche commit such senseless suicide? I can't find any other pics of this, and I can't find much valuable info either. Only note-worthy thing I found was that it would "easily bypass the McLaren F1's 391KPH max. speed". which sounds right, considering the fact that this thing would be made Porsche (if it WAS going to be built), and that it's got 700HP. As soon as I find a different picture of this I'll post it.

• 2 Monate später...
Anzeige eBay
Geschrieben
Geschrieben

Hallo a007apl,

schau doch mal hier zum Thema andere Modelle - Porsche (Anzeige)? Eventuell gibt es dort etwas Passendes.

Der V16 Motor zum Selberbauen (Anzeige) ist auch genial.

• Gefällt Carpassion.com 1

Archiviert

Dieses Thema ist archiviert und für weitere Antworten gesperrt. Erstelle doch dein eigenes Thema im passenden Forum.

• Neu erstellen...